DAPReview: TrekStor vibez flash up to 32 GB
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I consider the Vibez to be one of the best sounding DAPs straight out of the headphone jack unamped. Paired with my SA6, I get extended controlled bass, present mids lending to rich vocals, and enough sparkle in the highs without any shrillness or sibilance. Pretty decent soundstage to though it may be bigger paired with open headphones which I just don't use with my Vibez.

The great thing about the Vibez, other than SQ, inherent gapless support. This is a huge priority for me and I am still dumbfounded that it isn't more widely supported (Cowon? Hello?). It also supports FLAC if you want to go that route.

I am a huge Vibez fanboy and the ONLY knock I had against it was the use of a microdrive rather than flash. I have been pining for the day when Trekstor would finally release the flash version which has been rumored for oh, so long. I almost don't care how much it will be. I am ponying up the money for the flash version as soon as it hits the States.

The old vibez uses a microdrive? isn't that what the iPod mini uses? in which case couldn't people just shove a 32 GB CF card in there and have basically the same thing as the new flash version that's coming out?

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben7337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The old vibez uses a microdrive? isn't that what the iPod mini uses? in which case couldn't people just shove a 32 GB CF card in there and have basically the same thing as the new flash version that's coming out?

I can't be any more detailed than the microdrive they use is not a typical interface and one that is not compatible with CFs. Believe me, this has been discussed before. If it could have been done it would have been. I can assure you.

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #19 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just realised that info is from the article listed in the first post. my bad. still, thats like a 100 pounds. OMG!!!

That is cheap!
biggrin.gif
Temptation
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right, ok. So it has similar sonic signature to the Cowon D2 would you say? What is the bass response like on the trekstor? Is it rolled-off like the D2 or does it have presence? Also, have you tried different hp's with the vibez or just your ETY's as I know the ETY's are renound for a neutral, uncoloured, articulate sound sig?

Unfortunately I've never tried that player. It does sound great w/rs-1 thru' the sr-71 and even w/o an amp.

my criterion is whether I want to throw the player out of the window or want to keep listening. dissecting sonic aspects does not work for ME as the sum is greater than its parts IMO.

(for ex: sony 920 cdp is great w/ cds but sucks with mp3 - for the same track burnt on a data disc or to cd after converting to wav.)

anyway, I never want to use the 920 or ihp-120 or the karma when I have my vibez

the odd thing is one would think the sound would improve with the new generation of players but no. my old panasonic 470 still sounds better than most players out there. every once in a while a vendor hits the spot with a model, and vibez is that model

Aug 26, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by recephasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
every once in a while a vendor hits the spot with a model, and vibez is that model

Not to be a pain but what other players do you compare it to? Does it suffer from the bass roll off as the D2 does?

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 104
Hi guys~

This look so good~
I really wanted one to replace my X5 for playing WAV~

Any bros know where I can find it in New Zealand or HK or any online shops which ships overseas?

So tempting!
tongue.gif

Thankyou guys~

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #23 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to be a pain but what other players do you compare it to? Does it suffer from the bass roll off as the D2 does?

I replied that question in my previous post, but you're not a pain, anyway
normal_smile .gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #25 of 104
FYI, for anyone looking for technical spec: TrekStor [MP3 players - USB sticks - hard drives]

I've been Googling around to see if anyone has actually tried to measure bass roll-off on the vibez. I don't have a way to measure it myself, and I wouldn't know what to look for if I tried listening for it.

I will say that I have a number of deep bass tracks that do not disappoint. In particular, "Desert Rose" by Sting as a deep down in the pit of your stomach bass intro that you can feel when played on the vibez. There are a couple of Maroon 5 tracks I like to use for bass testing, too, ("The Sun" and "Must Get Out") that sound fantastic on the vibez.

BTW: Little known fact about the EQ on the vibez that it inherited from the Karma: When boosting EQ frequencies, the vibez auto-adjusts the total gain downwards to help avoid clipping. Just more evidence that a whole lot of thought has gone into this firmware over the years.

Aug 27, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #26 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this DAP related to Trek2000; the company that makes low end comoditized thumbdrive?

No. TrekStor does sell thumbdrives, but they do so under the name TrekStor.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #27 of 104
I enjoy the Vibez quite a bit. I would describe it's sound as warm and musical, as opposed to say the ipod touch which is colder and more sterile. The Vibez does however exhibit quite a bit of graininess that I've found the usage of a lossless format (.flac) is not worthwhile given its existing 12gb micro drive capacity. A well encoded mp3 will be more than sufficient. Highly sensitive phones will also pickup noise from the backlight and occasional whirring hard disk noises at lower volumes (but not as bad as say with the Karma). For portable on-the-go application, it's very enjoyable, but as with most portables, it can't compete at all with a quality home source.

The internal amp is also nowhere near as powerful as the Karma's however the Karma was a little harsh in the highs, so in some respects the Vibez does sound a little better. In my experience, adding an amp was not worth the trouble and even my home amp and my baby stax aren't worth using and just seem to highlight the weak points. All you need are the Vibez and some Etymotic Er4s (or the bass-heavy weapons of your choice) and you're all set.

If you're looking for something that only plays music (especially in light of its playlisting and dj features), then the Vibez is an excellent choice; however in this day and age with so many convergent devices offering in addition to music, wifi, email/browsing, video, photos, phone, etc., I find it somewhat limited given its relative price - close to $200 new when I purchased it.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #28 of 104
Pity it has such a big footprint especially for a relatively small screen. Surely in going from micro-drive to flash and with all the time they've spent they could worked on thinning it up or mucked around with the design.

Aug 28, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #29 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys~

This look so good~

Any bros know where I can find it in New Zealand or HK or any online shops which ships overseas?

So tempting!
tongue.gif

Thankyou guys~

bump~
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #30 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys~

This look so good~

So tempting!
tongue.gif

Thankyou guys~

Try giving these guys a call:

Distributors - Australia consultine
3001 Melbourne VICTel.: +61 419 54 53 50
Fax: +61 359 74 32 96Web
www.trekstor.com.au
trekstor@bigpond.com

Found using the "Where to buy" link on the http://Trekstor.de web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back