Darkest Desires Part V
Oct 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #2,101 of 2,645
I personally love Swanö's solo album - Moontower. Just brilliant. In fact, /me puts it on right now.

Speaking of Swedes.. I also enjoy Pain, Peter Tägtren(of Hypocrisy)'s industrial..ish metal project.

Oct 14, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #2,102 of 2,645
I decided to make a thrash compilation for the forum because there seems to be a lack of thrash debate going on. Thrash was paramount in the development of black, death, and even melo-death genres. So it's a bit of a surprise that most of this forum aren't fans. Theres is definitely more to thrash than slayer/metallica clones.

List of songs

Artillery - Khomaniac(Catchy stuff)
Cyclone - I am the Plague(^^^^^^^^^^)
Destroyer 666 - Songs Of Perdition(Brutal stuff, similar to Sodom)
Fear Of God - All That remains(prog thrash)
Rigor Mortis - Re animator(kick ass vocals)
Sodom - Tombstone(nice headbanging song)
Trouble - The tempter(yeah, not thrash, tho some songs they have thrash riffs. kick ass song never the less.)
Pariah - Canary(Nwobhm-thrash)
Intruder - Geri's lament(Tech thrash with a heavy Anthrax influence)
Coroner - Read my scars(tech/prog)
Kat - Porwany Obłędem(kick ass Polish vocals)
Torture Squad - Horror and torture(Brutal Death Thrash)

Tell me what you think after you listen

Edit-Bleh, dont want to get this thread closed so im taking the link down. pm me if you want it.

Oct 15, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #2,103 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by citywithoutmetal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to make a thrash compilation for the forum because there seems to be a lack of thrash debate going on. Thrash was paramount in the development of black, death, and even melo-death genres. So it's a bit of a surprise that most of this forum aren't fans. Theres is definitely more to thrash than slayer/metallica clones.

List of songs

Trouble - The tempter(yeah, not thrash, tho some songs they have thrash riffs. kick ass song never the less.)

Edit-Bleh, dont want to get this thread closed so im taking the link down. pm me if you want it.

wow no Kreator, or Exodus?
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #2,104 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by citywithoutmetal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

List of songs

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much love for thrash around these parts. Good list by the way, although I would be remiss not to suggest a few additions to round out your selections.

Ulysses Siren - No Trace Of Shame (Best. Thrash. Song. Ever. In my opinion anyway. Of all the thrash bands to come out of the Bay Area in the 80's, it disgusts me that they were the ones left behind.)
Shah - Age Of Dismay (Guitar triplets a-go-go. Jon Schaffer doesn't have **** on these guys.)
Toxic Holocaust - Send Them To Hell (One man thrash/black act)
Sadus - Certain Death (Technical death/thrash. Fast. Very fast.)
Morbid Saint - Assassin (Thrash your way into a neck brace.)
Metal Church - Line of Death (Lame band name, great thrash.)
Heathen - Open The Grave (Old school speed/thrash goodness.)
Carnivore - Ground Zero Brooklyn (F.Y.I.: Peter Steele made good thrash before going on to poke fun at goth kids.)

Well, thats all I've got off the top of my head. PM me if you see anything you want to hear.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #2,105 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hails to Khanate..........

If you are an apostle of doom metal you must surely have
-shape of despair
-my dying bride
-skepticism
-pantheist

Unfortunately lost the SoD CD I used to have but yet for that one, my dying bride all cd's until the songs of darkness, skepticism is a timeless classic (the march and the stream is one of the best minimalist song ever IMO), and I used to talk with various pantheist members through doom-metal.com so yes
600smile.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #2,106 of 2,645
Quote:

I did actually check out some short samples after seeing drummer was none other than famous vetran Gene Hoglan and they really are pretty good, not truely great but for an Adult Swim cartoon show band they put out amazing high quality music.

Wow! one of my favorite drummers. I need to give it a listen. Never seen the show, but will give it a watch aswell.

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #2,108 of 2,645
Yes beautiful new singer for Tristania............but nowhere close to replacing Vibeke as a dark metal diva, the partnership of Morton Veland and Vibeke on first two Tristania albums was beautiful enchanting black magic.

