Dan Clark Audio EXPANSE Review: Interview, Measurements, Impressions
Sep 19, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #496 of 2,584
Despite the claims of Expanse and Stealth being very hard to drive, I love the pairing of Expanse with Topping G5. I was listening to this Cuban / African piece and it is a lot of fun with this pairing.

Glad to hear it, just ordered the G5 yesterday. $300 to be able to cleanly drive even the inefficient Expanse portably? I'll take it.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #498 of 2,584
Mini gsx too noisy for...most stuff, more so for Stealth/Expanse.
Something is wrong with your Mini GSX, then. Send it in for service.

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #499 of 2,584
The impressions of how the Stealth sounds thin and lacks dynamics is evidence enough gsx mini is noisy.
That logic isn't.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #500 of 2,584
I've been very interested in the Expanse, but now not so much. I just discovered that this headphone uses an ideosyncratic and unique cable connector for the earcups - called the Hirose. It is incompatible with any of the types presently used with most other brands of headphones. So the Expanse is incompatible with my stable of extremely high-end headphone cables used on other premium headphones, including the 3.5mm (HiFiMan) and 4-pin mini XLR (Audeze). And aftermarket headphone cable makers probably wouldn't be able to make up adapters, or actual cables, using this connector. I don't know why they chose this connector, but I'm sure they will lose a few sales because of it, probably including me. I have found that the headphone cable is extremely important in optimizing the sound of fine headphones.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #501 of 2,584
I've been very interested in the Expanse, but now not so much. I just discovered that this headphone uses an ideosyncratic and unique cable connector for the earcups - called the Hirose. It is incompatible with any of the types presently used with most other brands of headphones. So the Expanse is incompatible with my stable of extremely high-end headphone cables used on other premium headphones, including the 3.5mm (HiFiMan) and 4-pin mini XLR (Audeze). And aftermarket headphone cable makers probably wouldn't be able to make up adapters, or actual cables, using this connector. I don't know why they chose this connector, but I'm sure they will lose a few sales because of it, probably including me. I have found that the headphone cable is extremely important in optimizing the sound of fine headphones.
It’s a great connector.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #502 of 2,584
Norne audio will gladly offer you Adapters and cables with the fitting connector.

Arctic cables and many others probably as well. However for Norne I know it 100%

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #503 of 2,584
If it comes with the same cable as the Stealth, it's a very good cable. I never felt the need to replace my Stealth's cable

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #504 of 2,584
It's not the most common for sure, but I just checked the Norne Audio site and Trevor makes cables for DCA headphones. Sure, you won't be able to use the other cables you already have, but it's a bit of an exaggeration to say you couldn't get aftermarket cables for the Expanse...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #506 of 2,584
Haha, you posted while I was typing my reply ^^
Coincidently just before my Post I actually ordered Adapters from Trevor for my incoming Expanse.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #507 of 2,584
The Hirose connector is my favorite. It's short, easy to connect, easy to detach, and the connection is nicely tactile and audible.
If you're looking for a blingy cable I'm sure those thieves artisans can make you a custom one. Those connectors are available to buy individually.

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #508 of 2,584
Coincidently just before my Post I actually ordered Adapters from Trevor for my incoming Expanse.
Curious about your impressions once you get the Expanse 👍🏼

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #509 of 2,584
The Hirose connector is my favorite. It's short, easy to connect, easy to detach, and the connection is nicely tactile and audible.
If you're looking for a blingy cable I'm sure those thieves artisans can make you a custom one. Those connectors are available to buy individually.
It’s become my favorite connector for every benefit you mentioned.

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #510 of 2,584
I just got my expanse and put about 8 hours on earlier today burning them in...am listening to it right now...I had the stealth briefly and liked it but really didnt need a closed back but when the expanse was announced I figured I would give it a shot...thus far I like it...first off it may be the most comfortable HP I have owned and I love the way it folds up..I also like the cable connector which is so easy and so unlikely to cause an issue...first impressions,it is a bit wider soundstage than the stealth...it has a bit more bass and is a touch warmer....to me, it is incredibly clean sounding and that was what impressed me about the stealth as well...I know there are those who speak of lack of "slam" but that has never been an issue for me...compared to my susvara they are a bit less of a wide soundstage and perhaps the bass is not quite as impactful but man these detailed and clean and really a nice listen...I wont bother comparing them to my abyss TC because they are just so different but I will compare them to my Raal CA-1a...both are incredibly detailed..the Raal is a bit more spacious and both are incredibly detailed but the expanse is for lack of a better term more refined....so far no sibilance or harshness....all in all I like them quite a bit..I find them as difficult to drive as the susvara..I am listening through my CFA3 which is a monster and I about the same spot on the volume pot as I am with the susvara

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back