DAP Question (Samsung YP-MT6 specifically)
Jun 16, 2005 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fiz

Head-Fier
Well I took the plunge and picked up a Samsung YP-MT6 and I have a question about it. I have noticed when playing back anything there is an underlying noise - sort of like a dog whistle but not as sharp and loud, this is at the base of everything I play. I didn't notice it with the crappy earbuds that came with but if I use my Senn 555's or Ety 6i's on it I can clearly hear it when there is a pause or a gradual increase in sound such as at the beginning of some tracks. It seems like it's there always as long as I am playing something back. I would exchange it but I have a feeling this player isn't a good source and I might as well return the YP-MT6 and get something better.

Any suggestions on a better player (preferably a flash drive player, I don't need a huge amout of space and I like using AA's, unless someone can convince me otherwise)? Also if any of you have this specific player do you notice this, as my brother can't pick it up. I don't know if its because I have a more trained ear or if I am just crazy.

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Fiz,

I just posted a new thread about my (as an old man) having succumbed to the convenience of a YP-T6 flash player (same as yours but AAA powered... mine is 512Mb capacity). The sound quality on mine is totally hiss free with material ripped on my computer from Redbook CDs. I haven't D/Led any MP3 or other format musical files from the Net so I can't comment on whether that might be the source of the hiss you're getting. Bottom line is that your unit may be defective.

--Bob

Jun 16, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 6
I encode all of my music from bought CD's in Ogg Vorbis format. It isn't really a hiss either, its more like a constant whistle.

I am going to try MP3 format here in a second and see if I can reproduce it.

Edit: Well that is weak, if I playback wav's I don't get it....need to do some more testing. I get the whistle with MP3's too
confused.gif

Well I have confirmed it isn't my encoders as I don't get it with another source with identical .ogg and .mp3 files. Well this sucks because I was really starting to get used to this player, but I am damned if I am going to put up with this after dropping $150. Ugh.

Jul 10, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 6
fiz - I have the exact same problem!! Finally picked up some Shure e3's and dam, dam, bummer! They sound great...until the "wowoowowowowowwowowo" comes up :frowning2:

I thoroughly hope this to be a defect and not a flaw. I've used sony ex71's and mx500's with it and just like you, no problems. It really puts a
mad.gif
frown.gif
in the tunes! Especially with a phone that isolates...

Jul 10, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Not with my player, no. (At least with the headphones I have in my sig.) It does have random clicks and spueaks every few minutes, but that was my fault. I somehow got the firmware and memory to go corrupt, and the sounds started appearing. Getting a new warranty unit in this week tho.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back