Dallas peoples roll call
Dec 5, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #17 of 27
Actually, the Oris lives at my brother's house. Not sure if he is going to let me rearrange his furniture to achieve the optimal speaker placement... but I'm working on it.

By the way fellas, the Oris sounds noticeably better than it did at the last Dallas Head-Fi meeting. I've learned a lot more including driver cone replacements, cable rolling, isolation, and optimal placement. Without question it is still the best DIY speaker project on the planet.

In the future, I'll be upgrading to the larger Oris 150 horns and replacing the Lowther PM2A drivers with AER-BD3 drive units. Amps may likely be switched from 2A3's to 45's at that point.

Dec 5, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 27
ooh, even better now? I remember the system as being.. well, fantastic, but still needing a few improvements. I remember tonality in some instruments needing a more realistic sound. Did you ever get the horns painted? Anyway, let me know if you decide to make a trip to Austin. I always have a place to stay down there, so that's no problem.

Dec 6, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #19 of 27
I might as well get this started.

I am officially opening my place for a Dallas Head-Fi Meet for those interested. It doesn't look like I can have it before the end of the year, so how about Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 1:00? We'll see if Sunday is needed. That will give everyone time to wind down from the holidays.

How does that date work for everyone else?
smily_headphones1.gif
Start chiming in if you're interested.

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #20 of 27
I'm interested tentatively. I never know when a work weekend may strike (as it did last time) but I'd be there otherwise.

Dec 11, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #23 of 27
dparrish
Do you want to do XA comparisons at this time or would you rather do that seperate from the meeting? It'd be nice to be able to compare with the Thiels and Classe on hand but I doubt I could get you to bring those.
wink.gif

Dec 11, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 27
We may as well get the equipment list started, too. Maybe seeing what will be there will stimulate some more interest. I will have the following pieces available, good or bad:

Amps:
Melos SHA-1
Parasound HCA 800 mk.II headphone out
SAC K-1000 (for AKG K-1000's)

Phones:
Grado HP-2
Grado SR-325
AKG K-1000
Senn HD 600 w/ Equinox
Senn HD 580
Senn HD 497
Sony V-6
Koss Porta-Pros

Source:
Pioneer DV-343 w/ Bolder modded ART DI/O
Toshiba DVD-A, HDCD player

We were short on sources for a while last time, so bring what you have!

I wish we had some high efficiency speakers to hook up to Kelly's RKV to test it out as an integrated amp.

Dec 11, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #25 of 27
at least:

Sony XA777ES ModWright Absolute Truth
ART DI/O Bolder Mods with Bolder PSU (will need a transport if anyone wants to use this)

Corda Prehead-1
AudioValve RKV II

Grado HP-1/standard cable
Sennheiser HD600/Cardas cable
Ultrasone HFI-650

Dec 16, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 27
Todd
You may want to make a seperate thread for this. I'm afraid people may not click on my post since it didn't mention an actual meet in the topic.

Dec 16, 2002 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Todd
You may want to make a seperate thread for this. I'm afraid people may not click on my post since it didn't mention an actual meet in the topic.

Good Idea. . . Done. See Dallas Winter Head-Fi Meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back