Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Nov 1, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #2,401 of 5,994
I’ve got someone 4 feet to my left and right. They’ll hear what I’m listening to?
Depends on how loud you listen. Did this test with a friend, he could hear what I was listening to, but his volume levels were lower so I could not hear what he was listening to.

I'm in my mid-20s and my hearing test came back perfect FWIW. But then again, I do tend to turn it up.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,402 of 5,994
I agree with this statement having both the Utopia and the Stealth. I would add that the Stealth is lacking in the low end without EQ where as the Utopia bangs like Joey Votto.
I think you must be experiencing poor seal! My friend and I both A/B'd Stealth with Utopia, and we both felt that Stealth has a significantly more present low-end especially in the sub-bass.

However, even a slight imperfection in seal causes that low end to evaporate. Despite the comfort, the Stealth is not an easy headphone to get a good seal on.

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #2,403 of 5,994
I think you must be experiencing poor seal! My friend and I both A/B'd Stealth with Utopia, and we both felt that Stealth has a significantly more present low-end especially in the sub-bass.

However, even a slight imperfection in seal causes that low end to evaporate. Despite the comfort, the Stealth is not an easy headphone to get a good seal on.
Why is there a problem getting a good seal? Pads too small, too large, not enough clamp force?

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #2,404 of 5,994
Why is there a problem getting a good seal? Pads too small, too large, not enough clamp force?
I don’t have a problem getting a good seal without my glasses on, with glasses bass is non-existent, without it’s just less than utopia by a good clip.

Ironically as was mentioned many posts ago when you push on the cups to get a good seal the response from DC to the crackling you get was “don’t push on them”, like a Dr when you say my knee hurts when I do this, and he responds “don’t do that”.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,405 of 5,994
Ironically as was mentioned many posts ago when you push on the cups to get a good seal the response from DC to the crackling you get was “don’t push on them”, like a Dr when you say my knee hurts when I do this, and he responds “don’t do that”.
Still sound advice tbh. Can't knock it!

I'd guess that the crackling would be akin to planar crinkling from air moving in and out of the vent. It's the driver wobbling about. Kinda like shaking a sheet of cellophane. But that's a totally uninformed and unscientific guess from a guy with no experience in planar manufacture whatsoever 😂

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #2,406 of 5,994
I don’t have a problem getting a good seal without my glasses on, with glasses bass is non-existent, without it’s just less than utopia by a good clip.

I am only interested in the Stealth as a closed back for isolation during the daytime on weekends. So far the choice is between ZMF Verite Closed, Stella and Stealth. I would trade off the bass if decent for larger sound stage. Wonder which sounds more like open back in this regard while retaining excellent micro dynamic detail?

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #2,407 of 5,994

I don't think you should push to get a good seal, and I don't understand how pushing could be of help for the seal. Pressing on the cups just causes pressure to the drivers and you hear that sound.

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #2,408 of 5,994
I don't think you should push to get a good seal, and I don't understand how pushing could be of help for the seal. Pressing on the cups just causes pressure to the drivers and you hear that sound.
Agreed. Just superglue em to your head permenantly 🤣

Just kidding, don't try this at home kids!

Nov 1, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,409 of 5,994
I am only interested in the Stealth as a closed back for isolation during the daytime on weekends. So far the choice is between ZMF Verite Closed, Stella and Stealth. I would trade off the bass if decent for larger sound stage. Wonder which sounds more like open back in this regard while retaining excellent micro dynamic detail?
The Stealth excel over the Stellia in soundstage to me, so much so that they present as an open back a lot of times - strength of this headphone for certain. Micro Details they are very close. I don’t have any experience with the ZMF cans ‘yet’, gorgeous looking and on the list though.

My ears and hearing are different than yours though so you’ll need to buy the Stealth and try them out.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,410 of 5,994
The Stealth excel over the Stellia in soundstage to me. Micro Details they are very close. I don’t have any experience with the ZMF cans ‘yet’, gorgeous looking and on the list though.

My ears and hearing are different than yours though so you’ll need to buy the Stealth and try them out.
I don't have much to compare to, but my focusrite Scarlett hooked up to rode nt1 mic picks up moderate volume from my aeon2 opens, but nothing at all from my stealth, even at higher volumes.

Can't test currently as the stealth is away for at least another week sorry

Nov 1, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,411 of 5,994
Well, this week is off to a great start. . .

Attachments

• IMG_20211101_111010.jpg
    IMG_20211101_111010.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #2,412 of 5,994
Stellia is WAY birhgter than VC or Stealth, VC has smaller soundstage, but much BOOMIER Bass, Stealth wins on Mids, Stealth wins on Bass Quality, VC wins on bass Quantity, but loses out on clarity and microdynamic detail/letting the notes END and get dark in the dark parts of music all the way up to treble, Stellia loses everything.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #2,413 of 5,994
Stellia is WAY birhgter than VC or Stealth, VC has smaller soundstage, but much BOOMIER Bass, Stealth wins on Mids, Stealth wins on Bass Quality, VC wins on bass Quantity, but loses out on clarity and microdynamic detail/letting the notes END and get dark in the dark parts of music all the way up to treble, Stellia loses everything.
So would you agree then that the best all around closed HP is the Stealth?

Nov 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #2,414 of 5,994
So would you agree then that the best all around closed HP is the Stealth?
all the way. You may not prefer the LACK of signiture on Stealth, but its the most "Let the music do the Talking" set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back