DAP Challenge Chart (Including 26 Portable Sources, the BIT Opus 1 added. More to come..)
Jan 16, 2015 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 165

MikePortnoy

Reviewer at The Headphone List
Hello mates,

I would like to prepare a chart about DAP Challenge in order to give some opinions about them. Since it is very difficult to put them together due to financial reasons, some scorings are done from memory. I hope it would be helpful for all of you.

Impressions may vary from listener to listener; I have respect for all those different ideas. So, if you share your own thoughts, I would be more than happy. 

Cheers

1000+ USD Daps

1000-600 USD Daps

200-600 USD Daps

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 165
I'm surpised how low you've scored the (now discontinued) DX100
rolleyes.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 165
  I'm surpised how low you've scored the (now discontinued) DX100
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, DX100 is not natural as required. It has an aggressive presentation, especially on upper mids. It is also fast and detailed, but with bright and thin notes. That's makes it unnatural, in my opinion. QLS360 has a similar presentation, but it is more natural and musical than DX100. However, Dx100's low and center mids are really good. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 165
  I would like to correct something though, Tera Player has an UI, but it doesn't have GUI (graphical UI). So yeah Mike, it exists
happy_face1.gif

It just has a plug and play UI :) 

I owned most of them in the list; I owned DX100 for two times. For the last time, I was really disappointed, especially pairing with 1p2..

I had long time audition on all of them with help of our local hifi forum's members, I am trying to be objective as much as possible mate.  

May 15, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 165
Interesting that the AK120 is still holding its own after all this time. I concur with the findings :wink: Despite being spat on in some corners of head-fi since newer and flashier came along, it's still a very good DAP IMO. It comes at a confluence of intelligent compromises. If one likes its sound signature, the SQ is still excellent, battery life is very respectable, and no other player save for the Calyx M can have that massive storage -at least for the Titan. Come 31st of May, it'll be able to hold more than half a terabyte of music... 200+200+128. I'm very fond of that little thing.

EDIT: that was *half* a tera, obviously.

May 15, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 165
  I think PAW Gold is better player than Tera but if that's how you heard I am not gonna argue about it
happy_face1.gif

Well, it can be discussed. :) Paw Gold has better lows, resolution and highs in sum. However I find Tera's tonality and mids better than all. 

Interesting that the AK120 is still holding its own after all this time. I concur with the findings :wink: Despite being spat on in some corners of head-fi since newer and flashier came along, it's still a very good DAP IMO. It comes at a confluence of intelligent compromises. If one likes its sound signature, the SQ is still excellent, battery life is very respectable, and no other player save for the Calyx M can have that massive storage -at least for the Titan. Come 31st of May, it'll be able to hold more than a terabyte of music... 200+200+128. I'm very fond of that little thing.

AK120 is still strong. I am auditioning an AK100ii at the moment, it does have some better qualities than AK120, such as transparency and liveliness. On the other hand, AK120 sounds more ''organic'' or ''analogue'' than AK100ii with thicker and blacker notes. And yes, AK120 is very user friendly. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back