Dare I say that these $13.99 headphones sound more open than SR-60s?
Apr 4, 2006 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AdamP

100+ Head-Fier
Here is the story... I normally don't buy cheap cheap headphones but I was going to the gym one day and I forgot my headphones (SuperFi.5Pro) so I stopped by Walmart instead of going to home to get them.

I picked up these Philips HS820 on impulse... $25CAD @ Walmart. I asked the guy what their return policy was and he said that the product can be used as long as I have the original packaging I can return within 30day with the receipt. The deal was pretty much sealed after that. In the end I decided to keep them...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=electronics

Everybody is saying that Philips does the midrange and high end very well.

Here are the main points that I can gather:

HIGHS & MIDS (No joke on any of these points)
-very high resoultion highs... string instruments have an amazing sparkle to them (maybe I'm crazy but I'd say it has more sparkle than an SR-60 and ages ahead of a PX-100)
-soundstaging... drum rolls panning from left and right... wow... added with that sparkle noted above... very impressive
-very very airy and open sound (even more so than Grados)... I think is due to the fact that the drivers are fully pressed against my ears
-no sibilance that I can detect
-really neutral sounding vocals

BASS
-loses it's composure on the deep bass and high volumes
-doesn't really do the low lows well you can hear them but they do not carry so much energy
-I'd say it's pretty linear down to 50Hz realistically
-very tight and impactful

The negatives:
-the sound loses it's composure at high volumes (probably couldn't stand to listen to these headphones at this volume for an extended period anyway)
-linearity decreases signficantly and a hump in the mid and high end transisiton is apparent (overly bright and some sibilance is detected)
-neckband... tough fit for some

For rap/hiphop/trance/club/house/jungle/R&B go with the PX-100 or Grado SR-60 if you like your bass loud and low.

For stringed music I find that these really shine (I think they also sound nice in the electronic/urban music as well but the bass is sacrificed). I'm not putting down the SR-60 and PX-100 but for the price I'm impressed.

If you have a look at my invetory in the sig I have a pretty decent idea of what sounds good (obviously keeping the price of a headphone under $250US) and I can confidently say that these headphones are worthy of going in that list as well... a cheap expendable phone that sounds good.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 28
Oh yeah... the sources I used were Cowon X5, iPod 5G, iPod 4G and combinations of the stock amps and the PA2V2.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 28
That is interesting.
I might give it a shot.
I really like PX100, so if these are even better than PX100 I would be interested in getting a pair.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 28
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

I really like my Philips HP910. Got them used for $50 shipped. Big open sound, with VERY good extension at the ends of the spectrum. Very similar signature to the HD280 I once owned, but the philips is MUCH more lively and dynamic form 55-6000 Hz.

IMHO Philips is a very under-rated headphone brand in the USA because they only sell low-end phones here.

Garrett

Apr 4, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Doesn't surprise me one bit.

I really like my Philips HP910. Got them used for $50 shipped. Big open sound, with VERY good extension at the ends of the spectrum. Very similar signature to the HD280 I once owned, but the philips is MUCH more lively and dynamic form 55-6000 Hz.

IMHO Philips is a very under-rated headphone brand in the USA because they only sell low-end phones here.

Garrett

Not sure why I just ordered a pair of these (HP910) but they look cool, good reviews and the price was right $70. I guess I am just a headphone junky.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #7 of 28
Really great amazon ratings if you can believe them.Price is right but I wonder how comfortable they are?How do they shape up against the ksc75 which are really hard to beat in this price range?

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Really great amazon ratings if you can believe them.Price is right but I wonder how comfortable they are?How do they shape up against the ksc75 which are really hard to beat in this price range?

Yeah, I wonder how these compare with a pair of KSC75's that run for the same price...

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 28
Anybody wondering about the KSC75 comparison I can probably give that to you later tonight. As impulse would have it I ordered 2 pairs a week ago. I just need to go to the post office to pick them up... so I can give you my insight later.

Apr 4, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8
Not sure why I just ordered a pair of these (HP910) but they look cool, good reviews and the price was right $70. I guess I am just a headphone junky.

me too.. theyre OK for the price and theyre SUPER comfey.
Treble can be a bit exagerated at times, but my ears are conditioned to Grados which are more midrange-heavy.

Might be a good mod-candidate... comfey, cheap, decent sound. Cable looks pretty low grade and theres a BIG foam block behind the drivers in the earcup.

Garrett

Apr 4, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
Anybody wondering about the KSC75 comparison I can probably give that to you later tonight. As impulse would have it I ordered 2 pairs a week ago. I just need to go to the post office to pick them up... so I can give you my insight later.

If you don't like the ksc-75's I'll buy them off you. ^^

Biggie.

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
If you don't like the ksc-75's I'll buy them off you. ^^

Biggie.

I got them from ncix.com for 21.98CAD + 10CAD shipping. They are Toronto based I think. I bought two just to get a little more value on the shipping.

Apr 5, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 28
NCIX is based in Richmond, BC
biggrin.gif

Top company, though.

Apr 5, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #15 of 28
Still waiting with baited breath for the ksc75 comparison to the Phillips 820.Im going to search for some other reviews besides Amazon which are so glowing they make me want the phones now.This could be the power buy of the spring unless grado blows them away with new street phones no one has seen yet.I seriously doubt if Grado will come near the price point of the 820.How long have these phones been available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back