DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #2,071 of 2,125
I like the Opus #2 after more listening. It sounds pretty dynamic, and actually the low lower treble isn't as bad the Mojo(Mojo has some shrill in that area, and sibilance can be pronounced from certain recording with certain iems) which the Opus doesn't suffer as much in(this is recording dependent so it is there, just don't want to be emphasized), but I will say the upper low treble(trying to make a precise distinction between the two lower treble regions). But definately the Opus #2 resolving in a forward way that ESS chips are pretty consistent in. Already two iems that pair better than the Mojo.

I have read all your recent posts, glad you are liking the Opus #2, but I do feel sometimes placebo can come in to play a little. I bet in a blind test, or even other listening test where you didn't know the Opus #2 is using an ESS chip you might have different impressions. I think because you know it uses an ESS chip and the AK players don't you are looking for some glare/emphasis in the highs, which me and plenty of others do not hear.

But the most important thing is you are enjoying it :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #2,072 of 2,125
I have read all your recent posts, glad you are liking the Opus #2, but I do feel sometimes placebo can come in to play a little. I bet in a blind test, or even other listening test where you didn't know the Opus #2 is using an ESS chip you might have different impressions. I think because you know it uses an ESS chip and the AK players don't you are looking for some glare/emphasis in the highs, which me and plenty of other do not hear.

Like lasts a month, two months or a day.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #2,074 of 2,125
I have read all your recent posts, glad you are liking the Opus #2, but I do feel sometimes placebo can come in to play a little. I bet in a blind test, or even other listening test where you didn't know the Opus #2 is using an ESS chip you might have different impressions. I think because you know it uses an ESS chip and the AK players don't you are looking for some glare/emphasis in the highs, which me and plenty of others do not hear.

Very true. It's best for me not to have anything bias my opinions before extensive listen.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,075 of 2,125
So, a weird encountered I've had with Opus#2. When I listened to it with Sony EX-1000 the bass dropped noticibly, and coming out of the Mojo, outputs more bass.

I know it shouldn't be related to output impedance as the EX-1000 has nearly flat impedance response.

Based on my experience, Mojo hadn't provided any less than it can with everything I threw at it. I like it's consistancy.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #2,076 of 2,125
So, a weird encountered I've had with Opus#2. When I listened to it with Sony EX-1000 the bass dropped noticibly, and coming out of the Mojo, outputs more bass.

I know it shouldn't be related to output impedance as the EX-1000 has nearly flat impedance response.

Based on my experience, Mojo hadn't provided any less than it can with everything I threw at it. I like it's consistancy.
Obvious that would happen.

Aug 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #2,077 of 2,125

EX1000 are awesome with Mojo and not awesome with OPUS #2. OPUS #3 is really a bad pairing. IEM that reveal a lot of treble detail with a DAP (#3) that seems to have emphasis in the treble. Bad combo :frowning2:

Sep 3, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,078 of 2,125
AK380 was more resolving than the Mojo, but not as realistic sounding as Mojo. I think Mojo is less digital sounding(probably due to less forward out of the bunch on certain ranges) and the most realistic sounding of the bunch.

I was listening to the AK380 yesterday and I have to agree. It sounded unnatural after spending so much time with the Chord Mojo and Hugo 2.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #2,079 of 2,125
I do like Opus #2 though, it's very dynamic sounding with good separation. Goes well with Andomeda. Details are more in your face.

I'm listening to Depeche Mode electronic tracks and sounds good out of it with the Andromeda(which works well with Electronic genre). I think electronic genre sounds good out of it(the combination is recommended for electronic genre lovers, but if prefer warm sound, it is not although you get bottom half warmth with bass due to the dynamics, it does output Andromeda's upper half frequencies colder characteristics as the sibilance is on the harsher side due to Andromeda's characteristics). It's not a boring player due to the dynamics it pushes. I gauge how fun it can sound in terms of dynamics, separation, and sound stage for modern and electronic genre. Because electronic genre can sound flat and boring out of the wrong setup.

I like the look of it more so than A&K players. A&K players lets you transfer files while playing music, but Opus does not.

Like the ui as well, pretty close to A&K. Similar volume adjustment style( rotational knob with touch screen level adjustment). I like the volume knob more than any A&K.

ui I prefer better than A&K as it's very intuitive to navigate and easy to move between folder during playback.

If you have a collection of DAPs, Opus should be one included.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #2,080 of 2,125
EX1000 are awesome with Mojo and not awesome with OPUS #2. OPUS #3 is really a bad pairing. IEM that reveal a lot of treble detail with a DAP (#3) that seems to have emphasis in the treble. Bad combo :frowning2:

That's unfortunate... I like ex1000 with Opus#1, I usually use with them with that or Alien these days.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #2,081 of 2,125
Although the Opus#2 accentuates the lower treble in the region associated with harsh, vocals have good amount of textures if you like that. It's not too bold so it is one of more resolving kind, just that it maybe slightly forward for some. I like the vocals out of it personally.

I think Andromeda is gauger of lower treble. It's a good reference monitor to gauge sources.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,083 of 2,125
Such a lovely thread, however, it's pretty hard for a new comer to go back all the pages. Could OP create something like a ranking list, or an overall sum-up conclusion please?

Very hard to do that actually, I'd recommend checking each review individually, things usually aren't as simple as ranking DAPs simply because they have (most of times) polarizing different signatures.

Quick example:

I really like the sound of DX200, which is fairly neutral, but 1Z, while loved by many and very well regarded / has nice sound, wasn't my cup of tea.

If you know what you like, it is simpler to tell what best suits you.

For example, you like warm, or you like neutral signatures, or you like dry, or you like wet sound, you decide what you like, and then it is simpler to tell what to look into

Sep 9, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2,084 of 2,125
Such a lovely thread, however, it's pretty hard for a new comer to go back all the pages. Could OP create something like a ranking list, or an overall sum-up conclusion please?

Not quite what your'e looking for & sorry if you already know this but ICYMI:
Can try a thread specific search for just OP's posts for more condensed reading.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #2,085 of 2,125
Very hard to do that actually, I'd recommend checking each review individually, things usually aren't as simple as ranking DAPs simply because they have (most of times) polarizing different signatures.

Quick example:

I really like the sound of DX200, which is fairly neutral, but 1Z, while loved by many and very well regarded / has nice sound, wasn't my cup of tea.

If you know what you like, it is simpler to tell what best suits you.

For example, you like warm, or you like neutral signatures, or you like dry, or you like wet sound, you decide what you like, and then it is simpler to tell what to look into

This, and I agree very much with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back