Dark, Complex, Mind-Bending Trance: Suggestions?
Mar 8, 2006 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Just found some Israeli trance from about 12 years ago titled "Monzoon" by Elysium.
Wicked, multi-layered trance with hard bass lines, but chill at the same time.

Really havent listened to any new Trance in over ten years. Looking for the darker more complex (but still melodic) material. I really want the best of the best; I cant tolerate anything remotely cheesy sounding.
I prefer single-produced, multi tracked albums over continuously mixed DJ sets.

Any suggestions?

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 21
c'mon peeps!
I need some suggestions...

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundscape
wish i knew - i heard one of sphongle's songs, divine moments of truth, and thought it was pretty good. i haven't had a chance to hear the rest yet.

Shpongle is the answer. Divine Moments of Truth is one of the better tracks off of their first album, "Are You Shpongled?" which you would probably dig.

I would also recommend checking out their newest and last album "Nothing Lasts... But Nothing is Lost" because the whole album is basically one long track (it's supposed to symbolize the act of falling asleep and exploring a big dream landscape of sound). It's fast and energetic, slow and melodic, fun and upbeat, dark and powerful, and just about everything else, and it rocks.

Shpongle is (especially with a little intoxication) the very definition of complex and mind-bending.

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 21
LSG is awesome. Try The Black Album or Into Deep.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando
Shpongle is the answer. Divine Moments of Truth is one of the better tracks off of their first album, "Are You Shpongled?" which you would probably dig.

I would also recommend checking out their newest and last album "Nothing Lasts... But Nothing is Lost" because the whole album is basically one long track (it's supposed to symbolize the act of falling asleep and exploring a big dream landscape of sound). It's fast and energetic, slow and melodic, fun and upbeat, dark and powerful, and just about everything else, and it rocks.

Shpongle is (especially with a little intoxication) the very definition of complex and mind-bending.

thanks..i'll check into that album, aswell as hallucinogen(and probably lsg). i really like the chanting and other sorta 'tribal' and organic sounds he incorporates in the track i mentioned.

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 21
does Amon Tobin qualify as trance? i generally ignore the over-genrefication of electronic music, so i don't know. anyhow... very dark, musical, complex. good stuff. start with Supermodified and then Permutation.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
does Amon Tobin qualify as trance?

I wouldn't think so, but his stuff certainly is complex and often dark. The most recent album (/soundtrack), Chaos Theory, is probably darker, anyway, than his other stuff.

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 21
This is a fantastic thread guys! Great reco's thus far. I'm really into dark electronica as well. I really like dark ambient (but not the same as industrial ambient like Inade) as well. Stuff by Tetsu Inoue is great, Carbon Lifeforms, Ambient Dreams (various compilations by him) etc. But getting dark trance is much harder and most trance these days seems to be utter crap!

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
This is a fantastic thread guys! Great reco's thus far. I'm really into dark electronica as well. I really like dark ambient (but not the same as industrial ambient like Inade) as well. Stuff by Tetsu Inoue is great, Carbon Lifeforms, Ambient Dreams (various compilations by him) etc. But getting dark trance is much harder and most trance these days seems to be utter crap!

Couldnt agree more...

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando

Dude, I just picked up "Tales of the Inexpressible" and this is not dark, complex trance. I know you recommended "Are you Shpongled"; is that a completely different genre than what i was asking? This Shpongle is what I would call very experimental, ambient/chill-out with some various electronica thrown in. In no way straight, dark trance though...
Im looking for chill, dark trance...more ambient than the harder, dancier, euro-stuff that Sasha, Digweed and Oakenfold spin.
And BTW, someone offered up Chemical Brothers?!?
That aint trance either...those are breaks.
Does anyone know what im looking for?
I looked into Hallucinogen-def. trancey, but kinda basic and old school sounding. Guess im going to have to look into LSG.

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Dude, I just picked up "Tales of the Inexpressible" and this is not dark, complex trance.

"Are You Shpongled?" is definately darker than "Tales of the Inexpressible" but it's not really dark in the way you're thinking... I think.

"Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost" has the darkest stuff out of all the albums, although it's not that way all the way through. It is the most "electronic" album though. I like how it brings you in with an uptempo beat then throws you into a dark, eerie place, then comes back out, then mellows out, then is smooth, then upbeat, then dark again, and so forth. I like how it changes, but you may just want something that's dark all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back