Damaged right cable on SR225s. Recable myself or send into Grado?
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

westies

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 31, 2005
Posts
135
Likes
0
Over the past week the right channel on my 225s has been cutting out rather frequently. The cable is very weak on both sides of the Y joint and jiggling the cable on the right side of the joint remmedies the problem temporarily.

I bought these used back in December, so they wouldn't be covered under warranty. Is it worth it to send it to Grado and pay them for repair, or should I just buy some wire and attempt to re-cable it myself? I'm not exactly the craftiest person in the world, nor am I very good at soldering, but I figure I could manage.

Any thoughts?
 
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 24

Stradius

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Posts
16
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cable is very weak on both sides of the Y joint and jiggling the cable on the right side of the joint remmedies the problem temporarily.


It's the problem I experienced twice with my SR80s some years back. I just got the 225s recently and I am hoping the build quality will last a bit longer.
 
Sep 14, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 24

xollox

Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Posts
63
Likes
0
I vote the DIY route :)
 
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 24

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Posts
2,309
Likes
10
I've heard the 325i with Cardas and liked how they sounded. I plan to give my 225's some Cardas soon
biggrin.gif
 
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 24

GiR

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 11, 2007
Posts
126
Likes
0
I have some cardas recabled 325i's on their way to me at the moment, can't wait to try them out
smily_headphones1.gif


If your not too worried about sending them out to get recabled, would it be an option to try do it yourself and then if you dont like the result get them professionally recabled anyways? Give you the fun of trying it out and seeing what you can do with the option of getting them done properly if you cant get them to a satisfactory level.

Or would there be problems with actually breaking the headphones when DIYing the cable?
 
Sep 14, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 24

lostbobby

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Posts
605
Likes
10
there have been threads about damaging the drivers with heat trying to pry the driver out of the cup. Do a search.

If it's only $90 to do the headphile recable, I'd consider that a bargain, I'm assuming that's with a pure copper or maybe silver-plated copper, neutrik plug and the soft covering (i think it's called techflex). Those are all pretty costly bits. Grado will charge $40 including shipping.
 
Sep 14, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 24

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Posts
2,309
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main worry is that I'll somehow screw up the headphones taking them apart. Other than that I'm not worried about anything else other than how much it's going to cost me :p

Lets say I were to make a short 6' cable. What exactly will I need?
6 feet of this cable
12 feet of this sleeve
1 foot of shrinktube
A 1/4" stereo jack

Is this correct?



that cable would be pretty decent for the job.
get nylon multifilament. You'll want about 6' 3/8" or 1/4" and 3' 1/8"
get some 3:1 heatshrink so you can use the same size for everything
Neutrik makes some nice plugs

 
Sep 15, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 24

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Posts
8,547
Likes
83
Quote:

Originally Posted by westies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over the past week the right channel on my 225s has been cutting out rather frequently. The cable is very weak on both sides of the Y joint and jiggling the cable on the right side of the joint remmedies the problem temporarily.

I bought these used back in December, so they wouldn't be covered under warranty. Is it worth it to send it to Grado and pay them for repair, or should I just buy some wire and attempt to re-cable it myself? I'm not exactly the craftiest person in the world, nor am I very good at soldering, but I figure I could manage.

Any thoughts?



Just have it re cabled with a better cable. Might be more expensive but will be worry free & have an impact on performance. Recommend Alex personally..
 
Sep 15, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 24

Stradius

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Posts
16
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that cable would be pretty decent for the job.
get nylon multifilament. You'll want about 6' 3/8" or 1/4" and 3' 1/8"
get some 3:1 heatshrink so you can use the same size for everything
Neutrik makes some nice plugs




Did you do your own cables for the screeny of those headphones? Because I need something like that done. My Panasonic headphones had that nylon stuff and it's awesome. I think it would pre-emptively prevent my Grado cable housing issue from coming up. Any places where I can get it done, with the nylon housing in particular?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top