Dark electronica with a female singer?
Oct 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Im really looking for dark trip-hop ala Massive Attack but I find that other than Portishead, everything else pales in comparison and/or is too "poppy".
So, i'm opening my search up to any sub-genre of electronica; prefer the darker more minimal (yet still complex) material thats counter-balanced by a beautiful female voice (could be male too).

been enjoying Phantogram of late...

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 22
Not sure if these are at all what you're looking for, but I'll give it a shot :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
Not sure if these are at all what you're looking for, but I'll give it a shot :)

Interesting choices Rubber Duk!
I am already a big fan of the Knife but have not heard of the latter two.
Android Lust seems to be Industrial/Electro, while the BF&E is reminiscent of Enya...albeit a bit synthier (if thats even a word).

Which AL album should I start with?

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 22
Some probably aren't as "dark" or "non-poppy" as you might want, but these came to mind:

Alpha - Come From Heaven
Baxter - Baxter
Elusive - Pressure Drop (stylistically very close to Blue Lines-era Massive Attack)
Esthero - Breath From Another
Halou - Wiser
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites, Good Looking Blues
Locust - Morning Light
Puracane - Things You Should Leave Alone
Shrift - Lost In A Moment
Smoke City - Flying Away
Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X (admittedly sort of punk-ish)
Statik Sound System - Tempesta II
Spylab - This Utopia (male vocals)
Violet Indiana - Roulette
Waldeck - The Night Garden (male vocals)

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:
Check out The Glitch Mob - Between Two Points. That track features a female vocalist. If you dig their sound try their full lp Drink the Sea. The rest is instrumental but is excellent.

Love Glitch Mob; thanks.

Quote:
Some probably aren't as "dark" or "non-poppy" as you might want, but these came to mind:

Alpha - Come From Heaven
Baxter - Baxter
Elusive - Pressure Drop (stylistically very close to Blue Lines-era Massive Attack)
Esthero - Breath From Another
Halou - Wiser
Laika - Sounds of the Satellites, Good Looking Blues
Locust - Morning Light
Puracane - Things You Should Leave Alone
Shrift - Lost In A Moment
Smoke City - Flying Away
Sneaker Pimps - Becoming X (admittedly sort of punk-ish)
Statik Sound System - Tempesta II
Spylab - This Utopia (male vocals)
Violet Indiana - Roulette
Waldeck - The Night Garden (male vocals)

Heard/have most but a few I have never seen before; thanks.
Keep hearing the name Alpha but have never picked any of their material up...

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 22
i've always been a fan of massive attack and portishead since ~91 but portishead - third literally changed me and if it's dark i want, portishead is where i go (both musically and lyrically)

try:

baby fox
hungry lucy 
lamb (not always trip hop but always interesting)
laurel halo (idm/experimental)
lost balance
hooverphonic 

cool thread, and i really love this music but it's hard to find different stuff (that hasn't been listed) so consider me subscribed

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 22
Hello there

Another Massive Attack fan here, getting that old remember there first single and they had to change there name too just Massive because off the first Gulf war.

Maybe not be dark enough, by as you may well know Tracy Thorn done a couple of tracks with Massive attack.

Here she is with Everything but the Girl, Single from the Walking Wounded album.

Cheers Frank

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
 Interesting choices Rubber Duk!
I am already a big fan of the Knife but have not heard of the latter two.
Android Lust seems to be Industrial/Electro, while the BF&E is reminiscent of Enya...albeit a bit synthier (if thats even a word).

Which AL album should I start with?

I'm mostly familiar with Devour, Rise and Take Flight from 2006 so I will go with that. Since you like The Knife, are you aware that the singer has another project called Fever Ray?

Ladytron are technically electroclash (I believe), but who knows.. might work for you. The ladies are lovely for sure :)

I somehow always felt that I really want to like Ayria, but most of her stuff is a bit mediocre.

Oct 11, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 22
Oct 12, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 22
My music is probably too fast for your style.
[VIDEO] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P12-ddPDWM&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/VIDEO]

Also check out song from Current Value featuring Snow. He made a bunch. Although it's more like he just repeats parts of a chorus...
[VIDEO] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyPmkTj9nlU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/VIDEO]

Dec 22, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #14 of 22
Great stuff guys-thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back