1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Damping Mechanical Energy Distortion of STAX and other phones with SORBOTHANE and other materials.

First

Back
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62
  1. edstrelow Contributor

2. edstrelow Contributor
    I haven't added anything here for some time. Basically I have pretty much solved the damping issues problem with my Stax phones and have been working more with speakers. These sobothane mods remain the best and cheapest improvement in sound you are going to find and I expect in the next few years to see major adoption of this and possibly other damping techniques to speakers and headphones as well as some items of equipment which have vibrational issues, such as CD/DVD players and amplifiers.

richard51 and Slater like this.
  3. ericj
    I came across this reading about HE400S mods, since i finally bought a modern ortho.

I just wanted to say, as a senior member of Team Cheap Bastards, that I'm disappointed to be the first person to mention Peel-n-Seal, Dynamat's affordable cousin.

Got most of a roll of it here. Used a few feet of it to deaden ringing in plastic PA speaker horns. Worked a treat.

Slater likes this.
  4. edstrelow Contributor
    " I came across this reading about HE400S mods, since i finally bought a modern ortho.

I just wanted to say, as a senior member of Team Cheap Bastards, that I'm disappointed to be the first person to mention Peel-n-Seal, Dynamat's affordable cousin.

Got most of a roll of it here. Used a few feet of it to deaden ringing in plastic PA speaker horns. Worked a treat."

I am sure that many things, blue tack, peel and seal etc. can be stuck onto speakers and headphones and just about anything that sticks properly and adds mass will provide some damping. However these are designed for some other purpose eg. fixing roofs. Sorbothane has some scientific background as a means of specifically dampening vibrations by changing the mechanical energy into heat in accordance with the conservation of energy. I see no such claim for these other materials. In my experiments, reported here I have compared types and sizes of sorbothane and find the best results are fairly small, thick, dense (70 duro) pieces, properly glued and backed with, in my case, 4 layers of electrical tape to achieve " constrained damping." I did one direct comparison with comparably sized blue tack pieces and found it had only a slight effect compared to sorbothane. But there has been so little good discussion and understanding of these issues I nevertheless like to see other solutions suggested.

I am sure that Sennheiser, which has been doing damping on its better phones for years, has some good data but it is probably considered "proprietary" and will not be released to the public.

First

Back
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62