DAP with bigest bass?
Mar 22, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 22
Yeah thats true with old sonys - my minidisk player has bass thats almost as much as my pocket PC can produce - but Ive found recent sonys like A3000 not to be as bassy.

Seems like X5 is the route Im going to go down, but might wait till new models comes out.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploop
x5 with BBE, EQ, M3B on..even on my e4's my head shakes. BOOM.

Does the X5 clip with all this on??? Or is that only for us Ipod owners???

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp
Does the X5 clip with all this on??? Or is that only for us Ipod owners???

I thought these features were only exclusive to iAudio players? anyways the ipod dosent have any usable EQ settings does it...most would give distortion...

another suggestion is getting an amp with a bass boost, the xin amp im waiting for has such a switchable feature but I cant comment much on it as I havent heard it personally...

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 22
What I meant was: Ipod+bass boost=clipping (unless mp3gain is used). I was wondering if X5+bass boost also = clipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fongalv
I thought these features were only exclusive to iAudio players? anyways the ipod dosent have any usable EQ settings does it...most would give distortion...

another suggestion is getting an amp with a bass boost, the xin amp im waiting for has such a switchable feature but I cant comment much on it as I havent heard it personally...

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #12 of 22
Mach3bass and BBE on the X5 will only hurt sound quality even more when you use them with a good IEM like the UM2. These features are designed to enhance the quality of stock earbuds and cheap consumer phones, not professional-quality stage monitors like the UM2.

Out of all DAPs that I've had or heard, I think iRiver tends to boost the midbass and lower treble on their players slightly in order to give them a punchier sound. However, the H120 hisses far too much to make a good pairing with the UM2 unamped. I think the H10 actually sounds pretty good from what I remember, but I haven't tried it in a long time, much less with high-quality files.

The Kenwood HD20GA7 has terrific bass, deep, texured, controlled, and very strong, but the hiss levels with the UM2 are completely unacceptable. Too bad really, since it would be perfect otherwise.

I think you're SOL. If you want more bass, get a bassier phone. Try using Comply tips on the UM2, or get the Super.fi 5 EB.

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 22
The ipod does seem to have bass roll off with low impedance phones. I believe Mr Bangraman posted a thread about it. Do a search you should be able to find it.

I do not know if there is the same deficit over different generations of ipods though.

The way I got round this deficit was to use a ps-1+flats. Funnily enough this seemed to do the trick.

Mar 23, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician
Well I have a pair of UM2's!

Well. You also can't expect much bass from IEMs. Have you tried with an actual set of cans? The bass is much more pronounced. There isn't too much you can do unless you can find a player with decent EQ/SQ. I'd recommend iRiver 120/140. I've read they have the best equalizers of all DAPs. Iaudio is good too.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 22
The Zen Micro also has a bass roll-off, marginally less than the iPods. They do not sound any bassier than iPods in my experience, and the EQ is quite limited (though obviously less so than on the iPod).

As you had the Vision, you more or less know this, just wanted to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back