- Dark/Warm Vs. Bright/Cold Sound - Which Do You Prefer?
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #17 of 26
for a change may be? like SOMETIMES i do.. hehe If u can see my sig, i own a pretty variety of Sq's . there are times you need to break free my friend :) just like everything else in the world   

Don't you worry, I an breaking free! I have one brighter sounding headphone, and one that sounds pretty darn warm (Mad Dogs) and I'm trying to like them as everyone does, but I just find the veil to be too overpowering as it blocks out a fair amount of detailing.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 26
Lol, we should meet up one day and compare the MDs to my soon arriving modded Fostexs. Apparently they lean to the brighter side.

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 26
I am quite biased as I own the SE5, which are slightly warm but ultra detailed and separated.

I wonder how they sound. That sounds like it could be pretty good if the warmth was done right. :)
I find that a lot of sets (and especially amps) labeled as bright or cold don't actually have elevated treble responses or anything like that (just maybe more than some others). And the ones labeled as dark may have 10 dB bass boosts. This is all a matter of reference level and expectations.

I think either side is fine to me as long as it's not too far. But maybe slightly on the warm side, if I had to pick, because of modern recordings that aren't so great.
+1

Jan 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 26
Lol, we should meet up one day and compare the MDs to my soon arriving modded Fostexs. Apparently they lean to the brighter side.

We'll see:)

With school kicking in soon, I can't be too sure as to when I'd be free...

Jan 16, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 26
  u call Se535's ultra detailed? i call it pretty muddy when it comes to Mid high's and Low highs. 

really? i think the strongest point of the 535 are the mids, out of all the shure iems ive tried the 535 seem to be the most forward. and think i think in turn makes them sound bright

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 26
I wonder how they sound. That sounds like it could be pretty good if the warmth was done right.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

The warmth is very slight so they are closer to neutral...and very extended both ways.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 26
  really? i think the strongest point of the 535 are the mids, out of all the shure iems ive tried the 535 seem to be the most forward. and think i think in turn makes them sound bright

yep it is too forward to the point where it gets muddy....  may be becuz im used to the sound of w4rs and my ex1000's . but i can say that the 535's are under performing even when it compares to my ER4 . simple as that

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #24 of 26
Shures sound nice to my ears, but don't really perform at the price bracket they should. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #25 of 26
My Gr07 has refined my taste in music to prefer bright and analytical sound, much so it's hard to find a good upgrade now. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #26 of 26

I think either side is fine to me as long as it's not too far. But maybe slightly on the warm side, if I had to pick, because of modern recordings that aren't so great.

Interesting. 

Dunno if I'm crazy or not, but I still go for the cold side with modern recordings. Maybe I'm more oblivious to the mistakes?

I guess I have a high tolerance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back