Darkest desires part 2
May 24, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #811 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
You are becoming a true master of the dark arts, now go and buy that Funeral CD In Fields of Pestilent Grief!

http://www.redstream.org/html/recordDetail.php?ID=5310

I heartly second KR...'s suggestion. This is a really good album, uniquely awash in towering, ponderous, mesmerizing doom. The female vocalist completes the atmosphere. I'd get their previous 2 albums in a flash if I could find them a way to get them.

May 24, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #812 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
I heartly second KR...'s suggestion. This is a really good album, uniquely awash in towering, ponderous, mesmerizing doom. The female vocalist completes the atmosphere. I'd get their previous 2 albums in a flash if I could find them a way to get them.

OK Fledglings
I will put that on my buy list for Red Stream

Am I the only one buying dark metal now
confused.gif

Very quiet here lately, I have been buying like a banshee. Have almost all MARDUK now, couple more MAYHEM, two best GORGOROTH, 5 GRAVELAND albums, both TAAKE and much much more

BJ
just snagged WINDIR - Arntor from The End, that make 3 WINDIR albums now.

They also had GEHENNA - 1st Spell for a nanosecond, I ordered same day and it was sold out. I found used copy of 2nd Spell which will have to do for now.

May 25, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #813 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Am I the only one buying dark metal now
confused.gif

Well, I've got an interesting one to mention.

ATROX - Terrestrials.

"Experimental schizophrenic metal."

On this one album now I think I've heard every vocal sound that one woman can make. Monica's vocals range from crystalline and soothing to somewhere between madness and orgasm. Her dark sonic artistry is painted against a stunning canvas of well-done prog metal. Don't believe the reviews that call it goth or doom, for it's much more like prog/experi-metal. One interesting thing about the album is how much time there is between tracks; sort of like a pause to gather your thoughts and prepare for the next sonic experience.

DarkAngel, this one may have too much of the side of prog metal that you don't seem to care for, but I still recommend it for anyone (on this thread) who treasures the female voice.

May 25, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #815 of 1,066
Quote:

ATROX - Terrestrials.
DarkAngel, this one may have too much of the side of prog metal that you don't seem to care for, but I still recommend it for anyone (on this thread) who treasures the female voice.

I think I know who you're talking to, will check it out.

"You talkin' to me? Are you talking to me?"

May 25, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #816 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I think I know who you're talking to, will check it out.

"You talkin' to me? Are you talking to me?"

Yeah, you were in my sights too.
evil_smiley.gif

I just wasn't sure about your attitude toward this type of metal...

May 27, 2003 at 4:10 AM Post #817 of 1,066
Some new Metal albums from The End and Red Stream to check out :

SOULREAPER - Life Erazer LIMITED EDITION

Brand new release by this ex-Dissection members black / death metal outfit. While their debut release “Written in Blood” was a trigger death metal oriented record Soulreaper unleash a massive cutting edge black metal effort, delivering a shameless plug of “Storm of the light’s bane” inspired blasphemous black metal with modern (maybe even Tampa?!) death metal elements. Absolutely killer album for Dissection fans. This is the LIMITED Digipak edition, featuring a Morbid Angel cover as a bonus track!!!

AGALLOCH - Tomorrow Will Never Come 7" EP

7” EP featuring two previously unreleased acoustic tracks; one new and one remixed from the original “The Mantle” sessions. Both are exclusive for this format.
Limited edition to 500 hand-numbered copies, each copy also signed by one of the band members. BUY OR DIE!!!

Skepticism - Farmakon

Skepticism re-introduces funeral doom through plodding drums, detuned guitars, and medieval keyboards, resulting in a compositional masterpiece. Farmakon is neo-classical melancholy forged with chthonic sludge...

Huge enveloping chords emanate from Farmakon's core with a radiant astral beauty, akin to huge waves crashing on the shores of your consciousness.

