Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #3,211 of 5,994
I prefer not to use EQ for a variety of reasons I won't go into here. Given that the Stealth is a highly tuned (not to mention, expensive) headphone, I wouldn't expect to have to use EQ with it. Furthermore, the percentage of listening time where I require a closed back headphone is small enough that I'm not going to jump through hoops to tailor the Stealth's sound, when the headphones I already own bring me a ton of musical pleasure out of the box. The Stealth has a very resolving midrange (and treble), but I don't believe it exceeds either of my Hifiman cans in those areas, particularly the estat.
You completely read it wrong. What have I said: "I wonder if any of those that didn't like the bass of Stealth invested the time to find out what is missing? I am not saying you should be using EQ daily for listening to music, but rather invest the time to figure out if you are able to fine tune it to the tonality you have in mind." Meaning, after investing thousands on HPs, attending shows, listening to so many of them, and writing pages and pages of negative and positive posts on them, does anyone that is not liking a particular HP, especially such a polarising one, try to invest the time to deterministicly try to "put their finger on" a particular problem, especially when this problem has been dragging for months? EQ is one tool here to check tonality mismatches, for example. "Trust my ears". No, I don't trust your ears or anyones's ears. I have no clue how loud you listen to, what your setup is, what music you listen to, for how long and how your ears' frequency response is. If someone is so wise to write pages and pages of comments, they should at least invest in a tool like EQ to find out what is missing in tonality, and learn to use it. That is what I am saying. Whether you personally use EQ or not, I don't care. And I am not targetting you with this.

I see a lot of responses to negative assessments in this thread that attempt to impugn the critic's credibility. The fact remains that several experienced listeners have noted a lack of engagement with the Stealth, notably due to its bass response. I'm not here to argue about whose perceptions are more "valid", as much as to provide feedback to DCA for possible tuning adjustments in a future revision.
Really? Show me some. And then compare it to any other Audeze or Abyss thread. Their troll level fans are like little school boy bullies. This is my view: "If you are so bold to upload a 'review', you should be competent enough to 'put your finger on' what you think is missing."

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #3,213 of 5,994
You completely read it wrong. What have I said: "I wonder if any of those that didn't like the bass of Stealth invested the time to find out what is missing? I am not saying you should be using EQ daily for listening to music, but rather invest the time to figure out if you are able to fine tune it to the tonality you have in mind." Meaning, after investing thousands on HPs, attending shows, listening to so many of them, and writing pages and pages of negative and positive posts on them, does anyone that is not liking a particular HP, especially such a polarising one, try to invest the time to deterministicly try to "put their finger on" a particular problem, especially when this problem has been dragging for months? EQ is one tool here to check tonality mismatches, for example. "Trust my ears". No, I don't trust your ears or anyones's ears. I have no clue how loud you listen to, what your setup is, what music you listen to, for how long and how your ears' frequency response is. If someone is so wise to write pages and pages of comments, they should at least invest in a tool like EQ to find out what is missing in tonality, and learn to use it. That is what I am saying. Whether you personally use EQ or not, I don't care. And I am not targetting you with this.

Really? Show me some. And then compare it to any other Audeze or Abyss thread. Their troll level fans are like little school boy bullies. That is my view: "If you are so bold to upload a 'review', you should be competent enough to 'put your finger on' what you think is missing."
You ask me to "show you some" while you yourself are essentially discounting the video critic's review because he didn't attempt to fix (or explain more deeply) that which he found unsatisfying. Speaking for myself, I tried the Stealth on a handful of different amps, including a speaker amp. I took off my glasses, tried moving the cups to different positions relative to my ears. I didn't apply EQ because: a) if it requires EQ for me to enjoy it, I'm not interested in it; and b) I don't particularly care exactly why technically it's not sounding involving to me. My theory is that the metamaterial is overdamping the bass, but I'm not equipped (nor is it my job) to determine that with certainty.

