Damn! Does it get better?!?
Sep 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadavnaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never said headphones are less detailed then speakers. I said that I still hadn't come a cross a headphones which sounded completely natural to my ear, my current etys are closest. (I also hadn't come across a full size speaekr system which sounded perfectly natural)

Well, I'm basing this on the following quote--
Quote:

when I say sound like cans, I mean sound un-natural, meaning you can feel you're hearing through headphones a lot more. not only because of the soundstage, but the lacking detail and sound-coloration

Am I missing something
wink.gif
?

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should rerip your cds to a lossless format ASAP. It's the first FREE way for you to get even more out of your music.

I made that switch progressively over a couple months, and between even 260+ VBR Mp3s and Lossless I was able to tell a difference. It was so noticeable that I threw out all of my downloaded music and now only have stuff ripped from a hard copy cd in my library.

Going from 18000 tracks to 5000 at that point was a real shock for when I wanted to make playlists and just didn't have the same selection to work with, but I still don't regret it.

Dunno, I don't neccesarily get my music through bought CD's. But the music I do get, I really should rip to flac. (It's the music I love most too, so it fits nicely)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other recommendation I have for you is PROTECT YOUR EARS. I'm 19 now, and when I was 15 I went to concerts all the time just ruining my hearing because I didn't wear earplugs. I figured it out at about 16 or 17 that I should probably protect my hearing, and I don't feel that wearing earplugs detracts from any concert I've been to. It's not just for metal concerts either, I went to see The Decemberists in Austin once and remember the volume of the concert much louder than recent metal shows I'd been to.

I don't go to too many conerts anyway. And to the concerts I do go to, I wear plugs.(For example:megadeth=Ear holocaust. My first heavy metal concert actually. I put in my earplugs and I could actually enjoy it alot more, I actually heared music instead of shreaking. Though in jazz concerts I go to, I see no reason for earplugs)

Sep 13, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Dunno, I don't neccesarily get my music through bought CD's. But the music I do get, I really should rip to flac.

Yes, whatever you do, you should stop using straight MP3s. Google the technology behind them and you'll want to vomit. To compact the files, they strip a HUGE amount of the information from the music.

That should be a big step in the right direction, although I still stand by my opinion that you absolutely have to get an amp to realize the potential of headphones/IEMs.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

I've had my etymotic er-6i's for about a month now.

Every song I've heared, I hear again on them. It's a different world. I keep getting audiorgasms (<my new concept). I hear details I've never heard before on bands like "Porcupine Tree", I hear some fusion and hear every instrument, quiet equally, I hear the acoustic guitars for a change.

I HEAR EVERYTHING! Whole sound-bites that I've never noticed before in my life.

I'm listening to 192K+ mp3's through a Creative zen micro photo, direct to my iems. It's truely a begginer's setup! But I've never heard better clarity detail and balance in my whole life!

I gave a listen to my friend's audio technicha a900 (I think it was them). They WERE unamped, but yet again they sounded completely rubbish compared to the ety's. It was definitely above average in clarity and balance, but they still sounded "caned" (as though the sound passes a silver can and gets colored, sounds un-true... My descriptions aren't all that good, sorry...), and I couldn't get that amazing detail and clarity. It sounded like headphones!

So,
1. Can you accomplish such clarity and detail with full size cans?(I guess you can, but they need amplification)...

2. DOES IT GET ANY BETTER?! I simply cannot imagine better sound than this right now. (yet again, when I only had my ep630s I felt the same way.)
Which headphones\IEMS would be just like my ety's, but BETTER? (meaning, same sound signature, better sound quality-trueness etc.)

Sorry if this thread is pointless P:

Edit:Yes, it does get better. I think this whole thread is a result of me hearing a new song on my phones, Now i'm giving a listen to some old material and it sounds faaar from perfect. Part of it is cause of it being mp3's.

So, how much better does it get?
biggrin.gif

Just the tip of the ice berg.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Dunno, I don't neccesarily get my music through bought CD's. But the music I do get, I really should rip to flac. (It's the music I love most too, so it fits nicely)

Just out of curiosity, if you don't get music through bought CDs, what are you ripping to flac?

Please say other people's CDs rather than just "ripping" or converting your Mp3s to FLAC, which does nothing.

Just making sure, there have been plenty of misconceptions about the idea behind uncompressed audio, and I wouldn't want you wasting your time trying to make a beautiful tree out of a nicely sanded-down 2x4
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #37 of 42
My ER6i can get dramatically better listening through an iBasso DAC/amp while using a cd player (or DAP) with optical out as the source!

The sound can rival or beat the Shure SE530's on a 2G nano with no amp.

However, hook those SE530's to the iBasso and CD with optical out, and you'll NEVER, EVER, go back!!!!
eek.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ER6i can get dramatically better listening through an iBasso DAC/amp while using a cd player (or DAP) with optical out as the source!

The sound can rival or beat the Shure SE530's on a 2G nano with no amp.

However, hook those SE530's to the iBasso and CD with optical out, and you'll NEVER, EVER, go back!!!!
eek.gif

either that or a car... well i guess ill be walking to work for a while.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You will listen to all of your music again everytime you upgrade a component (or a component of a component, if you're into tubes). It's part of the ritual.

hell just wait till you hear a ****in grado SR80 coming out of an ipod with some warm tubey guitar goin on.

and yes, its true, youll spend hours re analyzing/thrashing to your old music, depending on which cans you have.

specifically the Ety's are more analytical, i had the Harman Kardon EP710s which sound most like the ER6, which was a bit dry for me, but i can obviously see how they could be good for the right purposes.

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXhalberstramXX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope doesn't get any better. enjoy your music. move along, nothing to see here.

yup run FAR FAR away from here and don't look back. Don't open Pandora's Box, your wallet will thank you but if you are really curious then hang around
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back