Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 18, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #2,236 of 5,971
If you want to squeeze more juice out of the TT2, run your headphones out of the rear XLR balanced outs for twice the power on tap. That's how I run my Stealth and Abyss (and previously Susvara). You will just need an adapter.

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #2,237 of 5,971
If you want to squeeze more juice out of the TT2, run your headphones out of the rear XLR balanced outs for twice the power on tap. That's how I run my Stealth and Abyss (and previously Susvara). You will just need an adapter.
A dual 3 pin XLR female to 4 pin XLR female? If I’m working with the 4 pin hp cable.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #2,238 of 5,971
A dual 3 pin XLR female to 4 pin XLR female? If I’m working with the 4 pin hp cable.
Yes, just make sure your adapter is wired correctly. Only pins 2 and 3 *or* pins 1 and 3 should be wired, or you will damage your TT2:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-773#post-16093314

And, for the record, while I use balanced output to drive speakers and have tried it with HE-6, I feel SE output is fine for HE-6. If I weren’t using the XLRs for for driving Omega SAMs, I’d probably leave the adapter connected for HE-6, Heddphone and even Ether2, because, why not? But the SE front HP outs seem to be plenty.

edit: Moon Audio made an adapter for me. I bought one from Amazon previously but it was not wired correctly:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-631#post-15672790

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,239 of 5,971
Thanks.

I have a THX 789 I could run off the RME. Anything above those will have to wait a bit after dropping coin on these and the Meze Elites. 🙂
I am running the ADI-2 DAC with EQ for about 5 hours now with Stealth, connected to a 3S3P 18650 12V battery pack. I forgot to turn off the display, so I lost there some battery, too. So if you want something to move around the house it might be a good idea.

20211019_162317.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,241 of 5,971
Just swapped my RME ADI2 for a chord Hugo TT2, and I have a question for others running Stealth on TT2: Do you use onboard amp or run TT2 as a preamp?

If you run it direct do you run any EQ?

Reason I’m asking is that im in an A/B zone going back and forth between the headphone out of TT2 and then my Wells audio Milo fed from XLR in rear of TT2.

I’m loving the more tube like sound out of Milo, but there is something superb about the way TT2 is SOOO clean. The pragmatist in me wants to have just ONE amp, and wondering if it’s possible for me to EQ the TT2 to give me closer to what the Milo is, or has Jeff really created some magic gooeyness in his magic box.

Anyways any input from fellow Chord heads appreciated.

I prefer to use TT2 headphone out over most sub $3K amps (after tried them in direct comparison of course). But in my case, it's with diana phi. Direct TT2 is so clean and fluid.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,242 of 5,971
I am running the ADI-2 DAC with EQ for about 5 hours now with Stealth, connected to a 3S3P 18650 12V battery pack. I forgot to turn off the display, so I lost there some battery, too. So if you want something to move around the house it might be a good idea.

Heads-up - the Qudelix 5K is a tiny fraction of the size, and can drive the Stealth to reasonable volumes out of the balanced output with the following settings enabled:
  • Volume - Option - Max Limit - 6.0 dB
  • DAC/Amp - Mode
    • Profile: Performance
    • Output Power: High
    • Output Mode Selection: Balanced (2.5mm)
Make sure to disable any EQ presets (they sap headroom) and turn the volume up on the 5K.

Battery life is around 4-5 hours with these settings.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #2,244 of 5,971
Heads-up - the Qudelix 5K is a tiny fraction of the size, and can drive the Stealth to reasonable volumes out of the balanced output with the following settings enabled:
  • Volume - Option - Max Limit - 6.0 dB
  • DAC/Amp - Mode
    • Profile: Performance
    • Output Power: High
    • Output Mode Selection: Balanced (2.5mm)
Make sure to disable any EQ presets (they sap headroom) and turn the volume up on the 5K.

Battery life is around 4-5 hours with these settings.

I use almost every night the Qudelix 5k .. with a Sennheiser Xelento or Sennheiser IE900, I didn't try yet with the DCA Stealth, but, I am almost sure, that it's impossible the Quedlix with such a limited output voltage of 4V and such small capacitors available with the 2.5mm connection, it won't be clipping every time instant power it is needed for bass and ultra bass...
It's very easy to try, as I can do with the 12V of the A&K Kann Alpha or the 10V of the Centrance M8 V2, which are terribly clipping with a simple track like Cradle to the Grave by Max Richter (even at a very reasonable volume level).
I will try this evening with the Qudelix .. I will surprise if it's not clipping even at a reasonable volume level.

