DAP for HD650
Jun 29, 2019 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kayLF

New Head-Fier
Hi, guys!

I’m completely new to the audiophile world and just purchased my first pair of audiophile headphones, used on AVexchange... Sennheiser HD650’s. I purchased these spontaneously, not thinking about the fact that I’ll need an amp/dac setup to drive them optimally. I was already interested in buying a DAP, for on-the-go listening without my phone, so, I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for DAP’s that would adequately drive the HD650’s, without the additional help of an external amp/dac?

Thank you so much for any and all suggestions!

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 25
I would suggest getting a DAP and the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 or ATH-WS99 headphones, better for portable use.
Use the HD650 for around the home, plugged into a computer or receiver.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 25
Fair enough, thanks so much! While I have you here - do you have an amp / dac combo (either all-in-one or separates) you’d most recommend for the HD650’s? My budget is max $500, but ideally under that.
Thanks again!
Topping Dx7s, sold thru Massdrop.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s
And get a balanced cable for the HD650.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 25
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...essions-thread.197776/page-1844#post-11806577
to recap:
specifically for the hd650, you want an amp that can do at least 3.98v or 52mw into 300ohm. you don't need to know more but I thought it would be nice to explain why those values instead of throwing them at your face.

this, while keeping in mind that those numbers are to be able to achieve around 115dB SPL which is really loud!!! instead of 4V my typical use is more around 0.2 to 0.4V as fairly loud listening(based on my own habits of a rather quiet listener TBH!) 0.4V will peak at maximum 20dB below so 95dB. depending on the music and listener's habits(how loud you like it, if you reduce the gain with EQ, replaygain, etc), that might not be loud enough for you. having some idea of how loud you plan to go is a big deal when looking for a DAP to drive a headphone that's not described as "portable". and if you don't have a clue, then aiming for 115dB is a very safe value with enough margin for almost anything. at the cost of strongly limiting the number or DAPs that will satisfy the voltage requirement.

the second remark is that of course having enough power for a certain load and a given listening level is just the minimum electrical requirement. it vastly increases the chances for everything to be fine, but does in no way ensure high fidelity or a sound you will like. someone used to, and expecting the sound he has on his warm and super colored tube amp setup, will probably have a hard time enjoying his HD650 out of a random DAP.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 25
Hi, guys!

I’m completely new to the audiophile world and just purchased my first pair of audiophile headphones, used on AVexchange... Sennheiser HD650’s. I purchased these spontaneously, not thinking about the fact that I’ll need an amp/dac setup to drive them optimally. I was already interested in buying a DAP, for on-the-go listening without my phone, so, I’m wondering if anyone has any recommendations for DAP’s that would adequately drive the HD650’s, without the additional help of an external amp/dac?

Thank you so much for any and all suggestions!

X7 then check which module has the highest output at 300ohms. As long as you don't expect it to have the same verve and drive or clean at high output sound as they would have from a good desktop amp, that should be fine.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 25
Why not just use your phone as a DAP, and get an amp/dac? What would a DAP give you that cannot be gotten from your phone, (or another cheap phone if you want a dedicated device)? I'm guessing phones will have a much more responsive user interface, more choice of software players, and better updates to the OS

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 25
Fair enough, thanks so much! While I have you here - do you have an amp / dac combo (either all-in-one or separates) you’d most recommend for the HD650’s? My budget is max $500, but ideally under that.

Thanks again!

The best buddy for 650 is BH Crack. But it's a DIY project so you need to pick up an iron and do some soldering. If you're really not into soldering, Garage1217 Project Ember or Schiit Vahalla amp might be a good choice.

For Dac Schiit Modi is within your target.

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 25
The best buddy for 650 is BH Crack. But it's a DIY project so you need to pick up an iron and do some soldering. If you're really not into soldering, Garage1217 Project Ember or Schiit Vahalla amp might be a good choice.

For Dac Schiit Modi is within your target.
Not for sure why we are talking about a OTL amp as the OP was wanting a Dap. Have a Little Hiby R3 and silver plated 2.5mm balanced cables for my HD-6xx’s and they do quite well but would a bit more.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 25
lol...because DAP or portable amp cannot do 650/6xx right

Yeah, I quickly sensed that to be the case..so I’ll probably wind up getting a DAP to use on-the-go with undetermined budget IEM’s and put down for an at-home dedicated DAC / amp set up for the 650’s.

Thanks for the input, everyone! Much appreciated.

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 25
I'd recommend getting an LG V20 or LG V30 for cheap which will work/drive those headphones and also give you built-in access to streaming files + access to 2 tb SD card storage.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 25
I have an LG G7 & HD650. Was surprised how well the LG drives the headphones. Not perfect, I just bought a headphone amp (Graham Slee ULD). Tested quite a few amps with that combo. The best under 300€/$ one was Aune X7S. LG G7 is equal to V30 I think (same quad dac). But LG + HD650 is fairly portable, although I don't even like to listen to them in my balcony, due to noise getting through (open..) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back