Darkest planar magnetic headphones?
Apr 25, 2021 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

squadgazzz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone! I'm looking for the darkest planar headphones. Today I use Campfire Cascade which has huge bass and great details at the same time. But Cascade has a very annoying tube effect. I've tried to compare them with Audeze LCD-2 Closed and I really liked LCD's bass response which doesn't have this tube effect. But LCD is too bright for me. Trembles are almost killed my ears. I know, that planars are designed for flat frequency response. But does any dark planar exist? It would be great if it's priced below $2000. :relaxed:

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 19
Want the darkest Planar headphone, just use black paint.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 19
The Final D8000 has a rather smooth, non-fatiguing frequency response but is on the more expensive side of things.

I find the Audeze Sine DX to be pretty relaxed and smooth in the treble department. They're pretty rare, however.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 19
Try the LCD-3 Pre-Fazor

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #7 of 19
LCD-2C is dark. I don't have much to compare it to.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 19
LCD-2C is a lot darker than the closed back.
Which is also a reason, why I liked them so much.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 19
It's been a while. Since then, I have tried Modhouse Argon Mk3. Yeah, they are amazing. Dark enough I guess. But overall quality concedes to CA Cascade.
So Modhouse MK3 would be a starting point for me to find perfect headphones)
I'm not sure it's possible to EQ some other headphones to sound so dark and spacious. LCD-2C for example.

I've heard about ZMF Vérité Closed. I would ask again about other options :relieved:

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 19
I’m going to jump on this and say that LCD-2C is very warm. It’s like drinking hot chocolate in a cold wintry day (for a planar). The Argons to me are pretty dark too I guess. I love listening Jazz with them on my head

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 19
I’m going to jump on this and say that LCD-2C is very warm. It’s like drinking hot chocolate in a cold wintry day (for a planar). The Argons to me are pretty dark too I guess. I love listening Jazz with them on my head
So are you saying that the darkness of LCD-2C and Argons are about the same? What about a bass response?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 19
another vote for prefazor LCD-2 / LCD-2C, it is the darkest headphone I have heard that has high-end sound quality.
HE-500 is fairly dark with good SQ but not as dark as LCD2C.
there are some TH50rp mods that is dark but none has the same level of SQ as an LCD2. But I have not hear the Argon in particular.

Audeze brings back the classic, prefazor model for a reason.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 19
another vote for prefazor LCD-2 / LCD-2C, it is the darkest headphone I have heard that has high-end sound quality.
HE-500 is fairly dark with good SQ but not as dark as LCD2C.
there are some TH50rp mods that is dark but none has the same level of SQ as an LCD2. But I have not hear the Argon in particular.

Audeze brings back the classic, prefazor model for a reason.
Thanks. How would you describe the sound difference between LCD-2 prefazor and classic?

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 19
Thanks. How would you describe the sound difference between LCD-2 prefazor and classic?
the LCD2 classic is supposed to be the same as the pre fazor LCD-2.
However the very early LCD2s struggles in consistency as Audeze's quality control is not the best back then, so prefazor LCD2 could sound different between units.
some warmer, some has tighter bass, some even darker etc.. but anyway they are all dark sounding

That said, I wouldn't recommend getting a prefazor model. go for the 2C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back