Damn You Head-fi!!!
Nov 11, 2008 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

SinnerG

100+ Head-Fier
Me intro.

Been lurking here for about 2 weeks now. Thought I'd finally sign up and introduce myself just like others have... with a little cursing subject line.
bigsmile_face.gif

It's on here I found reviews for the headphones I ordered last Thursday and received from Japan today (a mere 4 business days from Japan to Cape Town, South Africa). Have a set of Audio-technica ATH-A900 now. I've had them for a full 4 hours now... and I've been screamed at by my wife 3 times already.
biggrin.gif
I think she screamed at me, I couldn't hear her.

It fit my "budget". Yes, I blew out probably a ton more than I should have considering I'm probably teetering on financial collapse right now.
biggrin.gif
But I can't hear the bank manager either.
biggrin.gif

It's been years since I last used a fairly good set of cans and that was also hooked up to a pretty decent NAD amp which my folks still have. Been years since I've fired up any music at my office during office hours, so earlier this year I thought I'd start again because I was hearing my boss too much. I spent a few pennies on some cheap headphones which lasted 2 months before I killed them. Fair sound from them though considering they were real crap knock-offs. :p But they changed rapidly from being good to sounding crap and then things started to break.

Anyway, the words on here led me to Audio-technica which seemed to fit the music I prefer (I'm no headphile, really). My source is my mp3 rips going through my weeny Asus Xonar U1 seeing as it was a good price and I'm quite impressed with it doing duty at home and the office. Just have to be careful with the ATH-A900 as they seem delicate and I was using folding DJ headphones previously. Might get a pair of those AT DJ phones for lugging around.

Only one thing though...

I used to look like this --->
happy_face1.gif

But now I look like this -->
atsmile.gif

A little bit of a shocking realization that I, indeed, do have a particularly small head. And age is leaving me with diminishing padding up there too.
icon10.gif

Hey, does anyone know of those tubes on the ATs can be shortened a tad? I look like the last half peanut rattling around in a peanut can with these on.

Anyway, I'm off to read more reviews on here for desktop amps. I'm not gonna buy anything though... I think I've spent enough to end this year off. And I'm blaming you lot for it all!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 30
Welcome, sorry for your wallet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I'm off to read more reviews on here for desktop amps. I'm not gonna buy anything though...

LOL
L3000.gif

Sure, you're not going to buy anything.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 30
biggrin.gif
Yeah, from what I've seen on here this is really something that can bite. An expensive hobby/passion.

But I can't... I really can't. I vow to simply read and enjoy. Sorta.

It's just been one of those years of financial mayhem (economy, slip-ups, ever increasing interest rates, etc), but for all of that I think I deserved a nice spend for my birthday... and my christmas... and my anniversary, etc. I even got rid of my project track car last month. 2009 better be better.
biggrin.gif

It's just that the stuff on here is soooo tempting.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 30
Welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

Now out spend some hard earned money...

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 30
Thank you.
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi!
smile.gif

Now out spend some hard earned money...

I might next year, but I must focus on some other items that need sorting first. But I definitely would like a dedicated amp in the next year. I'll have to squeeze it into the household budget... she-who-must-be-obeyed will never know.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SinnerG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
she-who-must-be-obeyed will never know.

Famous last words.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Famous last words.

Indeed, this is true.
wink_face.gif
But if I'm going out, I'm taking the ipod I got for her with me. Alas, it's but a gig of storage.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 30
I need a closed pair. There'll be endless complaints at the office with open ones. AD2000s would be sweet though.
smily_headphones1.gif
No, must not spend more until next year sometime.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 30
Stop the temptations.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back