Darkest Desires PART IV
May 7, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #16 of 1,001
In order to make this thread more newbie friendly as well for a great resource for old timers, I will now make a list of great Metal websites that you might all enjoy.

On-line Magazines :

http://www.metal-observer.com/home.php?lid=1

http://www.vampire-magazine.com/default.asp

A amazing site for all things Doom Metal :

http://doom-metal.com/

Metal Lyrics :

http://www.darklyrics.com/

On-line Stores :

http://www.theendrecords.com/omega/omega.htm

http://www.redstream.org/

http://www.blackmetal.com/

Enjoy!

May 7, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #17 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
I am listening to Katatonia BYD again today, so impressed it must get played two days straight.........

Mine didn't arrive today...maybe Monday.
Quote:

how about Tristania, you greedy person you got all three albums, just as well if you heard one you would eventually get all three.

That's what I figured and I can avoid the long wait of delivery. Also it's a hell of a lot of fun having a lapful of good music that I've never heard before!

Not until the beginning of next week will I be left alone for some good hours to digest everything though. Although without the extensive metal listening of others, FWIW I'll post MHO mid-week. But I can say thumbs up on Tristania & a confused thumbs down on the Dark Suns. I have to listen more to understand better why Dark Suns' 'Swanlike' doesn't work. I like knowing 'WHY?'.

May 8, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
But I can say thumbs up on Tristania.

wink.gif
Breaking news
wink.gif
:

I have been ensnared by 3.'Pale Enchantress' & 4.'December Elegy' of 'Widow's Weeds' and cannot seem to escape hitting repeat on the remote! Tristania is GOOD.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #20 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
wink.gif
Breaking news
wink.gif
:

I have been ensnared by 3.'Pale Enchantress' & 4.'December Elegy' of 'Widow's Weeds' and cannot seem to escape hitting repeat on the remote! Tristania is GOOD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Did you notice I ranked Tristania 4th in my recent top 50 greatest dark metal groups of all time list.......there is a reason for that.
cool.gif

May 10, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #24 of 1,001
Just thought I'd pop in and say, "hi" -- thanks for the news on Therion, et al, sounds good.

Things I've been listening to lately (darkest desires related):

Ephel Duath (yes, still)
God Forbid
Naglfar
Evergrey
The Crown
Probot
Satyricon
Virgin Black
My Dying Bride

Never really got into Khanate, esp. the second album.
Quote:

GATHERING
This used to be one of Dusty Chalk's fav groups...

Still is. Quote:

To Welcome the Fade

Excellent album.

May 11, 2004 at 12:49 PM Post #25 of 1,001
Good to see one of the most informative/knowledgeable music members back in action, Hail to DUSTY!

EMPEROR - Equilibrium
What a mess this is! Sounds very disjointed and weak, goofy keyboards, lame vocals. Tremendous letdown after great album like "anthems to welkin" good thing this CD only cost me $6 from Century Media, not terrible but not good either rate 6/10

LUCIFUGUM - Back to Chopped Roots
OK but not one of their best albums, sound quality is pretty raw also, fans of Darkthrone may like this more than I did but really pretty one dimensional. I can only rate this 7/10.

Earlier albums are better with more melody and interesting song structures:
-Instinct Prevelance
-Sortilage of Christianity

May 11, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 1,001
cover_epic.jpg

Borknagar - Epic

Release Date June 29th (in Europe anyway).

Scott

May 13, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #27 of 1,001
Quote:

JUDAS PRIEST - Metalogy LIMITED EDITION

Awesome New boxset by # 1 heavy metal legend JUDAS PRIEST! 4 CDs, 65 tracks, over 5 hours of music covering 1974-2001, all the classics plus tracks never before released on CD and unreleased material! 64 page booklet with extensive biography, discography and lots of never before seen photos. Also included is a DVD of 1982 Memphis concert! All housed in visually amazing boxset with spiked all over for pure, metal feeling! This is essential for Priest fans!

May 13, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 1,001
I think it's great that Rob Halford is back in. Lots of bands getting back together, it's great IMHO. Like Iron Maiden.....I don't even count the Blaze albums....they were just....bad.

May 13, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #29 of 1,001
Tristania
I've only made it as far as a very good dosage of Tristania's 'Widow's Weeds' & 'Beyond The Veil' and not beyond as these two are really so damned good I've been slowly savouring them as if they were juicy steaks. I've not made it to 'World Of Glass' yet.

Previously, when BRIEFLY hearing songs that contained operatic female vocals and other delicate things in metal, I thought it sounded pretentious and contrived, unnatural. Mere ornament and novelty. Something that seems like a cool concept on paper but didn't work well in practice. But knowing Tristania were of this style I reserved judgement until I could get a good long listen. I feel a little dopey describing what others are well aware of but Tristania pull it off really well. Those softer elements are integrated seamlessly. Not overdone or out of place and contributing perfectly to the whole song.

They're both quality recordings with WW a little darker in tone than BTV. #3-'Pale Enchantress' is so seductive in it's waltz-like movement. The anomaly on WW is #6-'Angellore' , when it started my first thought when hearing the keyboards was this sounds like mid-80s Iggy Pop. And the clean deep vocal had me zero in on 1986s 'Cry For Love' by Iggy and as the instrumentals just begin to irritate the chorus kicks in and all is forgiven. Iggy would die to have this chorus in any song, fantastic!

