Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #3,121 of 5,991
Not upset at all but I've seen such behavior directed at other people who are giving the right advice but getting đź’© at all too many times for years. And like I said, only the skeptics will lose in this game and be stuck in mid-fi land convinced with their own convictions.

I'll wait for others to respond to the cradle to grave question before I respond to you
Ok all good.
To be clear I'm not a sceptic. If I can see solid information showing results I will believe it. If I can't be shown it then the other person is just persuing an interesting alternative with limited base or merit.

So far I've seen no conclusive supporting evidence. Just claims.

Anyways: what's your amp/dac, and what % volume are you getting up to with cradle to the grave?

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #3,122 of 5,991
A&K Kann Alpha, Centrance M8V2, Xduoo XD-05, iFi MQ1S-2.5mm and former version with 4.4.
Volume level is with all not the issue .. while clipping is !!!

Amps with no clipping issue are Monolith Thx887, Less BX2+, M17(DC 12V enhanced mode only)..
Any distortion etc or are you just maxing the power outputs on the amps, and not driving stealth to it's maximum?

Interesting the 887 dosent clip. How many watts is that and what volume % or db?

I'll have to retest my hpa4 as it's the 888 and definately hits protection mode at high volume on that track.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #3,123 of 5,991
Ok all good.
To be clear I'm not a sceptic. If I can see solid information showing results I will believe it. If I can't be shown it then the other person is just persuing an interesting alternative with limited base or merit.

So far I've seen no conclusive supporting evidence. Just claims.

Anyways: what's your amp/dac, and what % volume are you getting up to with cradle to the grave?
Diablo stealth SE close to max and 4.4 stealth low gain 3 o clock less from max
Diablo susvara 4.4 1:30 less from max but (but I'm not happy with the cable, poor blacks)
Hugo 2 Stealth (deep blue/purple) and Susvara (light purple)
Soekris dac1321 + phonitor one susvara max vol (touch quieter than I wanted)
Soekris dac1321 + phonitor one stealth (2 o clock less than max)
Dacmagic 200m + stealth. Hard to tell the volume since it's a free wheeling pot. But the blacks could be better and lacks a bit of density vs the others but it's wide (since it lacks density)
Dac magic 200m phonitor one stealth, A bit more refined but slight of a noise hump on the mids
Dave stealth -7db to -4dB great
Dave Susvara -5 to -2dB lacks mid bass

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #3,124 of 5,991
Diablo stealth SE close to max and 4.4 stealth low gain 3 o clock less from max
Diablo susvara 4.4 1:30 less from max but (but I'm not happy with the cable, poor blacks)
Hugo 2 Stealth (deep blue/purple) and Susvara (light purple)
Soekris dac1321 + phonitor one susvara max vol (touch quieter than I wanted)
Soekris dac1321 + phonitor one stealth (2 o clock less than max)
Dacmagic 200m + stealth. Hard to tell the volume since it's a free wheeling pot. But the blacks could be better and lacks a bit of density vs the others but it's wide (since it lacks density)
Dac magic 200m phonitor one stealth, A bit more refined but slight of a noise hump on the mids
Dave stealth -7db to -4dB great
Dave Susvara -5 to -2dB lacks mid bass
Focus less on the quality of the audio eg the blacks and so on.
Listen only for DISTORTION or clipping.
Turn the volume pots till it clips or distorts or until you run out of volume/gain.

Your not testing sound quality in this case remember your testing what the dac/amp can handle when pushed to the absolute limits.

If I recall my hpa4 protection cut happened about 0.0db (ran fine at -3.0db but I lost the balls to go higher again)
As a sidenote the audio was perfect. Black as night, sharp as a pin etc. All the fancy audiophile words.

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #3,125 of 5,991
Ofc I'll mention if there's distortion and clipping but there isn't any.

For throughness, the only time I thought it was clipping, it was a steaming buffer issue because I kept rewinding to the challenging parts and it pooped on me. But trying it again at the same volume without being hard on the player, it's all fine.

What's your objective doing 0.0dB in the fist place? Does it go above 0.0dB?

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #3,126 of 5,991
Ofc I'll mention if there's distortion and clipping but there isn't any.

For throughness, the only time I thought it was clipping, it was a steaming buffer issue because I kept rewinding to the challenging parts and it pooped on me. But trying it again at the same volume without being hard on the player, it's all fine.

What's your objective doing 0.0dB in the fist place? Does it go above 0.0dB?
Don't try again at the same volume. Go LOUDER. As loud as you can.

