Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 25, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #571 of 5,994
Pete....I've always just used the origin of the two words myself.

Micro = small (the ability to resolve small voltage and ultimately volume swings)
Macro = large (the ability to resolve large voltage and volume swings)

I really think of it all as just dynamics in general. Dynamics as in how the volume of sound changes over a certain length of time.....and how it is portrayed by the component in question. If a specific component is particularly adept at this, it helps to give one the illusion of listening to the real thing. The antithesis of dynamics (both micro and micro), would be compression...which I'm sure we've all heard in various components from time to time.

My $.02
Does the lack of dynamics result in smooth sound due to the lack of volume/sound changes?

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #572 of 5,994

Micro = small (the ability to resolve small voltage and ultimately volume swings)

I really think of it all as just dynamics in general. Dynamics as in how the volume of sound changes over a certain length of time.....and how it is portrayed by the component in question. If a specific component is particularly adept at this, it helps to give one the illusion of listening to the real thing. The antithesis of dynamics (both micro and micro), would be compression...which I'm sure we've all heard in various components from time to time.

My $.02
200 (1).gif

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #574 of 5,994
Does the lack of dynamics result in smooth sound due to the lack of volume/sound changes?
I believe so. I think the result would be a far too laid-back, overly subdued sound. Fine for background music while you're doing other tasks, but in my opinion, not suited to critical listening if getting to the heart of the recording is what you're after. Some very rare components can show you excellent soundstaging in all the directions....front/back/height/left/right....and appear at first listen to be of a relaxed, laid back signature, and still get the dynamics right when called upon. This is the holy grail, IMHO.

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #576 of 5,994

My $.02
It seems like if this was the mechanism for what makes a headphone "dynamic" then it would be pretty easy to measure, no? If I had the equipment to do some testing I would try but I do not. So I guess I'll just have to continue using my ears...

Since I cannot test in any scientific way, I cannot disprove it. So I cannot say it is not the mechanism but without evidence I have a hard time taking it as gospel.

Edit: This is not to say that I don't think some headphones have that more "dynamic" and engaging quality to them. Just not sure what the mechanism is for this. Way too many factors between the bits and my neurochemistry to nail it down.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #577 of 5,994
I believe so. I think the result would be a far too laid-back, overly subdued sound. Fine for background music while you're doing other tasks, but in my opinion, not suited to critical listening if getting to the heart of the recording is what you're after. Some very rare components can show you excellent soundstaging in all the directions....front/back/height/left/right....and appear at first listen to be of a relaxed, laid back signature, and still get the dynamics right when called upon. This is the holy grail, IMHO.
Hmmm, sounds like a Susvara. :relaxed:

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #579 of 5,994
I would have thought that if you can follow what's going on in good detail during a quiet passage and then get startled by the sudden onset of a very loud part, which is also reproduced cleanly with nuance, you have both micro-dynamics and macro-dynamics covered. For a headphone to have "no" macro-dynamics, the quiet and loud section would have to have the same volume, strictly speaking. Taking it less literally, maybe it would mean that you're absolutely not startled when there's a sudden increase in loudness, say a big bang or some bass drops. Marian Hill might be good to test the letter, lots of snappy, abrupt, sudden sounds. I would expect that to sound muddy, weak and muffled with a headphone lacking in dynamics, since it's too quick of a change for it to keep up.

But, uhm, that does not in the least sound like what I'm used to from the Ether Flow and Ether C Flow. Not to so say it couldn't be better, possibly, but I absolutely don't understand what he means by no macro-dynamics. In fact, I had to get used to listening at a lower volume after getting the Ether Flow because it did have an exciting intensity without cranking it. Previous headphones required more volume - but even that I wouldn't call "no" macro-dynamics.

I would have thought that great impulse response to also indicate great macro-dynamics, so to hear this about the Stealth is even more surprising.

But that illustrates one of the issues with reviews and this hobby in general, we never all met, perceived an acoustic phenomenon at the same time and agreed on a name. Rather we have possibly differing intuitions about what a term means (say, musical, dry, forward, ...) if any (Plankton? What? Luckily I read a definition later.) and can really talk past each other.

So since what he's saying makes no sense to me at all, it has no impact on my purchasing decision. His palpable sense of confusion about something happening in the room instead of being reproduced by a device on his head is however very exciting.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #580 of 5,994
First impressions. I think he likes it………. a lot. :wink:

@mrspeakers
I think we need to talk about possibility of trading-in half a dozen of my headphones, few amps/dacs and couple of my neighbor’s cats for Stealths. :wink:

Did they buy it or were they given it for review?

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #581 of 5,994
If this is correct, than seemingly even Dan Clark admits that his headphones are not super dynamic as one of their sonic claims is regarding how very smooth these headphones sound. If smoothness is the opposite of dynamic- well than we have a fit. Unless- this is a holy grail product...

I'm just trying to put pieces of a puzzle together here rather than to make judgements on good or bad.......

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #582 of 5,994
Did they buy it or were they given it for review?

Andrew works for “Headphones.com”. They provided that sample for review.
But it seems that he does/reviews as he pleases. He's alright in my book.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #583 of 5,994
I had to get used to listening at a lower volume after getting the Ether Flow because it did have an exciting intensity without cranking it. Previous headphones required more volume - but even that I wouldn't call "no" macro-dynamics.
As I re-read this, and after watching an explanation of compression*, I'm starting to think that is what he means. He's also using macro contrast as a synonym, maybe he thinks it shouldn't sound as intense when quiet? Huh.

Aug 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #585 of 5,994
What would be headphones that people consider "dynamic"? And what are reference tracks to check for this property?
I never really understood this descriptor. When I listen to dynamic music with my Aeon RT it sounds dynamic. When I listen to music that is not dynamic it does not sound dynamic.
I would listen to Respighi Pines of Rome, the end of In the Catacomb or The Wolf That Lives In Lindsey from Joni Mitchell’s Mingus album. The plucks are incredibly dynamic. FWIW, I don’t see that E2 or A2C are any less dynamic that Focal Elex with those tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back