Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #1,576 of 5,991
Has anyone used the Stealth with a smaller desktop amp or transportable amp like a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 or Hugo 2? I'd like to use the Stealth at work but will be carrying the equipment between offices so a large desktop unit is a problem. Thanks.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,578 of 5,991
Yes, detail retrieval and textures, especially from the midrange are fantastic and may be better than both.
Good to hear. This report does NOT match the headphones.com report that the Stealth lags behind the flagships in detail even though in separation it is equal. No problem with disagreements- I'm just looking for more opinions.

Look, I had a LCD-4 for an entire year and compared it direct to the TC and Susvara many many times and to my ears the LCD-4 was clearly superior in transparency and detail over the other two- although not by a lot. Pretty much no one else agrees to this- but that is what my ears heard after multiple comparisons- so there is room for differing opinions.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,579 of 5,991
Good to hear. This report does NOT match the headphones.com report that the Stealth lags behind the flagships in detail even though in separation it is equal. No problem with disagreements- I'm just looking for more opinions.

Look, I had a LCD-4 for an entire year and compared it direct to the TC and Susvara many many times and to my ears the LCD-4 was clearly superior in transparency and detail over the other two- although not by a lot. Pretty much no one else agrees to this- but that is what my ears heard after multiple comparisons- so there is room for differing opinions.
Definitely sounds below the very top %. Stealth is more comparable in ultimate technicality or ultimate detail retrieval of either LCD-4/VC.

If VC was impressive in presenting a large 3D sound presentation with extended staging for a closed, the Stealth is likely equally impressive in presenting image clarity and resolution for a closed back. Yes, IMO qualifiers need apply.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,580 of 5,991
Definitely sounds below the very top %. Stealth is more comparable in ultimate technicality or ultimate detail retrieval of either LCD-4/VC.

If VC was impressive in presenting a large 3D sound presentation with extended staging for a closed, the Stealth is likely equally impressive in presenting image clarity and resolution for a closed back. Yes, IMO qualifiers need apply.
Pretty subjective. I specifically said midrange details are better on the Stealth. I know that's what I'm hearing compared to Abyss or Susvara. Separation and soundstage are below the best open backs, obviously, but not much.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #1,581 of 5,991

Do you think your perception of Stealth being below top flagships in detail is due to the lack of treble "shimmer"?
Exaggerated treble often is translated into more detail even though it is not.

I think that is why so many don't find the LCD-4 as detailed as the TC or Susvara- as the treble is so dipped; but to my ears- the detail is there- and even more on the LCD-4.

Sep 18, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,582 of 5,991
Do you think your perception of Stealth being below top flagships in detail is due to the lack of treble "shimmer"?

I think that is why so many don't find the LCD-4 as detailed as the TC or Susvara- as the treble is so dipped; but to my ears- the detail is there- and even more on the LCD-4.
I believe that will be used as its defense. I regard the SR-Omega a resolution monster which is very relaxed sounding, so nope, don't buy it.

We're all using different sources, amplifiers, have varied acuity so naturally won't agree to all things.

The LCD-4 is a case of being just behind and tiering performance becomes a slight bit convoluted. It's a tier 2 IME.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,583 of 5,991
Pretty subjective. I specifically said midrange details are better on the Stealth. I know that's what I'm hearing compared to Abyss or Susvara. Separation and soundstage are below the best open backs, obviously, but not much.
Strongly arguable for it. Not regarding the Susvara which is quite clearly ahead of the both the TC/Stealth.

It's unfair, but when you pair the TC to a more neutral responding tube amplifier you flesh out the mids and retain great bass control and treble extension.

So I am generally evaluating all gear from a single reference point that is more even in balance.
I don't find the TC nor Stealth a great midrange centric type of phone, LCD-4, yes, VC arguably.

Susvara midrange with my Primavera rivaled the heck out of the 009 and T2 which I didn't think was too likely/possible.
So full chain scalability is of some contextual consequence.

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,584 of 5,991
Has anyone used the Stealth with a smaller desktop amp or transportable amp like a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 or Hugo 2? I'd like to use the Stealth at work but will be carrying the equipment between offices so a large desktop unit is a problem. Thanks.

I tested it on my Gilmore Lite Mk2 and it was a good pairing, but I listen at relatively low volumes, you might run out of power if you like to listen very loud.

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,585 of 5,991

LCD-4 doesn't have just the treble shaved off, but the complete upper mids, too. In addition, there is a huge dip there. I cannot understand how they can sell a headphone with this tuning with this price tag. Midrange detail is the balance between the lower mids / upper bass to upper mids. In that sense, Stealth is much more explicit than LCD-4. But not bright, just well balanced. What LCD4 has is the shimmer / air. What you can percieve there depends of course on your hearing and experience, but that is a scientific fact. Stealth is very diferent from that, as the upper midrange / lower treble has more energy, which will be very forward. It could be that some people people find the bass weak, because they might adjust the volume according to the mids (to which they are more sensitive) and then the bass is not there. Especially for a metal listener that might be the case.

1631999226135.png

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #1,586 of 5,991
My exact setup. Have some Wywires platinum cables and diamond XLR interconnects heading my way to take it up a notch.
Just wait until you get them. It's gonna take the performance up a notch for sure. Just got the WyWirres Diamond USB. It was clear performance upgrade over the AQ Diamond.

Sep 18, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,587 of 5,991

I've tried a bunch of different high end closed back headphones, and never kept any because my Noble Katana ciems always seem more detailed (I now have the promission x, too). Ether C Flow, Stellia, Verite closed, ath-l5000, 9200….tried them all

ath l5000 was close, but the low end was nonexistent. Denon 9200 actually impressed me the most, but it could get a little too bright in the top end

I guess I need to see if audio46 will have a demo stealth.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #1,588 of 5,991
I've tried a bunch of different high end closed back headphones, and never kept any because my Noble Katana ciems always seem more detailed (I now have the promission x, too). Ether C Flow, Stellia, Verite closed, ath-l5000, 9200….tried them all

ath l5000 was close, but the low end was nonexistent. Denon 9200 actually impressed me the most, but it could get a little too bright in the top end

I guess I need to see if audio46 will have a demo stealth.

They have a demo Stealth. I asked them and they confirmed it.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,589 of 5,991
I hear the LCD-5 is coming out any day. Could be rumor- but the LCD-4 thread thinks it is real.

Stealth, Elite, LCD-5----------- three flagship level headphones released within a month or so- that's a lot of new toys to consider...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back