New intro video on youtube for Tristania singer sounds like very generic goth rock similar to Lacuna Coil etc, how the mighty have fallen.........

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #2,109 of 2,645
I've been torturing my eardrums with Arch Enemy lately. There is an very obvious AE influence on the Dethklok album. Wages of Sin is amazing. Rise Of The Tyrant has grown on me as well. Giving Anthems Of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine a good listen at the moment. But I still find myself coming back to Wages Of Sin almost every day this week.

Oct 26, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #2,110 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been torturing my eardrums with Arch Enemy lately. There is an very obvious AE influence on the Dethklok album. Wages of Sin is amazing. Rise Of The Tyrant has grown on me as well. Giving Anthems Of Rebellion and Doomsday Machine a good listen at the moment. But I still find myself coming back to Wages Of Sin almost every day this week.

Wages was the best AE album before new Tyrant album......but the Amott brothers have taken thier dueling lead guitar sound to new levels with Tyrant, ultra sick yet so artistically executed, amazing stuff.

Anthems and Doomsday are not quite in same class but very good on thier own terms, I think I like the early pre Angela AE albums better than these two overall especially Burning Bridges.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #2,111 of 2,645
don't ge me wrong...I think she's pletty hot...

but listening to her intro video made me think more of lacuna coil, newer nightwish. Not really as dark as it used to be. Therion at least seems still dark and after forever to fall back on.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #2,112 of 2,645
Great news for Agalloch fans...

From their website:

We have finished the Sculptured record and it will be out late 2007/early 2008 on The End Records. In other news, Agalloch just finished "The White EP" for Vendlus Records which should be out late this year, or early the next. We have a few European shows scheduled now, and our in the process of scheduling a few American ones as well, all for early next 2008. Lastly, drummer Chris Greene has been replaced by Aesop of Ludicra.

I have high hopes for this album, and hopefully The End will go nuts with the packaging like last time...

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #2,113 of 2,645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news for Agalloch fans...

From their website:

We have finished the Sculptured record and it will be out late 2007/early 2008 on The End Records. In other news, Agalloch just finished "The White EP" for Vendlus Records which should be out late this year, or early the next. We have a few European shows scheduled now, and our in the process of scheduling a few American ones as well, all for early next 2008. Lastly, drummer Chris Greene has been replaced by Aesop of Ludicra.

I have high hopes for this album, and hopefully The End will go nuts with the packaging like last time...

Great news RTN, I will be buying new Agalloch without a shadow of a doubt.

Does anyone else hate the new home page for The End as much as I do? Seemed much better before with all new/restock Cds listed instead of news blurbs, must do extra steps now to see list of whats new.

RTN
Did you see Ozzy's live performance on Spike TV Scream Awards tuesday night, it was killer! Wow!
Sometimes he seems like a bumbling fool in interviews etc, but he still rocks the house on stage

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #2,114 of 2,645
Quote:

Great news RTN, I will be buying new Agalloch without a shadow of a doubt.

Does anyone else hate the new home page for The End as much as I do? Seemed much better before with all new/restock Cds listed instead of news blurbs, must do extra steps now to see list of whats new.

I agree. Enough with the friggin' Lordi news already. Good thing I get their newsletter with all the new stock and restock notices.

Quote:

RTN
Did you see Ozzy's live performance on Spike TV Scream Awards tuesday night, it was killer! Wow!
Sometimes he seems like a bumbling fool in interviews etc, but he still rocks the house on stage

No, I did not. I will have to see if I can find it. Not a fan of his last two albums, so I have been reluctant to see any new clips. To me, Ozzy should record with Sabbath, let Geezer and Tony do all the writing, and nuts to trying to live up to their former glory. Ozzy's solo career does not have any inspiration, while Tony and Geezer will always write quality music. If they wrote good riffs and lyrics that do not strain Ozzy's voice, I would be very happy. He still has a good voice, but when he strains it, that is when it goes downhill. I am sick of Zakk, so a stint with Sabbath in the recording studio would be really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back