Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #227 of 5,994
@mrspeakers - Can you describe what makes the metamaterial superior for this application? When I read about metamaterials they discuss electromagnetic radiation, but not acoustics. Also, unless it is proprietary, do you 3D print the metamaterial?

I summarize in the video... But it's an exciting area and I think good things will come of it for the community.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #228 of 5,994
Yes, I watched that. My question is more about what characteristics metamaterials have that makes them ideal for this application. If you read about them, you will see that their claim to fame is related to magnetics, not acoustics. Plastic could be formed into the same shapes using high quality 3D printing. So, what makes metamaterial special for acoustics or for this application?

In the same video, Dan says he is getting a global patent on the idea, so I don't think making our own is in the cards. Plus, I think designing one that is effective would require a very accurate measurement system, a lot of knowledge, and a lot of time. It would be cool if Dan released ones for his other headphones (Ether 2 please) and even other brands. I've thought for years that he should offer his headbands as an aftermarket upgrade for other brands, like Dekoni does with earpads.
I see, I first heard about them in the context of trying to make things invisible / undetectable for, say, military purposes. I think metamaterials is a fairly generic concept for anything that behaves like waves, perhaps even broader (definitely not an expert).
Then later I heard about it when KEF used it in the LS50 Meta.
It's not about the material (say, plastic), but rather its shape and how that interacts with anything that radiates (radar, visible light, pressure waves). Heh, maybe it'll be used with water to make submarines quieter or stealthier with sonar, who knows.

By having various tubes/channels (resonators) of various lengths, some closed, some open, you can absorb an adjustable amount of acoustic energy at specific frequencies and thus shape the frequency response without using inductors or capacitor like in a crossover, which have side effects like phase changes / delays and distortion. Though no doubt metamaterials have their own issues.

Sorry if that was already clear to you, feel free to ignore. And take it with a grain of salt, that's just the gist I got.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #229 of 5,994
Yes, I watched that. My question is more about what characteristics metamaterials have that makes them ideal for this application. If you read about them, you will see that their claim to fame is related to magnetics, not acoustics. Plastic could be formed into the same shapes using high quality 3D printing. So, what makes metamaterial special for acoustics or for this application?

In the same video, Dan says he is getting a global patent on the idea, so I don't think making our own is in the cards. Plus, I think designing one that is effective would require a very accurate measurement system, a lot of knowledge, and a lot of time. It would be cool if Dan released ones for his other headphones (Ether 2 please) and even other brands. I've thought for years that he should offer his headbands as an aftermarket upgrade for other brands, like Dekoni does with earpads.
A patent wouldn't preclude a hobbyist from making their own insert. They just wouldn't be able to market it freely. As you point out, the amount of knowledge and resources needed to do so means no one is likely to attempt it anyway.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #230 of 5,994
I want...

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #231 of 5,994
@mrspeakers Would you be able to give us some clarity on the expected lifespan of the self adjusting head strap? Is it user replaceable? Any chance one will be offered without the branding / red stitching?

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #234 of 5,994
@mrspeakers Would you be able to give us some clarity on the expected lifespan of the self adjusting head strap? Is it user replaceable? Any chance one will be offered without the branding / red stitching?

There's a high quality elastomer inside, just don't leave the headphone in a baking hot car for long periods or stick it in the dryer and it should last many years. It's also user-replaceable, 2 screws.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #235 of 5,994
There's a high quality elastomer inside, just don't leave the headphone in a baking hot car for long periods or stick it in the dryer and it should last many years. It's also user-replaceable, 2 screws.
Thanks for clarifying! I'll take that as a "no" for my last question, haha.

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #236 of 5,994
So I'm supposed to air dry the Stealth after washing? Seems like that would take longer than the dryer, bummer... :smirk:

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #237 of 5,994
@mrspeakers Any chance one will be offered without the branding / red stitching?
It's required for the upcoming Schitt Helth combo of Hel + Stealth.

Hel2-front-1920.jpg

Sorry, I'll see myself out.

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #238 of 5,994
Is it just me or is this basically an aeon closed with a plastic frame around the hull and a new headband? ... apart from the driver and damping stuff of course.

I always found my Ether C barely competing with some of the better open headphones around 300$ like a HD600 or a T90.

Still curious how this one keeps up for 4000$ compared to a ZMF Verite C for example. Anybody compared them side to side already?

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #239 of 5,994
Is it just me or is this basically an aeon closed with a plastic frame around the hull and a new headband? ... apart from the driver and damping stuff of course.

Well... that driver and the metamaterial are not small things, by any means, and it shows in the measurements, and reportedly in the listening as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back