Dark smooth headphones, $200-300 budget.
Sep 24, 2015 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

freak

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a dark smooth not fatiguing headphones that would compliment my AKG K-712 (I don't have these yet but I once had K-701 and I liked their sound in good quality recordings, mostly classical music, jazz, audiophile recordings :p ).
My ears are very sensitive and I don't like bright harsh sound. I want to use them to listen to pop, rock music that I find fatiguing on more neutral headphones. The should also be forgiving for poor quality recordings.
Preferably they should be closed, over ears, comfortable, well built and durable but I don't necessarily require all of these conditions to be met.

I have Arcam rDac and Headbox SE II but I will probably also buy used Heed Canamp for the K-712.

I'd love to read your suggestions. :)

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 9

ZoNtO

1000+ Head-Fier
Not closed, but otherwise the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 meet your criteria if you can get a good price on a used pair. I would see if the K712 are sufficient before looking at complementing them with another set of headphones before you even have them.

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 9

freak

New Head-Fier
Recently I bought Hifiman HE-400 and found them bright and fatuiging with mudded bass so that may be another clue.

ZoNtO Yes you are right in saying that I should wait for my AKG K-712 to arrive but as I said I owned K-701 and I know this type of sound. I don't think they will be very diffrent.

Sep 24, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 9

ZoNtO

1000+ Head-Fier
  Recently I bought Hifiman HE-400 and found them bright and fatuiging with mudded bass so that may be another clue.

ZoNtO Yes you are right in saying that I should wait for my AKG K-712 to arrive but as I said I owned K-701 and I know this type of sound. I don't think they will be very diffrent.

AKG has tweaked the response of their newer headphones significantly from the K701 days.

AKG K701 vs. AKG K712 (frequency response):

AKG K712 vs. Sennheiser HD650 (frequency response):

Edit: replaced bottom graph with correct graph

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 9

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9; dark, very smooth, very clean/detailed sounding - absolutely fantastic with jazz, pop, and lots of rock. Not my first choice for metal or anything of that sort, but they don't fall flat on their face in the attempt either. Alongside an AKG [letters and numbers go here]7[letters and numbers go here] I think they'd be a nice compliment - they're a much more intimate, warm, romantic sounding headphone that provides a very different window into the audio. They're also closed-back giving you isolation when you want it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 9

BobMonkhouse

100+ Head-Fier
I've heard ATH-ESW9. While its sound is really nice inoffensive and smooth with good clarity, I find my Focal Spirit Classic has similar signature with much better details, separation and 3D sound image. Some find them uncomfortable though. It took mine over a month to break in, and I can't complain about the fit now. The clamping force is higher than average. They are not for those with relatively bigger head and/or ears. But the sound is great for those liking "musical" signature.

Users who are viewing this thread