DAP/Headphone Combo Under 500
Jun 6, 2015 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

theHof

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get a new portable setup, would like to spend less than $500 between the DAP and a pair of headphones.  Lately I've been listening to a lot of classical acoustic guitar, delta blues and miles davis.

Can Considerations: 

Grado SR325e - they seem to be getting reviewed really well, I loved my sr80is until they broke but still kicked myself for not going further up the line the first time around.  I'm leaning most towards these may also be open to the SR225e so I can kick myself later - it's fun.

Sennheiser HD600 - I'm considering these just because I'm seeing decent used prices, I've liked the sound when powered right but that's also why I'm considering these less.  I'm already assuming I'd have to use the LO function on one of the DAPs to use a more powerful amp to really hear these, but, would any of the DAPs be alright until I could add an amp?

Hifiman HE-400 - I'm interested in trying this type of headphone out and I like the Hifiman house sound.

Shure SRH840 - I've just seen some good reviews and if they have decent soundstage I'd be open to closed headphones again, I have owned and loved a pair of Denon D2000s.

DAP Considerations:

Fiio X1 - Seems to be reviewing very well for it's price.

Fiio X3 v2 - I like but don't need it's other features like DSD or being used as a computer DAC.

HM-601 - I had this before with my SR80is and liked it OK, part of me wants to give it another shot with some nicer headphones. Used can be found pretty cheap.

iBasso DX-50 - I like the design of this one most and do currently enjoy a D-Zero on my computers.

Any Ideas on some combos?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 5

theHof

100+ Head-Fier
I think I'm down to just wanting the 325es.  Does anyone have any insight on the synergy of those headphones with an x1 vs a dx50? That's what it's down to at this point....

what matches the Grados better - the X1 or the DX50? The Fiio or iBasso sound?

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 5

diamondears

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I'm down to just wanting the 325es.  Does anyone have any insight on the synergy of those headphones with an x1 vs a dx50? That's what it's down to at this point....

what matches the Grados better - the X1 or the DX50? The Fiio or iBasso sound?

Go to the Grado thread. It's very active and there are lots of Grado heads there that could help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread