Damaged driver diaphragm
Mar 18, 2019 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hifinoob005

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I was cleaning a pair of headphones and I accidentally made some dents in the diaphragm. It's made out of thin plastic.Looking with a magnifier glass it does not seem to be ruptured, just bent. I can definitely hear a difference in sound.

On the back of the driver there is a circular hole half covered with hard paper. Tried to blow through it but it stayed the same.

I've seen some recommendations, from using scotch tape on the front, a vacuum (in the front of the membrane), compressed air. Which one should I use?

If I leave it alone, will it come back to it's regular shape?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 3
If you're confident with your motor-skills, you could simply get a thin flat-head screwdriver, cover the tip with a tiny strip of double-sided tape, gently press down onto the diaphragm on the dents and pull the dents out with some 'authority'. The 'confidence' factor is needed because you're bringing two magnetic forces together which can make things worse.

If you're not confident, just find a similar tool, but made of plastic or wood, as this will reduce the risk of making a bigger dent.

I've successfully used this technique a number of times.

EDIT: And of course to reduce risk of damage, start by gently pushing and pulling, and incrementally increase strength until it works... the first few times the tape will just let go of the diaphragm without removing the dent.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 3
If you're confident with your motor-skills, you could simply get a thin flat-head screwdriver, cover the tip with a tiny strip of double-sided tape, gently press down onto the diaphragm on the dents and pull the dents out with some 'authority'. The 'confidence' factor is needed because you're bringing two magnetic forces together which can make things worse.

If you're not confident, just find a similar tool, but made of plastic or wood, as this will reduce the risk of making a bigger dent.

I've successfully used this technique a number of times.

EDIT: And of course to reduce risk of damage, start by gently pushing and pulling, and incrementally increase strength until it works... the first few times the tape will just let go of the diaphragm without removing the dent.

I used an aircan which removed some of them, and the rest went away with the tape method.

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back