DAP as source+DAC? possible or am I asking too much?
Mar 12, 2017 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Miguel Ruiz

New Head-Fier
 Hey guys, Ive got a bit of a question here that is not letting me sleep.

Im building my first audio system, for the moment it will be headphone only. So im starting out with my source, Im going for a DAP, still debating between the Fiio x5 III, the pioneer xdp-300r, or the Ak70, at the begging it will be pretty simple, DAP+IEM (MEE P1), as I get some more money and start building upon it, I want to get a proper HP amp and headphones, the Woo Wa2 and the LCD 2 respectively.

Is there any way I can use the DAP as my DAC, I mean, I would rather put the DAC money into a really good DAP (AK 300) and use that than getting a DAP with a good DAC just to bypass the DAC to conect it to another DAC that has the RCA outputs, I hate redundancy. Is this possible with a 3.5mm to RCA plugged directly to the Wa2? or with the audio quality suffer? Another thing about adding a DAC is that it would take up my usb port and so, I couldn't charge and listen at the same time.

My perfect set up would be DAP sitting on dock station, charging, and conected directly to the Wa2, Ive considered the Fiio k5 dock which would solve all my problems but it would force me to get a Fiio DAP and plus.... I think the thing is ugly AF, LOL. 

Thanks for any info or ideas. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 2
Many DAPs come with a line-output function, which it what you want to use for connecting to an add-on headphone amplifier.
Amplified headphone jack can be used to connect to an add-on head amp, but the line-output is better at sending a analog audio signal, to the add-on amp.
Some of the FiiO DAPs, will use the same jack for both line-output and amplified headphone jack, FiiO's come with a setting for switching the function of the jack.
Different brands and models may or may not share output functions on the same jack or may use separate jacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back