Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #1,591 of 5,974
I hear the LCD-5 is coming out any day. Could be rumor- but the LCD-4 thread thinks it is real.

Stealth, Elite, LCD-5----------- three flagship level headphones released within a month or so- that's a lot of new toys to consider...
And Stax, new Raal headphone, Abyss Diana Closed, and a rumored Utopia 2

I’m pretty sure it is because many more people are working from home due to the pandemic. Thus, the listen to headphones much more and are more easily able to justify the cost of a new and expensive TOTL pair of headphones.

The headphone companies are taking advantage

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #1,593 of 5,974
Raal? wow. If they fix the bass problem- it's over... for everyone else.
I think it’s unlikely. Though it’ll use more traditional earpad design, so we can hope. I doubt it though 🤷‍♂️

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,594 of 5,974
I'm curious, could people listen to the track "Native Sense" by Chick Corea and Gary Burton and share some thoughts on how it sounds on the Stealth? It's one of my reference tracks because I've found the vibraphone very hard to sound "right".

Links:
Tidal
Qobuz
Amazon Prime Music
Apple Music

Cheers!

So, the issue I've had with that track before is the very top-end of the vibraphone can sound _aggressively_ sibilant on some chains/hps. In particular, the second song on that album, "Love Castle", between 0:45 and 01:08 has some sections of vibes that I really like on the Raal's, but have heard as ear-piercing on other setups.
To me, the vibraphone sounds pretty good, more so than the piano. I do notice the areas that have the potential for problems, but to me it sounds like the Stealth is just accurately reproducing what was likely resonant during the recording, and a little distortion from the recording itself, without adding any by itself. In other words I'm not wincing, it's still very listenable, seemingly without hiding the issues or accentuating them.

Yggdrasil LiM > Eclipse 8 XLR > Gustard H20 + SparkoS SS3602 > Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver 4-pin XLR > Stealth

Some more of my reference albums you might like:

- At the Village Gate - Herbie Mann
Nice, I listened to that one in one go.

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,595 of 5,974
Hi, can you name what to expect from jumping from Aeons2 into Stealth? Thanks
It's been a while since I had the A2O, but those were a completely different tuning. They were exaggerated in certain areas to be fun sounding and they really were fun to listen to. These are way more neutral and reference sounding. I never had the A2C or the Noir, so I can't offer any comparisons there. I'd imagine those are much more comparable to the Stealths, being closed back as well.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,596 of 5,974
And Stax, new Raal headphone, Abyss Diana Closed, and a rumored Utopia 2
That joke called Diana... If they would sell it in a toy store, I would believe that it is a toy.

Audeze's luck is that Solitaire P isn't as known or widespread as LCDs. Lighter, much better tonality, easier to drive. Let's see if Audeze will try to fix these, or just do "something" and tell the people to deal with it like they did with the 4.

If there is no easier to drive Susvara 2, I am fine with HEKse and Stealth duo, I guess.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #1,597 of 5,974
That joke called Diana... If they would sell it in a toy store, I would believe that it is a toy.

Audeze's luck is that Solitaire P isn't as known or widespread as LCDs. Lighter, much better tonality, easier to drive. Let's see if Audeze will try to fix these, or just do "something" and tell the people to deal with it like they did with the 4.

If there is no easier to drive Susvara 2, I am fine with HEKse and Stealth duo, I guess.
I bought the Ps, waited 6 months for them to arrive, they finally come, I liked them for like 1 week, couldn’t get past the sub-bass issue with hip hop, sold em at a loss. I still have the LCD-4 though 🤷‍♂️

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #1,598 of 5,974
I bought the Ps, waited 6 months for them to arrive, they finally come, I liked them for like 1 week, couldn’t get past the sub-bass issue with hip hop, sold em at a loss. I still have the LCD-4 though 🤷‍♂️
If you are listening to not-so-midrange-busy music you might as well be OK with the LCD4 - especially if you can get passed the weight, which is for me a no go. Solitaire P is again a quite balanced sounding HP with just a slight hint on the bass.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #1,599 of 5,974
If you are listening to not-so-midrange-busy music you might as well be OK with the LCD4 - especially if you can get passed the weight, which is for me a no go. Solitaire P is again a quite balanced sounding HP with just a slight hint on the bass.
I have the LCD-4 for one reason, electric guitars. Distorted guitars sound so, so good on the LCD-4s. No other headphones I’ve had are that good with electric guitars. I prefer the TCs, Susvaras and SR1as over the LCD-4s in general, but keep them because they do electric guitars the best, and for bluesy rock and stoner rock it’s amazing :L3000:

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #1,600 of 5,974

Do you mean there is no way to find a (trans)portable amp (like a LESS BX2+/Centrance Ampersand) or DAP (maybe a FIIO M17) to drive a Susvara ? Are they worse than the HEDDphone to drive ?

I am afraid now the Stealth won't be able to replace at the same time a closed Headphone and some specific open headphone (HEKse/Susvara/Heddphone/..)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #1,601 of 5,974
Do you mean there is no way to find a (trans)portable amp (like a LESS BX2+/Centrance Ampersand) or DAP (maybe a FIIO M17) to drive a Susvara ? Are they worse than the HEDDphone to drive ?

I am afraid now the Stealth won't be able to replace at the same time a closed Headphone and some specific open headphone (HEKse/Susvara/Heddphone/..)
I don't think it is really a good match, a Susvara and a portable independent of how powerful it is. Instead I would go with HEKse which is already very very good, very easy to drive, very comfortable, sounds excellent and is light weight. Squeezing out that extra bit out of Susvara anyway needs a good, very powerful TOTL equipment. That is, for open back. For closed back I would go with Stealth.

I have the LCD-4 for one reason, electric guitars. Distorted guitars sound so, so good on the LCD-4s. No other headphones I’ve had are that good with electric guitars. I prefer the TCs, Susvaras and SR1as over the LCD-4s in general, but keep them because they do electric guitars the best, and for bluesy rock and stoner rock it’s amazing :L3000:
I can imagine why you like them, especially heavy palm muted guitars should sound good with LCD-4. But I would rather take the Susvara or Stealth, calm that upper mids and treble down with EQ, and there you go! The distorted guitar recordings also vary a lot, like there is the old Suffocation recordings, if you know them, then there is Death / SoP. Then there is Necrophagist / Epitaph. All quite different recordings with different sounding guitars.

Anyway, good that you are enjoying them.

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,604 of 5,974
I absolutely love the look and colors of the Stealth.
Currently in the running:
Stealth
LCD5
Susvara
1266 TC

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #1,605 of 5,974

spot on about the sol p which to me is what an improved lcd-4 would be....in fact my guess is the 5 wont be as good as the P but we will see

Users who are viewing this thread

Back