DAP for best portable sound
Mar 22, 2019 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
Upgraditis has me pondering a dap purchase. I am thinking about the Cayin N8 and the A&K SP1000. Oddly, I am also podering the DX200, even though my taste runs more to the warm side of neutral. I have quite a few good daps now, and will probably thin the herd after my new player arrives. I've heard both of the above choices, but not with my new Solaris, which I love very much. What has turned my head is tha Qulos QA361, which I think sounds awesome, It is a no-frills machine with a basic screen, no wireless connectivity, etc. You load files on a microsd, and it plays them really well. It is quite pockeatble, and has loyts of power and decent battery life. So, of course being the loony audiphile that I am, I wonder whether there is something out there that sounds even better, used solely to play files from a memory card (flac, wav, dsd).

Can daps with lots of feaures, and connectivity compete sonically with simpler rigs?
Will a proprietary OS always sound better than an Android-based one?
Can you get good tag reading in a player that still boots up really fast?
Can you get relly good power and good battery life at the same time?

I listen to acoustic jazz and prog rock and prog metal, and I want the instruments to sound how rthey sound live, dyamic, timbrally correct, and with a 3-D palpable image.

What are your experience-based thoughts?

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 6
DX220 is coming tho. If you like warm sound, Cayin N8 is a good fit. Lotoo Paw Gold Touch is also a good one, at least technically.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Upgraditis has me pondering a dap purchase. I am thinking about the Cayin N8 and the A&K SP1000. Oddly, I am also podering the DX200, even though my taste runs more to the warm side of neutral. I have quite a few good daps now, and will probably thin the herd after my new player arrives. I've heard both of the above choices, but not with my new Solaris, which I love very much. What has turned my head is tha Qulos QA361, which I think sounds awesome, It is a no-frills machine with a basic screen, no wireless connectivity, etc. You load files on a microsd, and it plays them really well. It is quite pockeatble, and has loyts of power and decent battery life. So, of course being the loony audiphile that I am, I wonder whether there is something out there that sounds even better, used solely to play files from a memory card (flac, wav, dsd).

Can daps with lots of feaures, and connectivity compete sonically with simpler rigs?
Will a proprietary OS always sound better than an Android-based one?
Can you get good tag reading in a player that still boots up really fast?
Can you get relly good power and good battery life at the same time?

I listen to acoustic jazz and prog rock and prog metal, and I want the instruments to sound how rthey sound live, dyamic, timbrally correct, and with a 3-D palpable image.

What are your experience-based thoughts?

Are you still using the Sony NW-WM1Z?

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 6
Dx220+amp8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back