Darkest Desires PART IV
Nov 23, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #991 of 1,001
Ahh, the old gothenburg-school. These might be quite obvious recommendations which you most likely know, but older Dark Tranquillity (ie. The Gallery), Amorphis - Tales of thousand lakes, Children of Bodom (of course) and some Kalmah / Eternal Tears of Sorrow albums wander in the same musical territory.

Nov 23, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #992 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
oooh... A thread where norwegian music really is appreciated
biggrin.gif

Been listening alot to In Flames these past days, specially grown fond of The Jester Race. Is there any other bands that go in the same musicstyle as In Flames that you would recommend?

Nacher has good suggestions in:
-Dark Tranquility
-Kalmah + Eternal Tears of Sorrow
-Children of Bodom

Add to short list:
-Arch Enemy
-Gardenian
-Soilwork
-Crown

Here is my current list of best dark metal:
Dark Metal

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #994 of 1,001
Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out
smily_headphones1.gif

Never heard any of them except Children Of Bodom and they're great. Been listening mostly to Blind Guardian, Vintersorg, Borknagar, Iced Earth and not to forget Demons and Wizards lately.

Nov 27, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #995 of 1,001
Browsing a used music store I picked up for $6

B00004RJLF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[size=xx-small]Classy cover[/size]

True Kings of Norway
Tracklist:
The Ancient Queen (Emperor)
Witches Sabbath (Emperor)
Lord Of The Storms (Re-Mix) (Emperor)
Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (Immortal)
Unholy Forces Of Evil (Immortal)
The Cold Winds Of Funeral Frost (Immortal)
Inn I Evighetens Mørke (Pt.1) (Dimmu Borgir)
Inn I Evighetens Mørke (Pt.2) (Dimmu Borgir)
Raabjørn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde (Dimmu Borgir)
Det Glemte Riket (Ancient)
Huldradans (Ancient)
My Angel (Arcturus)
Morax(Arcturus)

A round up of EPs on one CD-58 minutes.
OK...so why is the sound quality here way, way better than on the actual full releases, especially Emperor?
I also picked up used that recent remaster of AC/DC's 'Let There Be Rock'
and this Kings of Norway is totally kicking it's *ss up and down the street!!!
Oh well...typical music industry!
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

There is an interesting folded sheet inside with what looks like a constellation star map with band and individual names,arrows and numbers. It's a map of the Norway scene with a 122 short comments key beneath, eg "#9 Samoth played bass & guitar on 'Shadowthrone' CD '95".

The best $6 I've spent in awhile.
devil-smiley-067.gif

Piss off a Mayhem fanatic by sending them this cd.

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #996 of 1,001
I remember when Spikefarm put that collection out several years ago. I really wasn't into dark metal back then, but couldn't help noticing the rather amusing name and black cover. If I ever find that album, I sure need to pick it up as well.

Nov 28, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #997 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
I remember when Spikefarm put that collection out several years ago. I really wasn't into dark metal back then, but couldn't help noticing the rather amusing name and black cover. If I ever find that album, I sure need to pick it up as well.

I looked & it is available at theend for $13 as a digipak so it should be around in your neck of the woods. Mine is a digipak. I took note of the 'Spikefarm' label once I heard the sound quality. Spikefarm Records 2000 Naula 006 on the CD itself. I would assume the ones for sale now are the same but you never know. When I say I was suprised by the good sound quality, I'm refering to Bass, which is often MIA, and with the Emperor tracks actual holographic vocals! How far do you think I have to go and what will I have to do to get hold of the Nightside mastertape? Bank robbery? J/K
wink.gif
about robbery.

If you can't get it or it is for some reason wrong as in a poor quality copy (and that is possible), I can make a copy. I had mixed results with black CDRs & my old LG writer (some better/some worse) depending on the musical material but now I've been having some good success with a new Plextor writer and Mitsui-Gold CDRs.
Not warmer like the black but consistent and cleaner than the originals, not brighter, but more clearly defined. Quieter background, more contrast, better dynamics. Not a real lot but enough to notice and to justify for me.
I'm still playing with the controls though, laser strength with 20 settings, etc. And I'll need to take a break for a week or so and then re-examine them again fresh minded and dispassionately. It's too easy to trick oneself with something new.
I'm too lazy to do the big post thing in the source forum for now or ever.
Who am I trying to convince anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

And for what it's worth, if you live healthy enough, the gold CD layer is suppose to last 300 years! LOL
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #998 of 1,001
Spikefarm is really my favourite label. A lot of great bands. It's part of Spinefarm, which has been a pioneer in finnish metal industry. Spinefarm nowadays takes care of more mainstream stuff like CoB and Nightwish, and Spikefarm signs more experimental bands. Their main record store (even though it sucks) is 30min drive from where I live, but I suppose it's possible to order anything they have ever released from there.

As for black metal albums with listenable recording and a lot of content.. if you haven't got Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, get it immediately. I really find it hard to find black metal equal to early works of Mayhem and Burzum.

Edit : Sorry, what was I thinking. Of course you have heard Mayhem's debut. There is no other chance...

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #999 of 1,001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacher
Spikefarm is really my favourite label.

As for black metal albums with listenable recording and a lot of content.. if you haven't got Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, get it immediately. I really find it hard to find black metal equal to early works of Mayhem and Burzum.

I visited the Spike/Spinefarm site right after listening "If you don't live in Finland, don't panic.
We ship our CDs, DVDs and LPs by priority post to most countries on this earth." I didn't get a chance to listen to their audio-video section which had interesting selections, but I will.

I think Dom Sathanas and Burzum have pretty good production considering. It's Emperor and Darkthrone that are poor. Emperor members thought Euronymous to be lazy and disorganized and chose to not record in association with him. Maybe they should have.
But that Kings of Norway sounds so good makes me wonder if these poor recordings are really poor recordings or just poor masterings. Burzum baffles me with the track lists. The impression of progression within CDs 1-4 when in fact later stuff can be recorded earlier. The only way to get insight is probably to write Varg who does receive mail but I think doesn't respond to black metal topics. Maybe for a lark I will some day...before his release date.
I don't have the Mayhem bootlegs and have past them by. I've seen a couple of them at my HMV including 'Procession of the Black Hearts' with it's ghastly suicide cover shot. Yikes!

There's still bands from that time I want to hear Gorgoroth,etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back