Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 18, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #2,476 of 5,994
I'll take a look.
I wonder if a cables "sound" could be replicated or reproduced with eqing or some other digital manipulation means?
I believe that others believe they hear a difference...... In my experience a cable is a cable and all sound the same so far. There is also no measurable difference in the popular Norne cables for instance. So IMO buy for function and asthetics. You will for sure hear a difference with EQ though.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,479 of 5,994
all the way. You may not prefer the LACK of signiture on Stealth, but its the most "Let the music do the Talking" set.
“Lack of signature”. What does that mean? The only reason to get a closed back set of cans IMHO is for isolation around others or in places where there is background noise. A closed back can never give the holographic sound stage of an open back. So with this trade off, I am willing to make a few compromises even for expensive TOTL cans that isolate. In this regard, the Stealth seems to be a good all around choice compared to everything else as long as boomy or impactful base response is not a priority. For my own taste and music preferences (Jazz, female vocals etc), I need clean detailed base, some limited sub bass for warmth, excellent layering and micro detail, extended shimmer of high notes without sibilants and as wide open and extended sound stage as possible for live recordings. I hope the Stealth wins out here.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,480 of 5,994
“Lack of signature”. What does that mean? The only reason to get a closed back set of cans IMHO is for isolation around others or in places where there is background noise. A closed back can never give the holographic sound stage of an open back. So with this trade off, I am willing to make a few compromises even for expensive TOTL cans that isolate. In this regard, the Stealth seems to be a good all around choice compared to everything else as long as boomy or impactful base response is not a priority. For my own taste and music preferences (Jazz, female vocals etc), I need clean detailed base, some limited sub bass for warmth, excellent layering and micro detail, extended shimmer of high notes without sibilants and as wide open and extended sound stage as possible for live recordings. I hope the Stealth wins out here.
From your description and my limited experience I'd suggest that stealth could very well suit you as a closed back.
Although it may lack slightly compared to opens, it excels at what it does.
Definitely worth a test drive if you haven't already :)

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #2,481 of 5,994
I'm sure he likely means imparted coloration.

The Stealth would make a good choice fitting your listening parameters.

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2,482 of 5,994
I'll stick to the stick vivo cable thanks.
Headphone sounds amazing as is so probably won't strive for that possible extra 1% through cables and power conditioning etc.
On my budget I've got to draw the line somewhere 😂
I would test everything with an open mind. Cables matter only to a certain degree if some minimum requirements are met. I find power conditioning the most important part after the hardware itself in my current situation. I also regularly travel with my Dac and use it in another home without any power conditioning and the difference is pretty drastic. YMMV

Nov 18, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #2,483 of 5,994
From your description and my limited experience I'd suggest that stealth could very well suit you as a closed back.
Although it may lack slightly compared to opens, it excels at what it does.
Definitely worth a test drive if you haven't already :)
A light bulb moment for me atleast, just realised it’s not closed. It’s ported at the top and recent auditions (thanks Jimmy) suggest they do leak a fair bit through the ports.
Does it leak as much as a open back? Probably not but something to remember before purchase.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #2,484 of 5,994
A light bulb moment for me atleast, just realised it’s not closed. It’s ported at the top and recent auditions (thanks Jimmy) suggest they do leak a fair bit through the ports.
Does it leak as much as a open back? Probably not but something to remember before purchase.
I don't think it is possible to implement proper bass without a port.

Nov 18, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #2,486 of 5,994
It is still closed. A port dosent make it open, it's a way of allowing air to move in and out of the chamber when the diaphragm/transducer moves. This means a tiny amount of sound, but it's mainly moving air as opposed to sound.

Definately dosent leak bugger all from stealth.

If you guys want a demo of aeon2 open sound leak vs stealth sound leak I can do that for you at a couple of different volumes. I've got a rode nt1 mic set up on a boom above my PC so can accurately reproduce comparable audio.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #2,487 of 5,994
It is still closed. A port dosent make it open, it's a way of allowing air to move in and out of the chamber when the diaphragm/transducer moves. This means a tiny amount of sound, but it's mainly moving air as opposed to sound.

Definately dosent leak bugger all from stealth.

If you guys want a demo of aeon2 open sound leak vs stealth sound leak I can do that for you at a couple of different volumes. I've got a rode nt1 mic set up on a boom above my PC so can accurately reproduce comparable audio.
Please do. It would be nice to know if at loud listing levels a person sitting next to you would be disturbed or distracted by the leakage.

Nov 19, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #2,488 of 5,994
Please do. It would be nice to know if at loud listing levels a person sitting next to you would be disturbed or distracted by the leakage.
Done. Rendering and will upload shortly.
It's a pretty basic test, I used a loud rock track for a "worst case" scenario.
Personally stealth passes in my opinion.
I did notice sound leakage via the ports but it really is minimal. If you put your ear up to them at highet volumes with the pads compressed together lightly, you will get more leakage through the sidewall of the pads than through the ports. The ports appear to me to exhaust and intake air, mainly push/pull from movement of the driver from bass and very little noise actually eminates from them.

Sidenote the tests are 50-100% volume single ended from magnius/modius and are what I would consider at or exceeding maximum safe listening volumes, and approach or exceed volumes the drivers will distort at.
Even brief listening at max volume will make your ears ring after a few minutes and gave me a headache.
I normally listen at a higher volume, around 50%

Nov 19, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #2,490 of 5,994
That's not the point, lol
Also I disagree, look at all the historic closed backs and their bass capabilities.

Anyway, seems that the point I'am trying to make is being lost here, so lets change the topic or conversation.
You just called a closed HP "not closed" because it has a port, so there is a point there. And can you please name a few "good bass HPs without any opening"? Also, the fact that an opening is not in shape of an obvious port does not make a closed back HP open. For example TH900 and Stellia are two obvious examples. Even R10 has a port.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-mdr-r10-owners-club.351179/post-6526521

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back