Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Oct 16, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2,221 of 5,994
Oh my days, it took me a while to acclimate to the clean signature of the Stealth and its fantastic mids. I just put on my Abyss TCs and laughed when I thought it had "too much" bass. :)

My brain needs some time to adjust for sure, but it's an eye opener for me on how much listening to a specific signature for a while might change your hearing preferences.

Still, against my other headphones, the Stealth shines with its separation, spatial effects and imaging. The tonality of the instruments is very accurate & pleasing to my ears. Live music sounds fantastic too!
I try to listen to only one HP at a time and start fresh with a new HP on a different day...it takes my brain too long to adjust and enjoy the different presentation

Oct 16, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #2,222 of 5,994
I try to listen to only one HP at a time and start fresh with a new HP on a different day...it takes my brain too long to adjust and enjoy the different presentation
I do the same, but simply because I'm too lazy to switch during a session

Oct 17, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #2,225 of 5,994
Has anyone heard both the Stealth and the Shure SRH940? I have the latter which is considered very neutral, flat and has low distortion. I'm considering an upgrade but I'm not sure how big the difference is. Additionally, I can drive the Shure with an E1DA dongle properly, and I'd have to invest in a desktop setup for the Stealth.

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #2,226 of 5,994
WOW !!!! :L3000::L3000::L3000:
With some help of mrspeakers, I can say DCA fixed my issue with the 4.4mm cable, it has been solved within a week, as I got this morning a brand new 4.4mm Vivo super premium cable.
I would say great job from the DCA Team !!!! I don't miss any more my usually excellent German "Deutsch Qualität" (HEDD, Ultrasone, Beyerdynamics and Sennheiser). We get the same level of services from US too.

I could enjoy the Stealth for less than a week, but it really seems, it's the first time of my life a Headphone is so universal without needing real EQ to feat my taste..
I would say, it will probably be my master reference for my future equalization parameters of HEDDphone One, Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas, Sennheiser IE900 and Beyerdynamics Xelento.
I just hope now, I will be able to make the Stealth more "transportable" with a Fiio M17 than my actual Kann Alpha + Less BX2+ (which sound excellent but too bulky, too low battery life and not comfortable to carry with all cables and power bank to extend battery life to 8h).

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #2,227 of 5,994
Any other stealth owners able to check something for me?

I've got about 1-2 degrees of play in the gimbal/cup connection on one side (mabey 2mm of movement if measured at the top of the earcup.
The other side is fine
I have a feeling it's "within tolerance" but just wanted to check with other owners

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,228 of 5,994
Any other stealth owners able to check something for me?

I've got about 1-2 degrees of play in the gimbal/cup connection on one side (mabey 2mm of movement if measured at the top of the earcup.
The other side is fine
I have a feeling it's "within tolerance" but just wanted to check with other owners
For me both are without any space. Maybe you can check with DCA and ask for their opinion.

Oct 18, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #2,230 of 5,994
Just swapped my RME ADI2 for a chord Hugo TT2, and I have a question for others running Stealth on TT2: Do you use onboard amp or run TT2 as a preamp?

If you run it direct do you run any EQ?

Reason I’m asking is that im in an A/B zone going back and forth between the headphone out of TT2 and then my Wells audio Milo fed from XLR in rear of TT2.

I’m loving the more tube like sound out of Milo, but there is something superb about the way TT2 is SOOO clean. The pragmatist in me wants to have just ONE amp, and wondering if it’s possible for me to EQ the TT2 to give me closer to what the Milo is, or has Jeff really created some magic gooeyness in his magic box.

Anyways any input from fellow Chord heads appreciated.

Attachments

• E9A0E930-4A79-4EF5-B299-FAE1E3CA1C83.jpeg
    E9A0E930-4A79-4EF5-B299-FAE1E3CA1C83.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 18, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,231 of 5,994
Just swapped my RME ADI2 for a chord Hugo TT2, and I have a question for others running Stealth on TT2: Do you use onboard amp or run TT2 as a preamp?

Reason I’m asking is that im in an A/B zone going back and forth between the headphone out of TT2 and then my Wells audio Milo fed from XLR in rear of TT2.

I’m loving the more tube like sound out of Milo, but there is something superb about the way TT2 is SOOO clean. The pragmatist in me wants to have just ONE amp, and wondering if it’s possible for me to EQ the TT2 to give me closer to what the Milo is, or has Jeff really created some magic gooeyness in his magic box.

Apologize that I'm unable to answer your question but how do they sound straight out of the RME?

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #2,232 of 5,994
Apologize that I'm unable to answer your question but how do they sound straight out of the RME?
Capable, definitely have the power, better sound stage than monolith thx dac/amp, a little digitized voices, but missing sound stage size and bass definition and weight of some of the big boys.

For full unveiling of Stealth potential If Milo is 100% capability, Hugo TT2 is 98%, Eleven audio Broadway is 90% RME is 85%, iFi Diablo 75%

Oct 18, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #2,233 of 5,994
Capable, definitely have the power, better sound stage than monolith thx dac/amp, a little digitized voices, but missing sound stage size and bass definition and weight of some of the big boys.

For full unveiling of Stealth potential If Milo is 100% capability, Hugo TT2 is 98%, Eleven audio Broadway is 90% RME is 85%, iFi Diablo 75%

Thanks.

I have a THX 789 I could run off the RME. Anything above those will have to wait a bit after dropping coin on these and the Meze Elites. 🙂

Oct 18, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #2,234 of 5,994
Thanks.

I have a THX 789 I could run off the RME. Anything above those will have to wait a bit after dropping coin on these and the Meze Elites. 🙂
I would run the RME over the 789, but i dont think its a huge margin in either direction there. In the RME you are paying for a ton of other stuff, so its not like a $1400 amp, while the THX 789 is quite clean, but when you pair it up against more heavily built amps it shows a thin-ness and digital brittleness across the whole spectrum that you will be glad to move past.

On that same scale THX 789 probably 75% becuase it is not super powerful. RME has more power and you will need it.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,235 of 5,994

I don’t own the Stealth, but heard this combo at CanJam and own TT2. Technically it’s not even one amp. The amplification happens in a single digital to analog conversion step in TT2 (and all Chord dacs, but TT2 is much more powerful). “DAC” mode is just a shortcut to 2.5v output and is the same as using the volume control in “amp” mode. So direct from the HP out (or for more power, from th rear XLR with the right adapter) is going to give you maximum transparency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back