The objective is to see if you can cause the dac or amp to distort or clip.
It's basically loading your gear up to it's maximum possible output.

Yes. The hpa4 goes up to +15db. So 0d.0db is aprox....88% if my math is correct.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #3,127 of 5,991
Don't try again at the same volume. Go LOUDER. As loud as you can.

The objective is to see if you can cause the dac or amp to distort or clip.
It's basically loading your gear up to it's maximum possible output.

Yes. The hpa4 goes up to +15db. So 0d.0db is aprox....88% if my math is correct.
What math?

+15db means the signal is 32x as loud as on 0db and also requires 32x as much Power.

Percentage wise if +15db is 100% the 0db is ~3%

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #3,128 of 5,991
Any distortion etc or are you just maxing the power outputs on the amps, and not driving stealth to it's maximum?

Interesting the 887 dosent clip. How many watts is that and what volume % or db?

I'll have to retest my hpa4 as it's the 888 and definately hits protection mode at high volume on that track.

The monolith THX 887 is 2x6W at 32ohms and set to max vol output .. (I don't know how much power is still available at 20 ohms) but with the DCA Stealth, depending on the fun I am looking for and the DSD I am playing, I can be between 45% to 75% of the volume level of the DAC ( SMSL SU-9 or Fiio M17 via 4.4mm in LO mode) ...
With the Heddphone, it can be a bit more than 5 to 10% over the Stealth... I think I never had the monolith 887 in protection mode with the HEDDphone One and the DCA Stealth.

With the THX 887 I have no distortion at any vol level ... while with a A&K Kann Alpha and 12V "available" .. I get monstrous distortion passed 120/150 volume level with all my headphones and IEM.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #3,129 of 5,991
"Don't try again at the same volume. Go LOUDER. As loud as you can."

Omg.... This is exactly why I'm unfazed by ppl who say I dunno what I'm talking about because it's my turn to say thats not how to bench something. This is exactly the same wonky tests like golden sound's mqa takedown and putting audio signals in the unsafe zones.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #3,130 of 5,991
What math?

+15db means the signal is 32x as loud as on 0db and also requires 32x as much Power.

Percentage wise if +15db is 100% the 0db is ~3%
Ah, going min/max volume percentage inna linear fashion eg volume control 0-100.

The scale is -112db to +15 =127 steps (256 at 0.5db steps)
100/127=0.787
0.787*112=88
88% right???

but no it wouldn't be the same if you go by db Im honestly still confused trying to figure out that conversion properly atm

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #3,131 of 5,991
"Don't try again at the same volume. Go LOUDER. As loud as you can."

Omg.... This is exactly why I'm unfazed by ppl who say I dunno what I'm talking about because it's my turn to say thats not how to bench something. This is exactly the same wonky ass tests like golden sound's mqa takedown and putting audio signals in the unsafe zones.
Not quite you are missing the point.
You aren't testing for quality sound. Your testing for limitations of your amp (as long as your headphones don't distort of course, but I doubt stealth will.

it's the equivalent of redlining the engine in your car And finding the rev limiter. If you can.
the purpose is to identify any potential power/current limitations with your gear when you load it up to orcsvove it's maxim potential. That's all. A basic max performance test. It's nothing fancy (apart from a beautiful track of course)

it also shows you how hard you can push your gear, so you don't over-step that limit in future.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,132 of 5,991
Not quite you are missing the point.
You aren't testing for quality sound. Your testing for limitations of your amp (as long as your headphones don't distort of course, but I doubt stealth will.

it's the equivalent of redlining the engine in your car And finding the rev limiter. If you can.
the purpose is to identify any potential power/current limitations with your gear when you load it up to orcsvove it's maxim potential. That's all. A basic max performance test. It's nothing fancy (apart from a beautiful track of course)

it also shows you how hard you can push your gear, so you don't over-step that limit in future.
Can you back up such a benchmark claim?

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #3,134 of 5,991
Can you back up such a benchmark claim?
Yes and no. How would you like it backed up? (Apart from all the DATA we have given you in the form of equipment, result, volume levels recorded at etc)

Could probably replicate it with a repeating frequency wave for scienticians I guess?

But this is more an informal test designed to stress the system.

If you don't like or agree with it don't do it. You can only gain a better personal understanding of your equipment by doing this. If you don't see a benefit to it, go back and play with your power conditioners some more. You won't loose any more or less time.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #3,135 of 5,991
Back up the claim on how this test proves anything? You already said it's informal, so is it something you just made up?

That's like saying....well how do you know the airbag of the car is gonna work unless you test it monthly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back