1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
Next

Last
  1. JKDJedi
    Mine came directly from China, do I have a counterfeit? Oh oh, and with super cheap tubes, both unmarked and the power tube with a loose base, tossed it immediately. Preamp is decoration on my desk. :)

ggillies likes this.
  2. ggillies
    OOOOOOH!!!!!! Tidal MQA, The Who "Live at Leeds" Magic Bus... Phenomenal !!!

JKDJedi likes this.
  3. JKDJedi
    Dude...great recording there. What cans are you using with the Darkness?
    Edit: YOung MAn Blues is SICK!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. ggillies
    I'm alternating between my OppoDigital PM3s and my Focal Clears. The Focals are quite a bit better.

You're right, Young Man Blues is just epic. That and Magic bus sound insanely good. I'm beginning to think this may be the best LIVE rock album/recording I have ever heard.

Cheers.

5. JKDJedi
    That was a very good find, I listened to the whole album last night, thanks for sharing! This morning I did a quick research, and found this at Wikipedia "Since its release, Live at Leeds has been cited by several music critics as the best live rock recording of all time". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Leeds

6. ggillies
    I can see why. Despite some of the florid language a couple of the reviewers used, I agree with their general gist, that this album is raw, wild, dangerous and bloody, bloody good!

New tubes arrived. Pics to follow.

JKDJedi likes this.
  7. ggillies
    So far, I'm liking the NOS GE 6080 Five Star, combined with the Sylvania 6SN7W the best. There's something about the Ken-Rad that's not doing it for me. Here are my listening notes, re: the Ken-Rad/GE combo, vs the Sylvania/GE combo:

Vocals more forward. Bass better controlled, tighter than stock tubes, but a bit lacking in quantity and impact vs Sylvania/GE..

Slightly better resolution of details than stock; Sylvania/GE even better.

Treble seems rolled off and lacking in quantity and bite on Magic bus vs Sylvania/GE.

Treble seems ok on Down to the Waterline, but still not as good as Sylvania/GE.

Soundstage seems a bit closed in, lacking height and depth.

JKDJedi likes this.
  8. JKDJedi
    I was tempted to add to the collection but got the eagle eye from the wifey.. :D maybe next month
    I'd give these tubes 48 hours of burn in before judging, just plug em in and leave on for 2 days.

9. 518victoryu
    Will 6EM7 tubes work with the darkvoice?

10. ggillies
    60 hours of burn-in has the Sylvania and KenRad totally quiet (no hum or any other noises at all) and sounding great.

I still like the Sylvania better, but the gap has narrowed. I am noticing subtle differences between the two that might lend each one to different styles of music. Overall, the Sylvania has the best balance, but the KenRad has it's strengths, especially in bringing vocals a bit more forward and giving more resolution. The Sylvania has better bass and more overall punch. In "Trip Like I Do" off the Crystal Method's Vegas album, there's a "break" where the music goes from relatively quiet and then just explodes... The Sylvania has a lot more SLAM at that point, so much so, that I had to turn the volume down, where I didn't have to with the KenRad.

11. JKDJedi
    Anybody using Audeze with the Darkness? Or are Planars pretty much a pass for OTL amps?

12. SylvesterH
    Hi. I do have a Oppo PM-2 (planar magnetic) and it has no issues with my setup (DV 336).

13. JKDJedi
    So I'm really on the fence over which tube to grab next, wanting a hall of fame tube. NOS Philips Mullard made 6080 vs. NOSTung Sol Chatham Domino plate 5998. I currently have a NOS Philco 6AS7 paired with the Electro-Harmonics in the front that sound amazing for my HD6XX. Of the 2 mentioned above, is it worth grabbing both or which one would add some gravy to what I have now?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  14. ggillies
    And I am using the OPPO PM3s which are also Planars. They sound great and no trouble for the 336 to drive. I can barely stand the volume at 9 o'clock, so no issues with power/volume.

JKDJedi likes this.
  15. JKDJedi
    Just got the American made Philips 6080 tube and waiting for the Mullard made Philips (England) 6080 to compare how they sound with the Darkvoice336se. Just for fun. Its a Hobby..right ? :D
    0207191209.jpg

ggillies likes this.
First

Back
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
Next

Last