Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 15, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #5,356 of 5,971
The power requirements of both the Stealth and the Expanse are well documented here by those of common sense and experience. Like the Susvara they sing with ample power and current as you state!!
There is a saying in the auto community that "There is no replacement for displacement".

With these, current is your friend. Yep, they sound good with a typical good desktop amp. Put them with something that has some backbone and they come to life.

Jan 18, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #5,358 of 5,971
Hi guys, the Stealth has been sounding a little bass-light to me compared to my HD800 and HEDDphone, and I'm wondering if it's a seal issue.

As you can see, above my jawbone there is a bit of space I can almost insert my pinky in between.
I am wondering if this is normal and it's supposed to have poor seal at the top or I just have an oddly protruding jawbone 😅. I have tried fiddling with the position and I can reduce the gap a little but not eliminate it.
Related question: does anyone here know if the Expanse less sensitive to seal breakage?

I can only speak from my experience....the Foam reacts very strongly to body heat and the ear pads get a lot softer after 30 minutes in each session 😉

NOMAX

PS.Which increases the seal clearly every time anew....but I am not a beard wearer and do not have such a hair more 😎

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #5,359 of 5,971
And I like to mention again playing partners that pairs very well with the Stealth
Questyle CM15 and the Fiio M17+PL50 👍

NOMAX

PS.or the Zähl HM1...but not because it sounds so good in normal mode...but much more because of its features...bass/treble control as well
as the soundstageknob👍....who can do without these do not consider the ZÄHL HM1...would be to much misinvested money 😉

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #5,360 of 5,971
And I like to mention again playing partners that pairs very well with the Stealth
Questyle CM15 and the Fiio M17+PL50 👍

NOMAX

PS.or the Zähl HM1...but not because it sounds so good in normal mode...but much more because of its features...bass/treble control as well
as the soundstageknob👍....who can do without these do not consider the ZÄHL HM1...would be to much misinvested money 😉
...or just get the ADI-2 (Pro if you think you need more power) for less than 25% of the money (much less for the DAC version), you have the same features and much more.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #5,361 of 5,971
I can only speak from my experience....the Foam reacts very strongly to body heat and the ear pads get a lot softer after 30 minutes in each session 😉

NOMAX

PS.Which increases the seal clearly every time anew....but I am not a beard wearer and do not have such a hair more 😎
This makes sense. I remember consistently having "holy crap" moments about 20-30 minutes into every Stealth listening session. I always figured it was my brain adapting and everything kind of coming into focus, but the earpads softening and the seal improving makes more sense.

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #5,362 of 5,971
All makes sence what i say

NOMAX

PS.because was also with my Stealth for a thorough inspection at Austrian Audio (formerly Akg Vienna) 😉
However, full beard wearers will still have difficult, just like with other models...this also became visible in the animation during the measurements

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #5,364 of 5,971
I will commit to my audio hobby and shave my beard this week, let's see how much the bass improves! :)

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #5,367 of 5,971
Jan 19, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #5,368 of 5,971
As another owner of both the HE-1 and the Stealth, I fully agree with Nomax. If the tonality of the headphone is important to you, the Stealth is the way to go, imo. The HE-1 is still way better overall and with its huge transducer its sound is somehow mighty, bombastic compared to other headphone setups. It gives me peace of mind for the next 10+ years until my hearing will get worse anyway. But at least in some ways the Stealth comes quite close. Tonality is close but with the HE-1 having more treble sparkle. Bass definition of the Stealth is great when driven properly (with the Questyle CMA 15 in my case) and the Stealth does not have a real weakness unlike most other flagship headphones imho. Unfortunately, the stock cable holds it back a bit regarding bass definition and perceived speed. Zähl HM1 would give even more great options, but as an owner of the HE-1 I cannot justify pouring much money into a second headphone setup which will fall short compared to the HE-1 anyway.

I would not go for the X9000 without the possibility to use DSP/EQ (it has too little bass for my liking). And in case that you want to adjust its frequency response to the Harman Target, it ought to be tested before how much volume can be reached with the transducer.

Having seen Nomax' video with the one and only Axel Grell already, a significant design difference between the HE-1 and most other electrostatic (Stax) headphones becomes obvious. The video is in german language, but maybe folks here can learn some german in the course of the summer until he is willing to share it. :wink:

Cheers,
Bernie
What cable did you get for the Stealth to shine in the bass?

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #5,369 of 5,971
What cable did you get for the Stealth to shine in the bass?
Not OP but a budget friendly non-silver European option I'm very happy with is the Forza Audioworks Noire HPC MK2.

A less budget friendly option Nomax loves is his Crystal Cable Double Duet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back