Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Aaaaaahhhhhh...
Because the world is round it turns me on
Because the world is round...aaaaaahhhhhh

Because the wind is high it blows my mind
Because the wind is high...aaaaaaaahhhh

Most of you probably recognize that as the great bit of John Lennon baroque-pop that transitions the simple, child-like wonder of Harrison's "Here Comes the Sun" to the whimsical, but adult sounding daydream of Paul's "You Never Give Me Your Money", beginning the suite of song fragments that make up the bulk of Abbey Road's side 2. But it also provides a reference point in describing the sound that winds its way throughout the Blonde Redhead Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons, especially the wonderful song couplet "Hated Because of Great Qualities" sung by Kazu Makaino followed by "Loved Despite of Great Faults" sung by Amedeo Pace. Quite an album. Easily made it into my top 20 favorites of 2000, but in retrospect might be my top album of that year if I was to redo the list now.

"Creating an alternate world as exotic as Radiohead but with actual songs that creep inside your dreams at night without calling attention to themselves or tripping any wires, Blonde Redhead arrives with a haunting reminder that pop can be catchy as hell without forsaking loftier artistic challenges." - Ed Masley, Post-Gazette

But the one shown below is what I've been listening to recently.......a LOT. I love everything about this new album, so far. Not as jagged overall as some of the last album - more of the lush sound befitting the 4AD label they're now with. Still a little closer to that Beatle's Abbey Road sound of the last album than the Cocteau Twins or other 4AD alumni, but more polished than anything they've done before with nary a hint of their Sonic Youth roots. Reviews seem to be mixed on this one, many lamenting the sanded off edges, but I'm solidly in the "love it" camp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)