Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 3, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #5,222 of 5,994
the stealth and expanse love power

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #5,223 of 5,994
I had the stealth before I owned the cfa3...I concur with the post above...most everything sounds great on the cfa3 and the expanse is no exception
Tripled. Although I can't be bothered to try any new headphones.

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #5,224 of 5,994
Hey Stealth owners, I am looking for an even trade for my Expanse. Please PM me if interested!

EDIT: I should say I'm looking for something recently purchased and like new, since that's the state of my Expanse. I would prefer a trade with a first owner. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #5,225 of 5,994
Cross post from Expanse thread since my thoughts are also about the Stealth:

I have had Stealth for about 4 months and Expanse a couple weeks.

Expanse has a couple hundred hours on it most likely.

Some raw notes on some differences between Expanse and Stealth that I am noticing:

Expanse:
Mid bass is more visceral and textural
thicker notes leaning on warmer notes.
There is an extra ethereal addition to the notes. It is like a tiny bit of reverb/musicality/fun added to each note.
Intimate but wider stage than Stealth. The sound is focused throughout the stage (intimate stage for an open back)

Stealth:
Sub bass is more visceral
leaner notes
timbre is very exact on everything. Instruments and vocals.
Detail retrieval is unprecedented.
More intimate sound. The sound is brought focused in the middle and then spreads out from there (intimate stage with more openness than any closed back I have heard.

They are different enough to justify keeping both. Justifications are needed with any addiction!

Best comments I have read about the two:
Stealth is the most open back of a closed back HP and Expanse is the most closed back of any open back HP

Stealth is like being in a recording studio and Expanse is like being at an intimate live concert with great sound.
I own both also and this is close to my analysis of them as well.

They're very close Expanse has slightly more bass/bass body, also has a slight edge in sound stage depth.

The Stealth slightly tighter in all areas of presentation except bass.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #5,226 of 5,994
Oct 9, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #5,227 of 5,994
I know there are other ADI-2 fans around here other than me. The new ADI-2 Pro 2/4 is available for preorder. Differences (not all are for audiophiles, but also for professional use):

1665327634657.png

1665327659029.png

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=35329&p=5

Oct 10, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5,229 of 5,994
Thanks a lot for sharing this music :beerchug: . Sounds incredible (listening to it with HD 800)
If you like this, you should also check thieir live recording, which is incredible - that it is live...

...there is also a video of another live session. What a musicianship!

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #5,230 of 5,994
I have come back to the Stealth. It impressed me when they were new, then other headphones came along and I got caught up in comparisons. But over time things settle in. I don't listen for long periods, but listening is a daily ritual, a way to settle back in after a very busy day at work. With acoustic music, mostly guitar or piano, the Stealth is a window into music, creativity and performance. When I want to hear this, I reach for the Stealth; it satisfies. It's a classic.

(For electronic/space/ambient/psybient I prefer the Meze Elite, which makes it easy to drift into those genres.)

Oct 13, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #5,231 of 5,994
I tried the Stealth at home today and compared to my LCD-5 (EQed to Harman Target)

Both headphones are great but I hear something a bit strange going on with the Stealth. Stealth is more ''damped'' sounding and the LCD-5 is a bit more lively.

It looks like there's just a thin screen between the LCD5 driver and my ears and the Stealth has more damping material. I guess it could be that.

Bass sounds more powerful and authoritative on the LCD5. Stealth sounds like music reproduction by an excellent transducer and LCD-5 sounds more like the instruments are next to my ears.

This proves to me beyond a doubt that you cannot compare headphones with Frequency response graphs alone (like some people try to do)

I like both but for my tastes I think the LCD-5 is more engaging.

Congrats to Dan as the build is exquisite and puts many other brands to shame. The pads feel like no expense has been spared at all. They are the Mclaren P1 of headphones.

Stealth is probably the best closed headphone in the world but as a TOTL home listening solution in a quiet environment I think I prefer the LCD-5.

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,232 of 5,994
This proves to me beyond a doubt that you cannot compare headphones with Frequency response graphs alone (like some people try to do)
Why, why, why these comments like a little needle to people who make measurements "part" of their evaluation. :joy_cat: :joy_cat::beerchug:Again, frequency response measurements may not show everything as they were measured on a fixture that models human ear and in reality physical features of hearing organs and skull will, for sure, effect the outcome (but will not vary wildly). But still, frequency response tells a lot of things when measured under controlled conditions, especially for comparisons. Anyway...

I think it is good for you that you found it out before selling your LCD-5. Stealth does more subbass than midbass. And yes, the dampened / anechoic room feeling of Stealth can sound strange for some. Someone sent this video few months ago:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #5,233 of 5,994
Why, why, why these comments like a little needle to people who make measurements "part" of their evaluation. :joy_cat: :joy_cat::beerchug:Again, frequency response measurements may not show everything as they were measured on a fixture that models human ear and in reality physical features of hearing organs and skull will, for sure, effect the outcome (but will not vary wildly). But still, frequency response tells a lot of things when measured under controlled conditions, especially for comparisons. Anyway...

I think it is good for you that you found it out before selling your LCD-5. Stealth does more subbass than midbass. And yes, the dampened / anechoic room feeling of Stealth can sound strange for some. Someone sent this video few months ago:

And yes, the dampened / anechoic room feeling of Stealth can sound strange for some

An interesting way to put it but can that ever sound natural or like live music which makes people want to get up and dance?

I love the measurements and the sites that promote them. They have added valuable information to the discussion. However I do find it funny when the Stealth was declared the best headphone in the world just because it stuck closely to the Harman curve. Also when a famous headphone/amp/dac reviewer talks about cranking it up to the point that his earlobes start vibrating then I really question his level of hearing after many years of reviewing audiophile products :D

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #5,234 of 5,994
An interesting way to put it but can that ever sound natural or like live music which makes people want to get up and dance?
The only time I danced to music was during my wedding and there was just no escape from it. :joy_cat: Except a few metal concerts, also no partying / clubbing as it is always a horribly loud environment. I listen to music just to listen to music and my expectation of how it should sound might be different from others.

Also considering acoustic room treatment is a widely accepted improvement for listening to music, I think Stealth has its place conveying a similar experience in a smaller package. This is also where Harman becomes a meaningful guideline.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back