I'll bow out of the thread now, as I don't really have much more to contribute. Cheers.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #3,214 of 5,994
You ask me to "show you some" while you yourself are essentially discounting the video critic's review because he didn't attempt to fix (or explain more deeply) that which he found unsatisfying.
Again, not really the point I was trying to emphesize: Not trying to fix anything, but trying to figure out what is missing and the possible fix could have been. And with Stealth one would figure out something really interesting: Even when you add 8 dB on the bass, it does not lose the squeeky clean character. You may see the distortion issue as a joke, but it is not. In a natural enviroment, you have reflections that all arive with some phase and act like secondary sound sources. This is additional noise to the sound, which is natural and comes as normal to our ears. In a well treated room, you eliminate these which might come somewhat odd to our senses. This is exactly what Stealth is.

So even if you EQ Stealth, you might still miss the edgy midbass kick. Stealth really helped me realise something I was missing the whole time. It is now for me difficult to switch to something else, like the treble region issues become too distracting, especially when I hear it first time. Then I get used to it. I just saw another comment on YT that mentions a similar thing:

1641728646586.png

My theory is that the metamaterial is overdamping the bass, but I'm not equipped (nor is it my job) to determine that with certainty.
Not overdampening, but this is pretty much what I am saying. You hear that as wrong or missing, but in fact it is the real clean reproduction of the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #3,215 of 5,994
You ask me to "show you some" while you yourself are essentially discounting the video critic's review because he didn't attempt to fix (or explain more deeply) that which he found unsatisfying. Speaking for myself, I tried the Stealth on a handful of different amps, including a speaker amp. I took off my glasses, tried moving the cups to different positions relative to my ears. I didn't apply EQ because: a) if it requires EQ for me to enjoy it, I'm not interested in it; and b) I don't particularly care exactly why technically it's not sounding involving to me. My theory is that the metamaterial is overdamping the bass, but I'm not equipped (nor is it my job) to determine that with certainty.

I'll bow out of the thread now, as I don't really have much more to contribute. Cheers.
The fanboys are a little touchy please give them the benefit of doubt.
They don’t recognise or relate to anything else and that’s ok.
The world needs more of these.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #3,216 of 5,994
Again, not really the point I was trying to emphesize: Not trying to fix anything, but trying to figure out what is missing and the possible fix could have been. And with Stealth one would figure out something really interesting: Even when you add 8 dB on the bass, it does not lose the squeeky clean character. You may see the distortion issue as a joke, but it is not. In a natural enviroment, you have reflections that all arive with some phase and act like secondary sound sources. This is additional noise to the sound, which is natural and comes as normal to our ears. In a well treated room, you eliminate these which might come somewhat odd to our senses. This is exactly what Stealth is.

So even if you EQ Stealth, you might still miss the edgy midbass kick. Stealth really helped me realise something I was missing the whole time. It is now for me difficult to switch to something else, like the treble region issues become too distracting, especially when I hear it first time. Then I get used to it. I just saw another comment on YT that mentions a similar thing:

1641727114585.png
This goes back to what I suspect with Lachlan, and the drama I started over at the Dave thread, they don't have good psu quality that's why it sounds dry. There's still a lot of tweaking and mods to do to start hearing the true harmonics that's in the track. For them to call it dry means they aren't there yet. This is how to decode the impressions of people in canjam too. I've heard this dry underwhelming sound in my setup if I pared down the quality of my psu.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #3,217 of 5,994
This goes back to what I suspect with Lachlan, and the drama I started over at the Dave thread, they don't have good psu quality that's why it sounds dry. There's still a lot of tweaking and mods to do to start hearing the true harmonics that's in the track. For them to call it dry means they aren't there yet. This is how to decode the impressions of people in canjam too. I've heard this dry underwhelming sound in my setup if I pared down the quality of my psu.
Frankly I go a bit of cheapo when it comes to side upgrades, rather try to find something good out of the box. :) I guess I am a bit away from both sides of the discussion as I don't have the Dave or TT2. But in the end everyone has a different perception, and entitled to have own tweaking that makes him happy.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,218 of 5,994
Frankly I go a bit of cheapo when it comes to side upgrades, rather try to find something good out of the box. :) I guess I am a bit away from both sides of the discussion as I don't have the Dave or TT2. But in the end everyone has a different perception, and entitled to have own tweaking that makes him happy.
I get u. Thing is psu upgrades is what makes the difference. The out of the box ones that has great psus is 3-5k usd and up. I can get a 800usd dac + 300usd psu and beat that for example.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,219 of 5,994
I get u. Thing is psu upgrades is what makes the difference. The out of the box ones that has great psus is 3-5k usd and up. I can get a 800usd dac + 300usd psu and beat that for example.
That is possible. But I am also lazy. :) I invested once in such an expensive device, the HA200 as it has excellent amplifier with other tweaking features, like loudness compensation, EQ etc. I normally trust pro grade devices like Benchmark, RME etc.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #3,220 of 5,994
Don't hold your breath.
he's been asked for data on more than one occasion and failed to provide anything other than ramblings.
@Ciggavelli looks like someone is asking for another take down.

