DAP Recommendations for Shure SE846 (~$750 budget used or new)
Nov 14, 2020 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

goblue92

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I just joined and am looking for recommendations for a DAP to pair with my Shure SE846 IEMs. My budget is right around $750 USD (used or new is OK), and I'd prefer the DAP to be Android-based as I plan to access music streaming services; access to the Google play store would be a huge plus. The Shure SE846 is a very efficient IEM at 9 ohms, so the DAP probably needs a very low noise floor and going by the rule of eighths this tells me that the output impedance of the amp stage should be less than 1.25 ohms. Lastly, I am based out of Los Angeles, California so if anyone knows of a place where I might be able to audition some of this gear, please let me know. Looking forward to any recommendations you may have, Thanks!

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello all, I just joined and am looking for recommendations for a DAP to pair with my Shure SE846 IEMs. My budget is right around $750 USD (used or new is OK), and I'd prefer the DAP to be Android-based as I plan to access music streaming services; access to the Google play store would be a huge plus. The Shure SE846 is a very efficient IEM at 9 ohms, so the DAP probably needs a very low noise floor and going by the rule of eighths this tells me that the output impedance of the amp stage should be less than 1.25 ohms. Lastly, I am based out of Los Angeles, California so if anyone knows of a place where I might be able to audition some of this gear, please let me know. Looking forward to any recommendations you may have, Thanks!
Just wondering, does it have to be a DAP? I know it’s a preference thing. I don’t use DAPs, but FWIW, I like the sound of the se846 a lot running of off the Dragonfly Cobalt, which you can connect to your phone. Whatever you get, make sure the output impedance is well below 1 ohm. The se846 is very picky regarding OI. The DF Cobalt is 0.6 Ohms. You could also consider Bluetooth options like the FiiO BTR5 or the Qudelix 5K.

Nov 20, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back