DAP recommendation for Sennheiser HD600
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

itachi69

New Head-Fier
This is my first post (after introduction) on head-fi. If I have made some mistakes, please bear with me.

I have a Sennheiser HD600 which I use with DAC/Amp Fiio EK10. While this setup works great when I'm using it to listen to music on my laptop or watching movies. I was wondering if there is a DAP that can drive the HD600s.

I get the argument of why to spend on DAP when a DAC/Amp setup is more than sufficient. My main concern is with music portability. At work, I use Sennheiser PXC-550, and at home, I use HD-600 with Fiio EK10. But the problem is I need to maintain music on two different devices which are cumbersome. If I can find a DAP which works really well with HD-600 then I'm set.

Budget: 0-$300

I have looked at Fiio M6 to Onkyo DP-X1 (clearly out of budget) based on the suggestion made in the forums. Below are the ones I have looked at:
  • Cowon Plenue D2
  • Questyle QP1R
  • Fiio M6/M11 M3k X3/X5
  • Shanling M0
  • Onkyo DP-X1
  • iBasso DX50/100/160/200
Some of the above are clearly out of budget. From my research, I found that some people have suggested Fiio X5 as a good option that can drive the HD600. Is that true? If there is any better alternative, please let me know. I have been trying to find a DAP that can drive the HD600 within my budget, it has been two weeks and I have not found any clear information.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 4

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
If you are listening on the go, 600 is an odd choice since it's an openback. If out and about, it makes sense to go closed-back or iem. The open-back works if you are in a private space that the leakage won't bother anybody around you, and if this is the case, why not get something that's a transportable, not really portable? It makes sense to just get a decent full-sized dac/amp setup, if you can keep it at that location. It's not a portable source friendly headphone.

If out an about with a 600 with noise all around with the bass roll-off, it doesn't work. You want isolation with some decent amount of bass.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 4

itachi69

New Head-Fier
Like I have mentioned in the post, I don't use the HD600 outside, only at home. I usually listen to songs at home and outside as well. Keeping music on two different devices would be difficult. If I have a DAP, then I can use them at home with HD-600, and outside I can use the PXC-550 headphone which is closed-back.

Jun 20, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 4

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Like I have mentioned in the post, I don't use the HD600 outside, only at home. I usually listen to songs at home and outside as well. Keeping music on two different devices would be difficult. If I have a DAP, then I can use them at home with HD-600, and outside I can use the PXC-550 headphone which is closed-back.
If that's the case, I wouldn't be of help. I can't recommend DAPs for 600 because that's not the way I would listen to 600. To me 600 is a headphone I plug into something like Bottlehead crack at home.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread