DAPReview: TrekStor vibez flash up to 32 GB
Dec 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #91 of 104
The vibez is a completely different hardware platform from the Karma, so yeah, it's not going to sound quite the same.

I don't know how its SQ compares to the Fuze, D2 or other top rated players out today, but to my ears it's pretty impeccable.

To me, one of the major appeals is the interface and all it lets you do. Basically an evolution of the Karma's interface & on-board feature set: Gapless, the running playlist (insert, append, reorder, etc.), saved playlist management, bookmarking, parametric EQ, crossfade, it's all in there and then some.

So, like Ep said, for those of us where these things are important, $180 for 16 GB flash is perfectly reasonable. If my vibez died today (knock on wood), I'd cry a little, fire up the Karma I keep as a backup, pre-order the 16 GB vibez at J&R and wait by the mail box.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #92 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it is still too expensive. LOL

1.5" screen
no expansion slot
20 hour playback?
OK flash is 16GB

but $180?

I don't see people complaining about the $199 price tag on the iPod Nano. Lol.

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #94 of 104
Damnit...I read this thread with tons of interest, but between ruben stating it doesn't sound like the karma (-1) and its measly 7.5mw headphone output (-2), I'll pass.

I just got a new HDD in my karma and its going as strong as ever even with 5-6hrs of playback with mp3's. When the battery goes, its getting a new one. For the people that never heard a karma...it's just sad
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #95 of 104
I too have been very interested in the Vibez as the potential successor to the Karma. I have had three Karmas. One still works. I converted it to flash memory and the scroll wheel is gone and it looks like hell. I'd love to hear a Vibez.

The Karma has 55mW per channel output into *i think* 32ohms. That's sounds like a big difference right there but into what load is that 7.5mW the Vibez is quoting. Guessing it weren't less than 32ohm but ya never know?? well, maybe that is a stretch.

As for the Clip/Fuze vs. the Karma. I just finished A/B'ing my Karma with my wife's Clip. The clip is supposedly sonically just like the Fuze but I *think* the Fuze has a more powerful amp and that could translate into more headroom to better soundstage and whatnot. I like to use Beck's Sea Change album for listening tests (at least to start off). I had to use 320kbps MP3 on both since the Clip won't do FLAC. I listened through qjays. Anyway--both good but I prefer the Karma. Karma = warmer, noticeably better soundstaging, slightly better separation and articulation in mids. Clip = probably more extended highs and lows, a bit too forward in the upper mids, probably more accurate overall with the exception of the upper-mids being too forward, more towards clinical, less towards engaging/involving.

The conclusions above are definitely colored by the qjays, which are themselves clinical as heck. If someone told me they thought the Fuze sounded better than the Karma through warmer cans or iems I wouldn't find it at all surprising.

At the price, the Clip and Fuze are awesome. At this time only Fuze supports FLAC. I might get one.

It's been a while since I listened to my sisters iProduct but it sounded like doo doo compared to the Karma. I have several other DAPs that don't live up either.

Not trying to jack this thread. The relationship between the Karma and Vibez led me to add the ruminations above. I would love to read some detailed listening notes comparing either the Karma or Clip/Fuze to the Vibez.

-Michael

PS- -in case you're wondering the Fuze has 60mW/channel out (FWIR). dunno 'bout the Clip.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #97 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfaughn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS- -in case you're wondering the Fuze has 60mW/channel out (FWIR). dunno 'bout the Clip.

Where did you get that info from?

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #99 of 104
Quote:

The Clip DOES support FLAC.

I find the clip to sound much better than the Karma overall.

@DJGeorgeT: That's weird you would say such a thing when you told me earlier on:

I don't think you'll find a player that can beat the Karma

over here:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/sm...-karma-402795/

not accusing you or anything, but from what i understood, you were talking about SQ, when you said this...

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #100 of 104
oops, yes, the Clip does FLAC now. I had researched that a bit on Sansa boards and whatnot. Sandisk hasn't got that fact appended to all their spec literature yet and it isn't in the release notes for the firmware update I just did...happy as heck its there though. Thanks very much for enlightening me.

I'm A/Bing them again with portapros. These mellow the Clip and make the differences between the two less pronounced. Still better soundstage with the Karma. Clip more accurate but (and very very subjectively) still not quite as involving/warm as the Karma. Karma wouldn't fatigue me as quickly. Bottom line is they are both very good. With the portapros (which I've outgrown and must take a good step up from) it is a toss-up as to which I would rather listen to. I can definitely hear how some folks might prefer the Clip over the Karma.

The Karma is a tough beast to keep running. They aren't very sturdy IMO. Though I will be buying and using a Fuze I am still waiting for something that sounds as good as the Karma but is more durable, smaller, etc.. The Clip/Fuze is good enough though that I will at least be able to deal with the loss of my last Karma when it finally gives up the ghost I think.
-Michael

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #101 of 104
disagree.........
frown.gif

Quote:

The Clip DOES support FLAC.

I find the clip to sound much better than the Karma overall.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #102 of 104
I forgot to mention that I have tested the Clip with FLAC files for my further A/B testing. It definitely plays them. This makes the Clip a pretty darned amazing piece of kit for not much money.

-Michael

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #103 of 104
What's the latest on Trekstor actually releasing the flash based Vibez?

I have a sony a728 that sounds great, but I really miss the OTG playlisting features of my old Creative Jukebox 3. Of all the flash players out at the moment, the Trekstor looks like the top contender from this perspective ..... that is if it becomes a contender (ie will it be released?).

Cheers
pauls

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #104 of 104
Amazon in the US says "1-3 weeks". Amazon in Germany says "1-2 months." TrekStor support says, "There are no updates at this time, but we'll keep you posted."

Ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back