Pantheist - O Solitude

Accursed Finnish funereal doom metal with a total playing time: 59:02 min. This band just completed a succesful tour with Skepticism in Europe...

May 27, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #818 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Some new Metal albums from The End and Red Stream to check out :

Skepticism - Farmakon

Skepticism re-introduces funeral doom through plodding drums, detuned guitars, and medieval keyboards, resulting in a compositional masterpiece. Farmakon is neo-classical melancholy forged with chthonic sludge...

Huge enveloping chords emanate from Farmakon's core with a radiant astral beauty, akin to huge waves crashing on the shores of your consciousness.

Pantheist - O Solitude

Accursed Finnish funereal doom metal with a total playing time: 59:02 min. This band just completed a succesful tour with Skepticism in Europe...

These 2 caught my eye too. But they'll have to wait a few days, because I just ordered from Sonic Cathedral:

BESEECH - Souls Highway
THALARION - Tunes of Despondency

May 28, 2003 at 7:35 AM Post #820 of 1,066
Quote:

BESEECH - Souls Highway

i have heard that cd and quite like it
smily_headphones1.gif

also, was wandering around my city today, when i saw a copy of tristania, their first mini cd (with
this cover). What i'm wondering is how hard it is to get this cd normally? If it is hard to find i will snap it up before it disappears...

May 28, 2003 at 11:47 AM Post #821 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by lethoso
i have heard that cd and quite like it
smily_headphones1.gif

also, was wandering around my city today, when i saw a copy of tristania, their first mini cd (with
this cover). What i'm wondering is how hard it is to get this cd normally? If it is hard to find i will snap it up before it disappears...

Not sure how rare it is, but you can buy the songs from both TRISTANIA EPs on one CD now Midwinter Tears/Angina. I have this version:
CD

May 28, 2003 at 12:06 PM Post #822 of 1,066
Carpathian Forest
Don't hesitate to get new retrospective released "we are going to hell for this" 18 tracks total. First 8 are studio versions, 3 of which are covers including a killer version of VENOM's "in league with satan" that stomps the original.

Next tracks are live, but the recording quality is actually better than their studio works, only treble in certain spots a bit hot and crowd noise is almost nonexistent.......these are turbo charged
versions and necro as hell.
(track 8 is silly and should be skipped as well as dumb hidden material that follows track 18)

Also the booklet is large and very nice graphic layouts, for CF fans
this is no brainer purchase. If you are new to CF start with "black shining leather" album.

Dark Stuff Keeps Coming, Just Arrived:
GORGOROTH - pentagram, antichrist
NINNGHIZHIDDA - demigod, blasphemy
GEHENNA - 2nd spell (veils of darkness)
SHAPE OF DESPAIR - angels of distress
WINDIR - arntor

I still have stack of stuff to check out before all this arrived, so will let you know what I think as things progress.

May 30, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #824 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
SHAPE OF DESPAIR - angels of distress

I thought you already had this? Or did you force yourself to listen to it on MP3?

May 30, 2003 at 12:10 PM Post #825 of 1,066
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I thought you already had this? Or did you force yourself to listen to it on MP3?

No, I bought this used so as usual it can arrive anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks, and it just now finally arrived
frown.gif

The first CD I got from The End so I have had that for a while now.

Some CDs I Will Sell
MAYHEM - Grand declaration of War
What a mess and a real let down from "wolf's Lair" album that preceded it, lots of spoken word and techno stuff mixed in with weak black metal.......like I said a mess 6/10

DODHEIMSGARD - 666 International
A weak attempt to mix industrial/electro elements with dark metal 6/10

KOVENANT - Seti
An even weaker attempt to mix industrial/electro elements with dark metal......even Depeche Mode has more edge than this lame effort. Too bad because previous album "animatronic" was very good. 4/10

JUDAS ISCARIOT
Got rid of all my albums here, just doesn't measure up to the great new stuff I've been getting from TAAKE, MARDUK, GRAVELAND etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back