DAMN YOU HEAD FI....
Jul 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Beerme

New Head-Fier
ok, so i started lookin around this forum a while back, joined a little while ago and thought i'd point out just what damage has been done!!

BEFORE head fi,

always had a half decent home stereo set up, used to connect pc to amp and run through a pair of giant celestion ditton 33's, really wasn't that worried about portable set#up, used to run with stock phones and a £10 mp3 player with 128k mp3's!! then i had, (well, the missus), a baby!! YAY! but no longer could i use the giants(which are great by the way)! oh, and then i came across head fi...

AFTER head fi,

ok, obviously onboard sound dont cut it, nor did the SB live 5,1 digital, i now have the envy 24ht-s, it'll do for the moment til i get an external DAC.

got a pair of HD201's (fantastic sound compared to stocks!) but obviously needed an amp to fully appreciate....long story short, i'm now on HD595's, with a fully modded btech BT928 with hand matched resistors, (i taught myself how to solder for this...), it's not good enuff!!

got a creative zen v and some jvc marshmallows, Kramerised.....

not good enuff!!

got a FiiO amp for the zen, ok, but still not good enuff....

just ordered a sansa clip, thinkin about some porta pro's too....

i'm building a Cmoy based amp, i know it wont be good enuff!!

i now have 2 X FiiO amps, 3 X Btech BT928 amps, 1 fully modded, 1 half modded(caps only) 1 about to be done.....

i have a tin full of audio grade caps and metal film resistors, 2 soldering irons, a digital multi meter and a missus sayin 'What, how can you spend £80 on a pair of headphones?' (the HD595's where a bargain!!)...

so, as the title says...DAMN YOU HEAD FI!!!
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 12
Oh, you've only just begun.
wink.gif

Did you know the finest turntables come from England? Rega, Linn, Michell... there is much to love. Those Sowter transformers you have over there are awfully good. One of the few companies that makes output transformers for headphone users. And watch out for the UK Head-Fi'ers, as well. I understand there's a bit of drinking along with excessive audio purchases.

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 12
lol, yes, my alcohol consumption has been hit slightly as i've had to try and hide some of the expenditure from the missus, (chugs a bit more of my pint of snakebite..)

oh yeah, only FLAC will do now so i had to get 4 X 80 gig hdd's in raid0 to compensate!!

on the plus side comfortably numb(live) sounds absolutely fantastic, as does all my other music, so i suppose a 'Thank You head fi' is also in order!

at this moment, 'alive'-pearl jam mmmmmmmmmm i like jam!?!

Jul 14, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah, sorry about your wallet. Take it slow and enjoy the ride.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 12
I feel your frustration. Many of us can relate. I started out on a cheap little 256 mb MP3 player and googled the info of types of MP3 players out there. My intention was to get a good quality cheap MP3 player because I've always used those Sony CD walkmans.

Suddenly, i stumbled upon higher end headphones on CNET.com since they were reviewing headphones. One think led to another and now I am spending thousands of dollars and my summer plans are now ruined. I need help!

But in the long run, I will have access to music that sounds so warm and beautiful. I will be taken away to different places and be swept off my feet in sonic lushess. It will be like buttery French pastries for my ears once I am complete with my rig. It's expensive but anything that is smooth and refined is always a higher price tag. Music is very important and one of the greatest joys out there. Hearing it in it's beauty and glory in your own home is a wonderful treat. So treat yourself. You deserve it!

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 12
Curse you Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

...and the journey have just began...

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 12
This is what happens when the "Curse You, Head-Fi!" thread stays buried in the graveyard - somehow it manages to live on and strike more unsuspecting victims!

Oh, but don't click the link in my sig to get there - apparently it's been cursed to go to some Phillip Glass thread. In fact, most of the links down there are broken now, hilarious.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #10 of 12
ever wonder why our motto is "sorry about your wallet"? i still dont understand why people run when they see that, unfortunately, nobody told me until it was too late. still, im glad they didnt.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 12
Yeah they really should change the head-fi logo to a vacuum cleaner sucking money out of a wallet.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah they really should change the head-fi logo to a vacuum cleaner sucking money out of a wallet.

BEST IDEA EVER!!! Someone with reasonable photoshop skills please do this. Please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back