Dangerous Music Source DAC
Apr 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #16 of 309
Quote:
It's July 20. Linky

I'm set with the M51 (waiting for the Schiit statement DAC), but I am curious to hear how the DM compares to the field.

i'll keep the event in mind especially if you get a BMC PureDAC to demo.  knowing myself though, would be a stretch for me to go to LA just for this event, especially since it appears that my rig has plateaued for the near future ...

2nd day with the Source.  probably burned it in for 4 hours+ so far.  running USB (a USB cord shipped with the Source) connect to Mac - didn't have to install any drivers as I'm running OS 10.6.8.

the DM Source through my Grados sounds straightforward and analytic yet engaging and sonically "crisp".  rather revealing as i've heard sound artifacts in songs that i've never hear before - as to be expected from a good DAC.

unit has a tidy little footprint at 12 3/4" x 8" x 1 5/8" 

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 309
Quote:
mighty interesting and great find!

yes yes.  got my Mogami xlr cables on Friday for a balanced connection to my monitors and this DM Source is proving to be quite the work horse.   sound is very transparent and revealing yet engaging and far from sterile.  the Source has really boosted the quality and performance level of my rig. really synergizes well w/ my Mac and Dynaudios.  at the $900 price point, I feel it is a very solid value and am happy with my purchase so far.

again, here is a link to a more thorough review:

Alan Evans is a producer/engineer and co-founder/drummer of the bands Soulive and The Alan Evans Trio.

"IN CONCLUSION

So – at $899 – is the Source really worth it?  I’ve been making money recording and mixing for over 20 years now.  Over those 20 years I’ve wasted a good amount of money on gear that was trendy, quirky or just plain old cheap. Most of the time I was just trying to save a buck and get something that was “close” to the real thing.

The Dangerous Source is made to perform at top levels in a world-class multi-million dollar studio or in your bedroom studio. If your prized possessions right now are a couple of 57′s, your laptop, an open-source DAW and some headphones, right on!!  I’m with you and I’m all about it.  But I would suggest you strongly consider the Source when your budget allows it.

We are all putting a lot of time, energy and love into our music. Make sure you and everyone else who hears your music can really appreciate your vision."

and some high praise for Dangerous converters:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/777971-dangerous-source-convertors.html

Apr 22, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 309
Thanks for the update, sounds like a serious contender. How do you like the headphone amp?

Apr 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #20 of 309
Quote:
Thanks for the update, sounds like a serious contender. How do you like the headphone amp?

headphone amp?  i'd say precise, clear and efficient.  

i'm driving Grados though, not sure how it'd drive higher impedance headphones...

telling comment from M. Brew on GS:

"I recently got the Dangerous Source, after using the Avocet, Gain Train, and Great River Mixmaster, I think it is on par if not better in terms of sound quality and a better price as well..."

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/797498-monitor-controller-highest-quality-reasonable-price-3.html

Apr 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #21 of 309
Aphinity,
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Dangerous Source.  I would have felt guilty if you did not, because I'm the one who originally recommended it to you.  I continue to enjoy mine.  Just for chucks, I tried Linux on my computer and installed the Deadbeef music player.  With not much fussing, I got it to drive the USB input of my Source in bit-perfect mode.  Sounds great using the Linux Mint OS and DeadBeef.   
Have fun with your new DAC and enjoy your music.
Rich

Apr 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 309
Rich,

Yes, thanks again for the recommend.  I'm happy w/ the Source purchase so far.

I bought Bitperfect for Mac but def looking for a better alternative to Itunes.  I have so many folders in Itunes though, I'd be key to have a nice importing feature for all the music organizing i've invested time and effort in.

The shining comments on GearSlutz re: the DM converters & reputation + the pro endorsements on the DM site really piqued my interest in the Source.  I like the price point too - feel like I got a good value without having to drop $1.75K+ on the DAC/monitor controller.

With all the progress & dev. w/ DACs nowadays, I figure the DM Source should tide me over for a few years when I can revisit the market.

I'm def interested in tinkering with my setup to derive the best sound.  At this point, just have the DM-provided USB cable from computer to Source.  Then Mogami Microphone Cable -- 2549 Neglex w/ Neutrik Gold XLR to the Dynaudio DBM50s.

Wondering if a USB / SPDIF and/or a power cable upgrade would be worth it?

I must say i'm pretty happy with the setup so far...

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 309
^ try Audirvana (trial available). You continue to use iTunes to manage the music, but it takes over the sound engine. As well, it can import flac into iTunes (appears to convert to aiff); more convenient than fidelia's approach.

Fwiw, in my case it made a significant improvement whereas bit perfect and Fidelia seemed only subtle. This across several dacs, tube and SS amps, and LCD2 and Beyerdynamic T1 phones.

Apr 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #24 of 309
Aphinity,
I defer to AiDee as to Mac player software, because I don't use my MacBook for my music source.  I use a PC with JRiver Media Center.  I've been very happy with that.  JRiver has just come out with with a Mac version of JRiver and I bet you can download a 30-day trial version to try out.  
You can certainly try other USB cables; I have used Monoprice and Belkin cables which sound fine to me and are inexpensive.  The sky is the limit with USB cables, though.  I mostly use a Lynx AES16 PCI audio interface in my PC, which has a propriety cable connection and I use XLR Mogami cable from there to my Source.  Sounds great.
I don't think you can experiment with power cables, because the Source uses an external switching power supply and Dangerous cautions not to use any other power supply.  There's a second power connection on the back and Dangerous hints in their manual that they are working on something new for that connection.  Seems likely that they are working on a battery supply, because they market the Source as a portable device.  
Rich

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #25 of 309
Have any of you "Source" owners used the rca line outputs and if so how is the sound quality compared to the xlr outs? I assume this is a differential balanced rig and I would need to use the single ended line outputs.

May 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #26 of 309
I pulled the trigger on a "Source" from Sweetwater. After my 1st couple of hours through the headphone amp I am impressed. It has plenty of power to drive my Maddogs. I would describe the sound as dynamic, transparent, and open. Rather than a warm or thin sound I would call it neutral, being a tube guy I was afraid it would be a little threadbare. I look forward to running the various outputs to my other audio rigs. For 900 bucks I am tickled pink.

May 10, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 309
I was impressed by the amount of reviews for the DM Source relative to its mastering grade DAC/monitor controller capabilities. Digging deeper, DM makes a lot of higher end studio gear. Cool American company. Welcome to the club, GB. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Source!

May 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #28 of 309
Wow, single ende outputs are 1/4TS plugs, not RCA. Not sure how I missed this. Looks like Mogami makes TS to RCA cables. :xf_eek: Beware single ended users. However, this thing is not going back. I am not giving up the increase in resolution of detail.

May 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #29 of 309
Quote:
Wow, single ende outputs are 1/4TS plugs, not RCA. Not sure how I missed this. Looks like Mogami makes TS to RCA cables.
redface.gif
Beware single ended users. However, this thing is not going back. I am not giving up the increase in resolution of detail.

What kind of headphones are you using, GB? 

& What are you trying to connect your Source to?

May 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #30 of 309
The headphone amp is delicious, but try to plug rca interconnects into the line out on the back of the Source once. They wont fit.  In the manual it states these are TS connectors. I found Mogami and monster TS to RCA interconnects. In the pictures the TS side looks like a 1/4" headphone plug. This is the first time I've ever run into this connector for a stereo connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back