Dark Side of the Moon versions?

Discussion in 'Music' started by feh1325, Oct 9, 2006.
Next

Last
  1. feh1325
    so i've read the whole "in search of the dark side holy grail" thread and just got more confused.

of the more common releases of Dark Side of the Moon, which should i buy?
    i'm hoping it will be one of these three

Black cover with words

blue, sacd 30 year

import?

or maybe a different version, but can find at best buy or amazon

i don't have an sacd player.

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THIS A HUGE THREAD!!!

2. devin_mm Contributor
    If you don't have an SACD player don't get the SACD version because the redbook version on that disc isn't the best.

3. Dept_of_Alchemy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm
    If you don't have an SACD player don't get the SACD version because the redbook version on that disc isn't the best.

You could configure your computer to play 24-bit audio, though. Just an idea if you really want to hear the SACD mastering and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a failing format. [​IMG]

4. Garbz
    Umm no you couldn't because a computer can not decode SACD, it can decode DVD-A though but that's a can or worms that has nothing to do with DSOTM since it was never released on that format.

My order of preference would be the Mobile Fidelity Remaster, followed by the original (the one you linked to with words).

The 30th anev edition on SACD is crap as said unless you own an SACD player, they compressed the CD track to death! The 30th anev edition on Vinyl however is a completely different story though, but i doubt your cdplayer will read it [​IMG] .

5. TheMarchingMule Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
    The 30th anev edition on Vinyl however is a completely different story though, but i doubt your cdplayer will read it [​IMG] .

He speaks the truth. It wouldn't fit in my CD player, and even after I cut away at it and trimmed it to be CD-sized, it still won't play. [​IMG]

6. devin_mm Contributor
    Link to amazon MFSL DSOTM (I think I need more acronyms) release.

7. feh1325
    Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm
    Link to amazon MFSL DSOTM (I think I need more acronyms) release.

i would like to get this version...but buying new is a bit out of my price range

8. Stephen_Ri
    Indeed, you can't play a SACD on your PC. But you can, with a little effort, play a DVD-A (check the PC as source forum for more on that); and DSOTM has recently been "released" in DVD-A. Check out this review: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=12583627 The site also reviews the SACD version that came out three years ago. Personally, I haven't acquired the DVD-A version yet, and enjoy the standard CD release; but I do look foreward to hearing the DVD-A.

9. werdwerdus
    Yeah there is a 4.1 DVD-A disc floating around on bittorrent... I guess it's not illegal if you own the cd? Anyways there should be plenty of seeders.

10. Stephen_Ri
    I doubt if it would be considered legal, at least in the US, but I find it to be perfectly ethical if you own the SACD, and fairly so if you own the CD.

11. roadtonowhere08
    Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus
    Yeah there is a 4.1 DVD-A disc floating around on bittorrent... I guess it's not illegal if you own the cd? Anyways there should be plenty of seeders.

I have this, and it sounds great! I do not have surround or SACD, so I downmixed this to steeo using headac3e, and it sounds fantastic. If you can, look into this one. Should be in the range of 3 gigs or something.

Here you go: http://www.bitenova.nl/tt/oik3d

*Mods, if you want to remove the link, go ahead. I do not know if this is against the rules since this is not a commerical release or anything, I figured it would be okay*

12. werdwerdus
    yeah that's the one I have. It sounds great.
    I'll seed it forever because I like it so much haha.

13. feh1325
    man i'm terrible at using torrents...i'm attempting but don't see any seeds

anyways, any solutions that a more legal that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
    as in, whats the best "cheap" dark side of the moon release?

thanks for all your patients

14. Ingo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
    man i'm terrible at using torrents...i'm attempting but don't see any seeds

anyways, any solutions that a more legal that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
    as in, whats the best "cheap" dark side of the moon release?

thanks for all your patients

Why are there negative Amazon reviews for the Gold DSOTM? I think I saw one guy mention that it was too quiet and it was not loud enough on "even the most powerful stereo". I'm guessing that particular person just wasn't used to listening to non-hot recordings, but there are a bunch of reviews that say that it's a poor release.

15. devin_mm Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
    Why are there negative Amazon reviews for the Gold DSOTM? I think I saw one guy mention that it was too quiet and it was not loud enough on "even the most powerful stereo". I'm guessing that particular person just wasn't used to listening to non-hot recordings, but there are a bunch of reviews that say that it's a poor release.

They are probably used to clipped versions compressed to a 128kbps mp3.

lantian likes this.
Next

Last