DAP choices
Jan 21, 2019 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MattAsAHatter

Head-Fier
I'm leery of posting a new thread on a topic I'm sure has been beat to death elsewhere in various forms. However, it seems like the market is super broad and the answers are somewhat subjective and extremely relative to specific needs. I've done a bit of searching and reading of topics and reviews and haven't quite put it all together yet so I'm seeking opinions.

I currently have the Audioquest Dragonfly Red and the Fiio A5 at my disposal for portable purposes. I'm thinking about going away from using my phone or tablet as a source and dumping the ADR for a DAP that fulfills some specific requirements....

-Meze 99 Classics and B&O H6 are my portable headphones.
-I listen to a wide variety of music but not much jazz or country.
-I'm not biased against/towards any specific software or brand as my experience is limited but I am picky about hardware and audio quality.
-A line out or line out capability.
-Decent amplification (I think my H6 sounds better with a little amplification) in case I don't feel like dragging along my A5.
-Balanced output is not a must but may be nice for future needs.
-Ability to be used as a USB DAC.
-Streaming would be a bonus but I'm okay if it's strictly a source.
-Slightly flavored is fine as long it's warm leaning.
-I'm perfectly okay with finding a used unit and would like to keep it under $200 but could probably stretch to $250.

I've recently been looking at the Fiio X5 iii and Shanling M3s and find those units very interesting. Am I aiming too high without justification? I have no reference for comparisons or preference. I know there are a lot of other brands and units out there.

Thoughts?

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 11
Checkout ibasso options too

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 11
Checkout ibasso options too

Any particular models? Someone has a DX80 still available on here I think. Oh and thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 11
Those are my two portables as well. Well played. Can't help with the dap. I use an Opus #1s - no streaming capabilities.

I'm happy so far! I was about to ask a general question about the Opus #1 as an option. There are at least 2-3 reasonable deals on it out there.

Jan 21, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Jan 21, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 11
Jan 22, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback so far. I'm going to be on the hunt for deals now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back