Cradle to Grave is a film soundtrack. Which means it follows standards. Which means it follows -24 LUFS. Which means one's speaker/HP is calibrated to 78dB nominal loudness when one is listening to this album. Which means Richter wants the sub bass to be felt, not heard. Which means the projectionist wont follow your request to crank up the volume, because... standards.

This is bg music. Which means it should be played quieter than expected. Sure you can crank it up, but kindly explain yourself how you can be correct to crank this up to prove your point? So while you're cranking a -30dB LUFS note to sound in the range of "-5dB LUFS" so you can hear it and having a -3dB LUFS note hit 120dB on your amp, you're also giving bad advice on the forums and attacking other people. So how am I the crazy one when I'm compliant to standards? I'll look forward to your science.

Someone here is also doing +12dB EQ on the bass on the Cradle to Grave... Doesn't make sense.

All this information is a Google search away btw.

you can block and ignore me, sure, but statistically the people who block me and later on start talking like me is higher than the people who block me and continue on with their ignorance.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #3,222 of 5,994
Not recommending that anyone do this, but has anyone removed the AMTS and listened to the stealth without them?

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #3,224 of 5,994
Love Passion for Sound, but he does what everyone else seems to want to do and thats compare the stealth to top tier open backs. I also have the Meze Elites and enjoy them just as much as the Stealth. I do wonder about his pairing though. I'm running the stealth through a holo may > soloist GT and love them when I need that closed back isolation. I tried them a bit through a A90 and I will admit the stealth was painful on some tracks and made me want to return the Stealth. While I dont think a holo may and soloist GT is a super clean setup, it definitely tamed the glare from the topping and I'm ok with the fact that I just might prefer some distortion. Ive always wanted to get a singxer as a backup amp incase its ever needed as some seem to much prefer it over the A90 for a mid level amp

For what its worth, the Stealth was running balanced on the may/soloist gt while a90 was unbalanced but whether that makes a difference I dont think it should.

The only other pricier closed backs ive tried was the ZMF Eikon (yeah its much cheaper than the Stealth) and the Stealth is way more enjoyable for me.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #3,225 of 5,994
Love Passion for Sound, but he does what everyone else seems to want to do and thats compare the stealth to top tier open backs. I also have the Meze Elites and enjoy them just as much as the Stealth. I do wonder about his pairing though. I'm running the stealth through a holo may > soloist GT and love them when I need that closed back isolation. I tried them a bit through a A90 and I will admit the stealth was painful on some tracks and made me want to return the Stealth. While I dont think a holo may and soloist GT is a super clean setup, it definitely tamed the glare from the topping and I'm ok with the fact that I just might prefer some distortion. Ive always wanted to get a singxer as a backup amp incase its ever needed as some seem to much prefer it over the A90 for a mid level amp

For what its worth, the Stealth was running balanced on the may/soloist gt while a90 was unbalanced but whether that makes a difference I dont think it should.

The only other pricier closed backs ive tried was the ZMF Eikon (yeah its much cheaper than the Stealth) and the Stealth is way more enjoyable for me.
Can you tell me more about how the Stealth and Elite compare. I have the Stealth and I've been looking at the Elites for times when I don't need a closed back and/or I want an alternative presentation (I'm also looking for an easier to drive option). I've read a lot about the Elites and how some people really love their presentation even if others don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back