Oct 21, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,245 of 5,971
I use almost every night the Qudelix 5k .. with a Sennheiser Xelento or Sennheiser IE900, I didn't try yet with the DCA Stealth, but, I am almost sure, that it's impossible the Quedlix with such a limited output voltage of 4V and such small capacitors available with the 2.5mm connection, it won't be clipping every time instant power it is needed for bass and ultra bass...
It's very easy to try, as I can do with the 12V of the A&K Kann Alpha or the 10V of the Centrance M8 V2, which are terribly clipping with a simple track like Cradle to the Grave by Max Richter (even at a very reasonable volume level).
I will try this evening with the Qudelix .. I will surprise if it's not clipping even at a reasonable volume level.
With the $37 Reiyin DA-Super it is fine at max volume (a bit higher than what I would normally use), unless I turn on its bass boost, then I get clipping at 00:52. Pretty rumbly before, though, haha.

Oct 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,246 of 5,971

With the settings in my post I was getting no clipping at all. Tested with pure bass tones in the 20 Hz range.

You have to use 2.5mm balanced out with high power settings and 6 dB gain.

Cradle to the Grave by Max Richter sounds fantastic. Deep, rumbling bass and clean output.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #2,247 of 5,971
With the settings in my post I was getting no clipping at all. Tested with pure bass tones in the 20 Hz range.

You have to use 2.5mm balanced out with high power settings and 6 dB gain.

Cradle to the Grave by Max Richter sounds fantastic. Deep, rumbling bass and clean output.
I just tried the DCA Stealth and compared with foobar on a Windows 10 PC + Smsl M500 + thx887 and a output to the Qudelix 5g in LDAC at 990kbps..
Qudelix with the Stealth at ldac 990kps, max BT volume and Qudelix Volume, set to 4V output, No EQ, + 6db gain ..... is far better than I was expecting.... though stage is more recessed and sub bass not as low as I get with the THX 887 amp ...

But .. still with the same Max Richter "Hostiles" album, "Where We Belong" track from 2'10 with a full Orchestra playing all together, the Qudelix offers something nearer of a giant "marmalade" than a real Orchestra with detailed instruments catchable, like the THX887 can offer with the DCA Stealth...
So even if I still enjoy my little Qudelix, as I use it every night when going to bed, I really think the DCA Stealth needs something more to be at his best ... and I actually I don't know the real limit of the DCA Stealth (I hope I will be able to try some Woo or Viva tube Amps one day).

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #2,248 of 5,971
I actually I don't know the real limit of the DCA Stealth.
I think that's a general problem. There are so many combinations of amps, DACs, cables, noise suppressors and power conditioners that probably nobody will ever hear any speaker or headphone at its best, even your very own personal notion of "best".

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #2,249 of 5,971
Well, holy cow. Just got mine after patiently waiting for a few weeks.

Quick takes after a couple hours:
  • These headphones are dark magic. Voodoo. Or something. I can’t get past the fact they are closed backs and how open they sound.
  • Very similar to the Noire (which I really like) in look and feel. Band is more premium. I don’t care about the red details. I don’t have a third eye so I don’t see the band while wearing them.
  • They are indeed comfortable and get out of the way.
  • Wide soundstage aside, they do sound better than the noire. There’s more precision and the details come out cleaner.
  • Haven’t needed to EQ them. My reference rig and my tube rig like these headphones just as they are.
  • Non-fatiguing for me. Goldilocks. Everything is just right.

I’ll keep evaluating them and play with them. But they may very well be closed back endgame for me.

1634881000132.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #2,250 of 5,971
Well, holy cow. Just got mine after patiently waiting for a few weeks.

Quick takes after a couple hours:
  • These headphones are dark magic. Voodoo. Or something. I can’t get past the fact they are closed backs and how open they sound.
  • Very similar to the Noire (which I really like) in look and feel. Band is more premium. I don’t care about the red details. I don’t have a third eye so I don’t see the band while wearing them.
  • They are indeed comfortable and get out of the way.
  • Wide soundstage aside, they do sound better than the noire. There’s more precision and the details come out cleaner.
  • Haven’t needed to EQ them. My reference rig and my tube rig sound like this headphones as they are.
  • Non-fatiguing for me. Goldilocks. Everything is just right.

I’ll keep evaluating them and play with them. But they may very well be closed back endgame for me.

Congrats! Glad to read that you enjoy them.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order yours from?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back