Damn! Does it get better?!?
Sep 13, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree with you, at first the ER6i's sound much clearer than full sized headphones, but later on you'll realize the extra layers in the highs and lows, and the nuances hidden behind the curtain of mid texture that was missing with the ER6i's being revealed to you either through 1) better IEMs or less obviously, 2) better source (I never really regarded the lower Zens as "good quality").

Of course, I've never counted my source as a good quality one. Especially seeing i listen to mp3's, and the player's sound is so muffled (I compared to other low-budgets and found my player's soundstage real real small, and details are missing)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my answer is, yes it does get better, much much better. But why fix it when it's not broken? You'll be much happier that way, and have more to spend on other things. If you still really want to upgrade, the ER4P is very bang-for-buck if you can find it for $200~, and also very neutral but again, like the ER6i's, lacking a little bass.

I do feel the er-6i's sound (and the lossy-mp3 player) hurting sound quality and texture a lot. It doesn't sound true yet, still like i'm hearing through.... Well, through headphones!

Yet again, I live in Israel. No damn way to HEAR a thing before you buy it. Unless I find a hifi-shack somewhere here, I guess I'll be sticking with my ety's for a good time. They're great to me! But far far from perfect.

I actually wrote this thread in a middle of a new song (meaning, a song i've only heared on my pc) so that's why i was so over-enthusiastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just skip all the other mess and go straight for the HE90. In all seriousness though, a pair of ER4s could do a lot for you. But re-ripping everything to lossless could too, and that is free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...........Yes, it gets much better. It's called analog
smily_headphones1.gif

Go to a local hi-fi (and I mean REALLY hi-fi, you can't find turntables anymore unless it's a boutique, high-end place) and try one out with your current equipment...................

As I said, no such thing here.... At least not that I know of.... And at this time I'd concentrate on digital audio more. Vinyls aren't really an option (hard to get, and will never be portable)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just 15? I turn 15 on the 16th, and look at my setup! Honestly, go out and hear something. For me I went to ToddR and listened to his HD650s, ER4Ps, SE530, and his sons MS-1s out of his Singlepower and Pimeta (respectively) and man, it really opened up my eyes.

I really need to find some IL-Audiophile somewhere.....

:p

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I simply cannot imagine better sound than this right now. (yet again, when I only had my ep630s I felt the same way.)

after any nice upgrade i think we all have the same question....till the next upgrade comes in. i sometimes think "are we just going in circles?"

are we?

Batman?

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #18 of 42
unfortunately for your wallet, yes it does get better

but the fun is in the journey (imo) trying different stuff

bask in your setup's glory but put a bit aside for a rainy day (should a gob smacking deal come up in the FS/FT forums)
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

I gave a listen to my friend's audio technicha a900 (I think it was them). They WERE unamped, but yet again they sounded completely rubbish compared to the ety's. It was definitely above average in clarity and balance, but they still sounded "caned" (as though the sound passes a silver can and gets colored, sounds un-true... My descriptions aren't all that good, sorry...), and I couldn't get that amazing detail and clarity. It sounded like headphones!

You've come across the unique sound presentation of IEMs. They kind of inject music into your head with a hypodermic needle. Some folks just prefer this.
They can never match the airiness, bass or soundstage of 'hi-fi' headphones.

Lol, A900s are far from rubbish.

Sep 13, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've come across the unique sound presentation of IEMs. They kind of inject music into your head with a hypodermic needle. Some folks just prefer this.

Dunno, I did expect the sound to have wider soundstage than my etys, but I expected something else. They don't have the ety detail and precision, they sound like cans a whole lot more than the etys (when I say sound like cans, I mean sound un-natural, meaning you can feel you're hearing through headphones a lot more. not only because of the soundstage, but the lacking detail and sound-coloration.)

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Dunno, I did expect the sound to have wider soundstage than my etys, but I expected something else. They don't have the ety detail and precision, they sound like cans a whole lot more than the etys (when I say sound like cans, I mean sound un-natural, meaning you can feel you're hearing through headphones a lot more. not only because of the soundstage, but the lacking detail and sound-coloration.)

I think your opinion of cans has a lot to do with the fact that you haven't listened to them with a decent source and amp. Headphones are actually regarded as having more detail than speakers. There's a reason that studio engineers use headphones instead of speakers. As to coloration, you can get that with both speakers and headphones. About the soundstage, yes, this is one of the areas where speakers are probably better. Also, it's not physically possible to get the same type of chest-thumping bass, although headphones are generally regarded as having more accurate bass.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 42
You should rerip your cds to a lossless format ASAP. It's the first FREE way for you to get even more out of your music.

I made that switch progressively over a couple months, and between even 260+ VBR Mp3s and Lossless I was able to tell a difference. It was so noticeable that I threw out all of my downloaded music and now only have stuff ripped from a hard copy cd in my library.

Going from 18000 tracks to 5000 at that point was a real shock for when I wanted to make playlists and just didn't have the same selection to work with, but I still don't regret it.

The other recommendation I have for you is PROTECT YOUR EARS. I'm 19 now, and when I was 15 I went to concerts all the time just ruining my hearing because I didn't wear earplugs. I figured it out at about 16 or 17 that I should probably protect my hearing, and I don't feel that wearing earplugs detracts from any concert I've been to. It's not just for metal concerts either, I went to see The Decemberists in Austin once and remember the volume of the concert much louder than recent metal shows I'd been to.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know, I prefer the UE10s bass to any headphone I've tried.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #24 of 42
the answer to 'does it get better' is really subjective.

In a word YES. However you should stop and appreciate what you have.

The pursuit of 'Better' is the head-fi hobby. It can also cost you a LOT of money.

I have often thought of what I call 'stopping points' along my own journey. Really great rigs that may or may not be high dollar that just sound great. When that happens it is synergy in action, and when synergy happens...watch out.

Since we're talking IEMs, a couple of IEM stopping points:
2g iPod Nano > ALO Four Wire Jumbo Cryo LOD > RSA Tomahawk > UE5c
iMod 60gig photo > ALO Super Kind mini to mini > RSA Hornet 'M' > Westone ES2

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should rerip your cds to a lossless format ASAP. It's the first FREE way for you to get even more out of your music.

I'm always amazed by this. One thing, if I buy CDs I want to get my monies worth, which ripping to mp3 is not doing[losing data you've bought] and then theres all these people spending £1000s on audio equipment to play 192kb/s mp3s.

'Weakest link in a chain is where it breaks'.

'You can't polish a turd'. Buying RS-1s to play ****.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, I prefer the UE10s bass to any headphone I've tried.

D'oh.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #27 of 42
with your ety's, you should save up for a xin micro amp! i've heard it's got great synergy with the ety's and it only costs $200. being on a tight budget, i think $200 is somewhat affordable... especially if you have to wait 3-6 months before you get the amp! lol...

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think your opinion of cans has a lot to do with the fact that you haven't listened to them with a decent source and amp. Headphones are actually regarded as having more detail than speakers. There's a reason that studio engineers use headphones instead of speakers. As to coloration, you can get that with both speakers and headphones. About the soundstage, yes, this is one of the areas where speakers are probably better. Also, it's not physically possible to get the same type of chest-thumping bass, although headphones are generally regarded as having more accurate bass.

I've never said headphones are less detailed then speakers. I said that I still hadn't come a cross a headphones which sounded completely natural to my ear, my current etys are closest. (I also hadn't come across a full size speaekr system which sounded perfectly natural)

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 42
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It gets so much better that you will start selling organs on the black market (not your own) to buy more AKGs.

can you gimme a phone number or website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back