Dallas Head-Fi meet - Saturday, August 3rd and Sunday, August 4th
Jul 6, 2002 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
All right kiddos, this is the one you've been waiting for. Your patience has paid off. August is the hottest month of the year, but now there is a reason to celebrate. The next Head-Fi meeting is coming up soon. Mark your calendar and prepare for an eargasmic experience!

My apartment is small, but bring big expectations. Your ears will not be the same after this meeting! Making its first time appearance will be Joe Lau's 2A3 based headphone amp... the TWIN HEAD! Big thanks to Tash of Divergent Technologies for supporting the Head-Fi community. Also making an appearance will be KurtW's modded Corda Ha-1, the excellent AudioValve RKV, Wayne's (of Boldercables.com) modded ART DI/O, and both the Ear 4 and Ear+ headphone amp/preamps from Mapletree Audio Design.

I haven't contacted Headroom yet, but I suspect Tyll will want the excellent Max and Cosmic to make an appearance as usual, as well as a sample of headphones that won't be brought in by our members. Is this a great community, or what?

As if that wasn't enough, I am on schedule to complete the Oris 200 Project in time for the meeting. This project has taken many months to research, assemble, and reconfigure before reaching its present state. So far, so good. Lowther drivers take 400-500 hours to break in fully, but at least you will have a firsthand taste of what this system can offer.

Everyone, please reply to this thread with the day(s) you plan to attend and indicate what gear you will be bringing if any. I'll get in touch with each of you via email or PM if necessary. I should be able to accomodate about 8-10 people at a time, so if we can stagger the attendance over both days with different times, that would be ideal. Or we can just pack in and hope for the best.

4 weeks and counting... tic tic tic tic tic...

Jul 6, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 53
Tube amps we will have:

MG Head OTL (Jerikl)
Mapletree Ear 4 (mine)
Mapletree Ear+ (mine)
AudioValve RKV (Kelly)
ASL Twin Head (Tash of Divergent)

Solid state amps:

Sugden Headmaster (Kelly)
Headroom Little w/PS (Headroom)
Headroom Cosmic (Headroom)
Headroom Max (Headroom)
Modded Corda HA-1 (Kelly)

Headphones:

Sony R-10 (Edwin)
AKG K501 (Headroom)
AKG K1000 (Headroom)
Beyer 831 (Headroom)
Grado SR-325 or RS-1 (Headroom)
Sennheiser HD-590 (Headroom)
Sennheiser HD-600 w/Cardas, Clou blue, Equinox (ubiquitious by now...)
Etymotic ER-4S (Kelly)
Audio Technica W100 (Shivohum is mailing a pair to us for the meeting... whatta guy!)

DACs:

Modded ART DI/O (Kelly)
Channel Islands VDA-1 (from Dusty of Ciaudio.com)

Bonus stage:

Oris 200 demonstration (early working state but functional)

By the way, did you know that Equinox has a AKG-K1000 replacement cable... hmmmm??? That might be the missing link.
wink.gif

I'll check the replies to this thread and keep this post updated with anything you plan to bring along. Hours start at 1pm and will go until I fall asleep.

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 53
Ok, I just got done confirming that I can actually come to this one (grr).

Additionally, there should be at least one Sugden Headmaster (solidstate amp). If I don't manage to sell it, there will also be a McCormack Micro Integrated Drive.

I was planning to bring my Sony XA777ES sacd/cd player as well, but I was hoping to have it shipped off to Modwright by then and I'd definitely not have it back by then. May have to make a decision there soon.

Carlo has loaned me some interconnects and power cables that he is cool with me bringing to the meeting so long as he doesn't need them back by then. Cable rolling/testing isn't required but if you guys are interested...

For headphones, I will have my HD600 w/ Cardas cable and Etymotic ER-4S w/ FixUp cable.

Nick, if at all possible -- please please try to get HeadRoom to send an EAR HP-4. We can probably forgo the Max if needed as I *think* one of our locals will own one by then (and want to bring it). Headwired has a Cosmic too, if anyone knows where he's been lately.

Any idea what hours you had in mind? Might be a good idea to state them so those of us who are obsessed don't overstay our welcomes.

Anyway, bigtime looking forward to the TwinHead and hanging out with you guys.

Jul 7, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 53
I will bring my HeadRoom Max which SHOULD be here by then, but not fully broken in.

Kelly and I have both ordered a Sugden, so between the two of us, hopefully we'll have one there.

Also, I'll bring my HD600s and Equinox cable; I've also ordered a Cardas which I'm still waiting on.

If Kelly decides to ship is XA777ES off for modding, I'll also be glad to bring my unmodded version.

Cables: M-Path and Kimber Select 1011s.

I also have an older Cosmic (3 yrs old?) without the Base Station that I'll be glad to bring if anyone is interested.

Jul 8, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 53
Heh. I forgot--I'll also bring the Brick Wall, in case anyone cares.

Jul 8, 2002 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 53
I'll be there man... I don't have anything anymore, but I'll bring my Grado HP-2s, and whatever amp I have at the moment, probably a meta and/or a Sugden...

Jul 9, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 53
Nick, I have to complain if you expect people from out of state to come to the National Head-Fi meet in Dallas you got to give us more notice to book those econo fights. Anyhow I got my tickets, and I will be bringing my R10's. Can I come to both days,please?

Edwin

Jul 9, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 53
So we have people flyin in now? How cool is that. "National" meet? I thought these were suppose to be local... anyway, I'll be there, of course. I might have a friend coming too if that's okay. Nick, Kelly, Flumpus... I think you all met him at the Headroom stop. The day really doesn't matter for me.

Jul 10, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 53
Sure thing Edwin... nice to have you aboard. Both days are OK... do you think I'd kick you out or something?
wink.gif

Good heavens I hope this doesn't turn into a mob. I have room for about 10 people at any one time. Thus far we have:

Kelly
Jerikl and friend
Dparrish
Flumpus
Edwin

That's already six not counting myself. If Carlo comes, that will be seven. Make that eight if he brings a friend.

Two spaces left. I smell trouble ahead.

I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't do this in a public meeting room like at a hotel. I'm heavily leaning towards this solution... although it means that I wouldn't be bringing the Oris 200 system along.

Thoughts?

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 53
Hotels cost money. Hotel meeting rooms cost even more money.
...And we want to hear Oris.

We'll be good, Nick. We promise not to torture kitten.

Jul 13, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
man...I wish I could hear that oris system...

Come to Dallas, Tim. Bring the Szekeres.

By the way -- odds are very high that the McCormack will not be there as I have a sale pending. Sorry to any of you who cared but judging by the lack of interest in buying it, it doesn't seem like many of you did.

Jul 15, 2002 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 53
This is just a suggestion but do any of you know a willing Hi-Fi shop in the Dallas area and/or do any of you have a bigger place?

Just my 2c...

PS: I wish I was in Dallas (sounds like I wish I was in Dixie?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back