Damn you orthodynamics (LCD2 & HE-6)
Sep 28, 2011 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

sunneebear

Headphoneus Supremus
About two years ago I had my hearing checked.  Just starting my forties and my high frequency hearing was pretty good considering the crap I've been sticking in it during my younger days.  My left ear rolled of at 18.5k and my right ear at around 18k.  Not 20 to 20 but I was fine with that.  I could still hear 20k if I cheated and turned the volume up a little. 

Ever since owning the LCD2 and HE6 I noticed that I was enjoying music a little too much and many times at quite high volumes.  I bought a SPL meter and tried to keep the volume in check at around 87 to 90 db.  Flash forward a year and a half to today.  I just checked my hearing again with some test tones and both my ears start to roll of at 16k!  Ahhg!! I'm a old geezer now.  Like the geezers I secretly pity because they can't hear as well as I can. 

Flagship ortho owners please use me as a example.  Protect your hearing.  Be especially careful of that damn HE6 and speaker amps and countless hours of jamming late into the night.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 40
Good point.

I always set the volume to a comfortable level and then dial it back a few notches. Helps preserve my hearing and keeps me listening attentively.

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 40
I have a Worker's Compensation Board "Simulated Hearing Loss" CD I got unopened at a thrift store I should rip to FLAC and post on Mediafire soon. ( link will follow in this thread if I get to it.)
Scary when you think about it.
I am having issues with my left ear this week and can barely hear out of it, all off balance and dazed... so NO listening to Cans at all for me even my new acquisitions like the Ultrasone 2500
frown.gif
. Just sitting there burning in and even if I do try it briefly it's in biological MONO. Don't appreciate it until it's not around )

Please be careful. This is an eye opener for me right now and volumes will be decreased after this.

Good point on the lower levels keeping you more attentive to the music.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 40

Quote:
Good point.

I always set the volume to a comfortable level and then dial it back a few notches. Helps preserve my hearing and keeps me listening attentively.

Most of the time I do the same.  I know where 87db is on the dial and stay in the general area.  It's just some times there's a new CD or you've rediscovered a old one and in all the excitement the jam sesion begins.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 40
My advice is that if there is any possibility that you are gonna crank up the volume, limit your listening time to 1 hour, then there will be no long term ear damage.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 40

Quote:
I have a Worker's Compensation Board "Simulated Hearing Loss" CD I got unopened at a thrift store I should rip to FLAC and post on Mediafire soon. ( link will follow in this thread if I get to it.)
Scary when you think about it.
I am having issues with my left ear this week and can barely hear out of it, all off balance and dazed... so NO listening to Cans at all for me even my new acquisitions like the Ultrasone 2500
frown.gif
. Just sitting there burning in and even if I do try it briefly it's in biological MONO. Don't appreciate it until it's not around. ( I'm just a bit under 40 too )

Please be careful. This is an eye opener for me right now and volumes will be decreased after this.

Good point on the lower levels keeping you more attentive to the music.

Ultrasones make great headphones if you worry about your hearing. They really punish you if you turn the volume way up since they are obviously balanced for lower SPL then a lot of other headphones :)

I agree the LCD-2 it´s almost sky is the limit for how high you can crank these up with this shelved treble and non existant distortion. In the beginning I used SPL metre but been lazy with it lately. So I am quite afraid of figuring out what levels I am actually listening at. Not that much of a treble head anymore so wonder if it wouldn´t be for the better loosing some highs :)

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 40
This might be a dumb question, but how do you use an SPL meter with headphones?

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #8 of 40
I use some cardboard to create a seal. It won´t be hundred percent accurate but better then nothing and you get a reference point.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 40
Are you damning orthos specifically because they might be like electrostatics in that they don't distort even at very high volumes?

Right now, I'm struggling to hear even 15 KHz using SineGen, regardless of what headphones I use. That worries me a lot, since I'm only 21 and my hearing shouldn't be rolled off that early at this age. (And yet some think I'm too concerned about loud noises...but there's also the possibility that the source is rolling it all off at some point.)

I try to listen at a comfortable level, adjusting volume as needed. Couldn't tell you the actual decibel/SPL rating, but if it starts feeling uncomfortable, I naturally turn it down and then a bit more to be on the safe side. What might concern me is if my comfortable levels are still dangerous for preserving hearing.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #11 of 40
Wow 15k at 21 years. Maybe I got it good. At 21I was still rockin it wearing my headphones and walkman everywhere I went. The volume was crazy loud too. I guess I should be thankful I'm not half deaf already.

Oct 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #15 of 40
Im 26 and i can still hear 19k. I just took an online test and im kinda shocked that i can still hear 19k. I have gone to a few concerts and have a loud car stereo that i sometimes do play a bit loudly.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back