'Beyond The Veil' is even better in every way, IMHO. Every song is worthy. The first two that stood out for me were #5-'Lethean River' and #6-'...Of Ruins and a Red Nightfall'. Both songs have a spectacular, natural rhythm and flow that seems pure musical intuition. The shifting rhythms of the guitars in 'Lethean River' would be the envy of any guitar oriented rock band. It suprised me how conventional and catchy much of the guitar on the album was, really good and easily the equal of any band metal or non-metal. (It might be too conventional and catchy for some metal fundamentalists?) The first and last thirds of '...Of Ruins And Red Nightfall' are divine. Fantastic vocals and the use of hammer on bell (?) in the percussive rhythmic mix at the end of the song is genius. So good it's goose-bump inducing.

Thats two wonderful discoveries for 2004 for me: My Dying Bride and Tristania. Tristania gets me in the head & heart, while My Dying Bride gets me in the gut. If I could make a third discovery (suggestions?
smily_headphones1.gif
) I'd like something a little more fast 'n furious that'll get me in the jugular.

As for Dark Suns' 'Swanlike' I never got back to hearing it. I was disappointed by it. Lots of musical competence and varied interesting compositions but over polished. No emotion. It's like the art project of someone who spent 10 years in art school but doesn't have natural talent.

The delivery of Katatonia's 'Brave Yester Days' arrived an hour ago and is playing now. I'm only on song 7 of 13 of disc1. I'm most interested in disc2 where the 'Brave Murder Day' material is. Great mastering BTW!

May 13, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 1,001
ET
You have great potential to become "darkest desires" junkie like myself several 100 CDs later..........unfortantely Tristania lost much of thier dark edge after "veil" album with the departure of founding member Morten Veland who handled dark death vocals and much of the creative force behind the group. But with first two masterpieces they will always rank near the top of my best dark metal lists......essential 10/10

Good to see you can be honest and say that an album doesn't sound good to you also.....like "dark suns"

There is no doubt in my mind you will be very impressed by Katatonia "BYD"

If you need more ideas I have posted my top 50 list here recently:

Top 50 Melodic Dark Metal 3/2004
In order of preference, one listing per group

1)Cradle of Filth - Dusk & Her Embrace (also Cruelty & Beast, V empire, Midian)

2)Opeth - Morningrise (all Cds are essential except Damnation)

3)Dimmu Bogir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (also PEM, DCA, Stormblast)

4)Tristania - Beyond the Veil (also Widow Weeds)

5)Therion - Theli (also Vovin, Deggial, Secret of Runes)

6)Nockturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry (also Goathorn)

7)Dissection - Storm in Lights Bane/Dead Angels

8)Vinterland - Welcome My last Chapter

9)Immortal - Sons of Nothern Darkness (also Heart of Winter)

10)Satyricon - Shadowthrone (also Dark Medievil Times, Nemisis Divinia)

11)Naglfar - Vittra

12)Emperor - Nightside Eclipse (also Anthems to Welkin)

13)Edge of Sanity - Crimson (also Crimson II, Purgatory Afterglow, Spectral Sorrows)

14)In Flames - Jester Race/Black Ash Inheritance (also Whoralce, Colony, Clayman and Lunar Strain/Subterranian)

15)Carpathian Forest - Black Shining Leather (also Defending the Throne)

16)Graveland - Celtic Winter (also 1000 Swords, Immortal Pride, Carpathian Wolves)

17)My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans (also Angel Dark River, Gods Sun, Light End of World, Dreadful Hours)

18)Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin (all AE albums are great)

19)Katatonia - Brave Murder Day (also December Souls)

20)Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis (also Velvet Darkness, ToT I)

21)Old Man's Child - Ill Natured Spiritual Invasion (also Pagan Prosperity, Born of Flickering)

22)Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (also Something Wild, Follow Reaper)

23)Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja (also Voimasta Ja Kunniasta)

24)Enslaved - Frost (also Eld)

25)Marduk - Nightwing (also World Funeral, Heaven Shall Burn, Those of the Unlight, Opus Nocturne)

26)Ancient Rites - Dim Carcosa (also Fatherland)

27)Taake - Nattestid (also Bjoergvin)

28)Graveworm - Source of Malice (also Angels Beauty)

29)Ancient - Svartlvheim (also Cainian Chronicle)

30)Dark Tranquility - Damage Done (also Gallery, Haven)

31)Windir - Arntor (also 1184, Likferd)

32)Tiamat - Wild Honey/Gaia (also Prey, Judas Christ, Deeper Slumber)

33)Amorphis - Land of 1000 Lakes (also Elegy)

34)Amon Amarth - Versus the World

35)Agathodaimon - Chapter III (also Blacken the Angel, Rebellion)

36)Lux Occulta - Forever Alone Immortal (also Dionysos)

37)Summoning - Minas Morgul (also Stronghold, Dol Guldur)

38)Witchery - Symphony for the Devil

39)Death - Sound of Persaverance (also Symbolic, Human)

40)Abigor - Nachtymnen

41)Limbonic Art - Abhorrence Dimentia (also Epitome of Illusions)

42)Gehenna - First Spell (also Veils of Darkness)

43)Abyssos - Together We Summon the Dark (also Fhinstanian Nightbreed)

44)Kalmah - Swampsong (also They Will return)

45)Thyrane - Symphonies of Infernality (also Hypnotic)

46)Borknagar - Olden Domain

47)Samael - Passage (also Eternal)

48)Vintersorg - Till Fjalls (also Odemarken's Son)

49)Opera IX - Black Opera

50)Septic Flesh - Sumerian Daemons (also Revolution DNA)

If you really like the Tristania style try:
Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis (#20)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back